disk0s2 i/o crash recovery?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ac195, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ac195 macrumors newbie

So here's the deal. The other day while I was restarting I got stuck on the grey/blue boot screen with the apple and spinning circle. After many attempts at rebooting, it still got stuck. I tried booting in safe mode, recovery mode, and booting with the OS X disk. Still, none of this worked and everytime I got stuck on the boot screen. Finally I tried booting in single user mode and it told me I had a disk0s2 i/o error. After inputting the fsck command and eventually getting the ok after it modified the files i rebooted and still got stuck. At that point I decided to just get it checked out at the apple store. They ran a diagnostics check and said the hard drive was basically screwed and they wouldn't be able to recover the data unless I brought it to data recovery place, where it still may not even be fixed. Anyway, I may just be in denial that I lost all my files, music, etc. but based on what i've read on other forums and on support websites, it seems that most people are able to recover their data after a disk0s2 i/o error, and pretty easily for that matter. So, I was wondering if apple is right and I really can't recover my data or if I can still firewire it, run it from an external source, etc.
    The laptop is a Macbook Pro (bought it summer '09) and one more detail that may or may not be important: When I tried to boot in safe mode, as I was holding down shift, every 5-10 seconds a Ø sign would flash into where the apple was. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Your last resort should be to try to use diskwarrior, it might be possible to recover the disk with it, it does a much better job than Disk Utilities, but you need to start up from an external bootable disk for this to work.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, Apple was right, the HDD is done for. You can try to get stuff out of it, but it will be hard and costly.Try using it as an external/secondary disk rather than the primary. Should be enough to get stuff out.

Edit - Like poster above said, Disk Warrior.

Edit 2 - Also, please stick to one thread.

4. ac195 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Right now my first priority is just getting the data, not completely restoring the hard drive. So just to clarify, if I wanted transfer the data from my crashed hdd to another mac, as long as I don't actually have to boot with it I would still be able to transfer the data if I basically hooked it up to the other computer as if it were an external hd? Also, if I was able to do this would I even need DiskWarrior?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, you don't need it to try to recover, but sometimes DW can repair the HD and data recovery would be greatly improved.

I said it might, the HD is most probably damaged beyond repair.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Right now my first priority is just getting the data, not completely restoring the hard drive. So just to clarify, if I wanted transfer the data from my crashed hdd to another mac…"

This is why one maintains something called a bootable backup drive. If you had one of these, you would have been back "up and running" in a few minutes, regardless of the bad internal drive.

Before going further, something to consider:
    - The system folder on your internal drive may be bad (software problem), or,
    - The entire drive may have gone bad (hardware problem).

If the system is bad, the drive may still be "readable", but NOT "bootable".

Do you have the original Apple system DVD that came with the laptop?
    Can you boot from it?
    What are you running on now?

Answer these questions, and we can go further.

There are several "ways to go" here.

One thing to start looking for is a replacement 2.5" drive, and either an external hard drive enclosure (2.5"), or (perhaps better), a USB3/SATA "docking station" ($20-40).

7. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

How did it all turn out in the end? I am basically in the same situation - also with a summer 2009 MBP with a 500GB 7200rpm seagate drive.

I get a lot of the disk0s2 i/o errors, but SMART says the disk is OK and disk utily see no errors on the disk :confused::confused:

My thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16825932#post16825932