Dislike button

techfreak23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Why is there a daily limit on the number of times we can use the dislike button? We can like an unlimited number of comments, but not dislike? That doesn’t make any sense at all... Why even have it as an option if you limit it to what seems like 5 dislikes a day?

Attachments

Reactions: jbachandouris

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
Why is there a daily limit on the number of times we can use the dislike button? We can like an unlimited number of comments, but not dislike? That doesn’t make any sense at all... Why even have it as an option if you limit it to what seems like 5 dislikes a day?
That’s pretty funny, actually. Now you need to ration your negative reactions through the day. “It‘s 9pm, should I admit that I dislike this comment or save my last one in case someone says something even stupider later?”
I'm not even seeing a dislike button. Is this just a trial for some users?
Press and hold on “like” To see more options.
Because the button usage is under the trial / testing phase.
When is the new dislike quota issued? Is it at midnight local time, or is it timed to a specific time zone? Can the Europeans unleash two days worth of dislike on a Friday if they know they’ll probably not check in again until Sunday while the Western Hemisphere have to use it or lose it by midnight in LA?

techfreak23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
When is the new dislike quota issued? Is it at midnight local time, or is it timed to a specific time zone? Can the Europeans unleash two days worth of dislike on a Friday if they know they’ll probably not check in again until Sunday while the Western Hemisphere have to use it or lose it by midnight in LA?
I’m curious about that too. If it’s in a “trial/testing phase” now, will it still be limited when it’s no longer in that phase...? 🤔

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
I think making the background color of the button something more neutral (than red) would take some of the sting out, while getting the point across.
Good lord. Are you implying that some folks may be overly sensitive and may be mentally and/or emotionally impacted by having their post designated "Dislike" in the colour red? Let's not have this mirror the "Everyone in the race gets a medal as there are no winners and losers in life" or covering nude statues with draping so as to not offend a tiny minority of gallery visitors.

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Hello, I came here to give my opinion (and complain) about the downvote button. I praised MacRumors ten years ago when they removed the downvote and let only the positive feedback. Because positive feedback leads to a positive discussion on a positive community. Now, this is only gonna make worse the discussions on the forum. I mean, I get that some non respectful comments get spotted, but I thought we already had the Report button for that. Why put a button that opens disagreements not based on an adult discussion?

I disagree with what you said? Ok, I’ll post a reply explaining, like an adult, why I disagree. This button just allows people mark those comments they don’t want to hear, like my first downvote when I said that a new iPhone 5 was not going to happen. People like to think that they will have a new iPhone with the old iPhone 5 design, then comes someone to prick their bubbles, and get a ton of dislikes just by being realist.

Honestly, that’s not gonna contribute to a healthy discussion.

I can elaborate my reasons further, but now I have to go, maybe later. I just hope those downvotes are not kept record of in the profile

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Reasoning behind the disagree button

- It's only on news stories
- News stories have a ranked "top" comments under the news article.
- Without negative feedback, it's impossible for a comment to get removed from the page.
- Disagree gives some feedback mechanism and some balance to the voting system for news stories.
- If you feel like someone is abusing it, let us know.

arn

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Populus

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
Ok, ironically I disagree 😆 but I’m not using a button for that. Instead, I’ll keep replying with a comment post, as that is constructive criticism. I won’t use the button, and will let people know that I don’t take the downvote as a disagreement, just the replies directed at me, as that’s what adult people do in a discussion, share arguments and not push a button because I don’t like what I’m reading.

I hope you dont take this negatively, I like the site, the forum, and I’ve spent a lot of hours of my life here. I’ve showed my joy with the new forum and the community here. Just let me disagree with this, that’s all. Obviously it seems like I’m in the minority here, so I accept it, and life goes on. No hard feelings, MacRumors is still an awesome site I want to keep being part of. I have only two options left: Ignore the dislikes, or reply to each and every dislike with my arguments of why I posted what I posted. Just to save time I think I will ignore this negative (unproductive) feedback.

However, I can understand how it might work for the top comments on the news, and so far, it seems it is implemented only there, so maybe it is not as bad as I thought. Anyways a comment was removed from the top section when others with more upvotes replaced it on the top. But yeah I get the point.

M-Life

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2006
Hol-Leawood
Good lord. Are you implying that some folks may be overly sensitive and may be mentally and/or emotionally impacted by having their post designated "Dislike" in the colour red? Let's not have this mirror the "Everyone in the race gets a medal as there are no winners and losers in life" or covering nude statues with draping so as to not offend a tiny minority of gallery visitors.
Why can I never find the Dislike button when I need it?

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Have you been paying attention to sites that have dislikes enabled? It’s a snowflake meltdown for some, and a petty weapon for sad people.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Have you been paying attention to sites that have dislikes enabled? It’s a snowflake meltdown for some, and a petty weapon for sad people.
It depends on the site. An upvote and downvote system is quite helpful on technical minded forums. To clear out answers with a high level of inaccuracy and highlight those which are particularly helpful to an ops issue or question.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It depends on the site. An upvote and downvote system is quite helpful on technical minded forums. To clear out answers with a high level of inaccuracy and highlight those which are particularly helpful to an ops issue or question.
Yeah for Q&A it makes sense. For community discussion / chit chat it can feel more personal.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I think the dislike button is helpful as sometimes I have an issue with a comment yet can't find the words to properly say I don't like something.

The love with eyeball hearts is a total waste. I have never used that.

• Love
Reactions: I7guy

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think the dislike button is helpful as sometimes I have an issue with a comment yet can't find the words to properly say I don't like something.

The love with eyeball hearts is a total waste. I have never used that.
I interpret the eyeball hearts as a super like. More than simply agreeing with someone. Rather that post drilled to the core of the issue and got everything right. Nothing more needs to be said.