Disk utility shows formatted drive as half full

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ArmanUV, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ArmanUV macrumors member

I wanted to add a partition to my 16GB USB flash drive today and I ran into a problem. Disk utility shows my just formatted drive as half full:

[​IMG]

The "Data" volume is completely empty in Finder. I tried deleting the volume and readding it but Disk utility still shows half of the drive in blue shade. Earasing free space also didn't work.
    When I try to add a new partition, it doesn't allow the original volume to shrink less than the presumed used space:
    [​IMG]

Ideas?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you putting Lion on it ?

If so the "data" may well be the recovery partition.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've noticed it with a USB flash drive too. It's just the blue graphic that seems off - the actual used vs. free numbers are correct.

----------

The recovery partition won't be added until after Lion is installed, and then, only if it's actually installed on the drive - vs. restoring the installer DMG to it. It would also be invisible to Disk Utility (the partition won't show up at all - it's only about 650MB at that).

4. ubergoober macrumors newbie

everythings fine. your wrong, its actually half empty.

5. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

What flash drive are you using? the fact that I couldn't find similar reports on the net means that this is not a widespread issue.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They are Lexar Firefly 8GB.

Sometimes, Disk Utility shows partitions and space used, out of proportion to their actual sizes. You can see this even on a HD if you have very small partitions on a large device.