Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple headed in the right direction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Why did Apple change Disk Utility so drastically? They might as well have removed the app completely. No more permissions repair. No more multi-pass Disk erase. No more restore disk image. I could go on and on. What happened? Has it gotten any better in Sierra? Apple seems to want to push away the computer enthusiast crowd. Apparently must not be a big enough market share for the stakeholders to care about. Jobs is probably rolling over in his grave.

I won't even go into soldered on RAM. Glued in battery. Removing USB ports. Removing headphone jack. How about instead of "The thinnest MacBook Pro yet" we get "The most useful MacBook yet"? IMHO

Edit: Wasnt sure where to post my "rant" Please MODS move if need be.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Restore from disk image and multi-pass erase are both still there in the latest MacOS Sierra Disk Utility. In addition, Apple brought back the RAID GUI in the MacOS Sierra Disk Utility (although I'll agree El Capitan shouldn't have been released without some form of this). So before you start complaining about missing functionality, make sure that functionality is actually missing first.

But regardless, I think Apple is indeed neglecting the professional/power user market, and realizing it as well - if what was said regarding the Mac Pro is to be believed. Let's hope that this time they learn from their mistakes, and not repeat 13 years later...

Reactions: Andy2k

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Glad to hear some functionality was restored in Sierra. It's getting to a point where I'm afraid to upgrade Mac OS because I don't know what functionality I would lose in the process. I think the new OS every year is hurting their business model. Putting out these half baked OS's every year. Thanks for your response.

Restore from disk image and multi-pass erase are both still there in the latest MacOS Sierra Disk Utility. In addition, Apple brought back the RAID GUI in the MacOS Sierra Disk Utility (although I'll agree El Capitan shouldn't have been released without some form of this). So before you start complaining about missing functionality, make sure that functionality is actually missing first.

But regardless, I think Apple is indeed neglecting the professional/power user market, and realizing it as well - if what was said regarding the Mac Pro is to be believed. Let's hope that this time they learn from their mistakes, and not repeat 13 years later...

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
I would really like to see a complete overhaul of disk utility. It was never that great, but man did they nail it with the new version. I frequently have to format some drives and in 95% of all attempts it just fails. I don't understand how they could release something like this and I wish that they will offer an expert mode which looks and works just like gparted. Meanwhile gparted works like a charm and does its job perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.