Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
I run my monitors on the separate mini display ports on my 2015 15 rMBP with dGPU. But mine are not 4K. But, no matter, I prefer to split the bandwidth required between the two display ports.

Since I program I am contemplating a 4K, but not sure I can read the text if it gets any smaller than on a 1920 X 1200 display. I guess the 4K would make the text sharper at 1920 X 1200, like the retina screen. However, am also looking at at the 34 inch curved Samsung.

The text is very readable on a 4k 27 inch monitor that I have. Just need to set the scaling properly. Looks so much crisper than when I was using my old iMac 27" 2009 screen as a second monitor.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The text is very readable on a 4k 27 inch monitor that I have. Just need to set the scaling properly. Looks so much crisper than when I was using my old iMac 27" 2009 screen as a second monitor.

Good to know. But how are your eyes? I am at the age where I need to where reading glasses to read a pill bottle in my hand. On a 1920 X 1200 monitor I find most fonts below 10 pts cause me eye strain. So if I had a 4K monitor I might have to pixel double it like a retina display which leaves me with a super crisp 1920 X 1200 display.

Last edited:

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Mac OS is not walled garden. Just because an OS does have native support for a certain piece of hardware does not make it a walled garden.
Having to wait for Apple to add compatibility for a piece of hardware = walled garden.

Nvidia is either not allowed to put out OSX video drivers or refuses to play by Apple's approval rules, but either way we (Mac users) are the sore losers in this constant battle. The only alternative is to rely on hackintosh info and testers to figure out what can unofficially work (at your own risks and you're very much on your own if anything goes wrong).

Reactions: jerryk

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Having to wait for Apple to add compatibility for a piece of hardware = walled garden.

Nvidia is either not allowed to put out OSX video drivers or refuses to play by Apple's approval rules, but either way we (Mac users) are the sore losers in this constant battle. The only alternative is to rely on hackintosh info and testers to figure out what can unofficially work (at your own risks and you're very much on your own if anything goes wrong).

Actually I think you'll find Apple refuses to play by nvidias walled garden and non universal rules and acces to its cards, it's one big reason they went to AMD.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
For what it is worth, I contacted Apple through Apple Chat and they claim that I can run 2 externals at full 4K resolution plus the internal monitor on either the 13" and 15" rMBP. They further suggested that I would connect one through mDP, then the two monitors to each other through HDMI In/Out. Until I see it in person, I have some doubts about the connection information, but I am merely relaying what they stated.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
For what it is worth, I contacted Apple through Apple Chat and they claim that I can run 2 externals at full 4K resolution plus the internal monitor on either the 13" and 15" rMBP. They further suggested that I would connect one through mDP, then the two monitors to each other through HDMI In/Out. Until I see it in person, I have some doubts about the connection information, but I am merely relaying what they stated.

Ask them about the refresh rates of those 2 HDMI monitors. 30 Hz is not going to cut it.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Ask them about the refresh rates of those 2 HDMI monitors. 30 Hz is not going to cut it.
Great question and one I hadn't thought to ask. So, I hopped back onto chat and they claim they can only do 4K at 24 hz refresh, possibly up to 30. They then linked me to the support page (seen earlier in this thread) which gives some conflicting info and suggests 60 hz is an option. Apple chat didn't equivocate: 60 hz not an option.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Great question and one I hadn't thought to ask. So, I hopped back onto chat and they claim they can only do 4K at 24 hz refresh, possibly up to 30. They then linked me to the support page (seen earlier in this thread) which gives some conflicting info and suggests 60 hz is an option. Apple chat didn't equivocate: 60 hz not an option.

I am not surprised they are limited to 30 (or OMG 24) Hz. The MBPs have limited bandwidth. Hopefully the next gen rMBPs with will have Thunderbolt 3 and USB C connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.