Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times reports that The Walt Disney Company is planning a ground-up revival of its retail stores using a high-tech "Imagination Park" concept and has turned to Steve Jobs and the retail store team at Apple for assistance with the project. Jobs became a member of Disney's Board of Directors and the largest individual Disney shareholder when the company acquired Pixar in early 2006.
The involvement of Mr. Jobs, the Apple chief executive who joined the Disney board with the 2006 acquisition of Pixar, is particularly notable. For the first time, Mr. Jobs's fingerprints can be seen on Disney strategy, in the same way that he influenced the look and feel of Apple's own immensely popular retail chain. While Mr. Jobs did not personally toil on the Imagination Park concept, he pushed Disney to move far past a refurbishment.

"Dream bigger -- that was Steve’s message," said Andy Mooney, chairman of Disney Consumer Products.
Jobs reportedly provided Disney with inside information on Apple's retail store development and operations, as well as allowing Disney executive to visit the Apple campus and convincing the company to build a prototype retail store to aid in refining the customer experience.

Disney's "Imagination Park" concept apparently carries several other Apple-like aspects to it, from in-store theater areas to mobile checkout technology for sales associates. The concept has reportedly been approved by the Disney Board of Directors, and the company is currently negotiating with landlords to secure the high-profile locations necessary for the concept.

Article Link: Disney Draws on Steve Jobs and Apple for Retail Store Makeover

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Very cool. I always thought that Disney had the power to do better than their current retail stores. Kudos to them for pulling their strings the right way.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Mouse Genius? Princess Bar? High brushed metal walls with woodgrain countertops to showcase their stuffed animals? Very very Disney.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
At least it's something for managers to spend money on.

Loading up retail space with stuffed animals and keyrings is an art. With steve jobs and a few other external consultants on the case I can't wait to see the end result and to be persuaded into buying a new snow shaker.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Heck, why don't ALL retail stores just turn into Apple-store copies?

Home Depot...F-Street Bookstore...Toys-R-Us...the possibilities are endless!

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Brilliant idea. I love Disney, but their stores are such ****. I don't ever go in them anymore.

They aren't organized at all and theres just stuff everywhere. I'd love to see what Steve and his crew can do to Disney stores.

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
I don't see how drawing all over Steve Jobs is going to improve Disney's retail stores.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
i don't see the mobile checkout being able to work with a disney store.. with all the various merchandise it might get complicated.. key rings pencils, tshirts.. the checkout would need a table!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I'm in a unique position to see how retail is going in the Mall arena. I design and keep up-to-date Mall Directories for about 300 malls. I was there to see Dell Kiosks die a thousand deaths (that was fun) and I have watched so many Disney Stores go out of business that I actually thought they weren't going to be doing stores anymore, just getting out of the retail biz altogether.

This news surprises me. Plus it's going to make me money. Everytime a mall comes back with "put Disney back on", cha-ching! :D

Apple, I love you! :apple:

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
I hate the Apple store except for the hands-on opportunities with Apple products.

On the other hand the Apple store is my favorite store in a mall. :D

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
These stores are going to be completely different than Apple stores, precisely because SJ is directly involved. Others may be just copycat, not SJ. He already convinced Disney to build a real size prototype store: awesome process! Looking forward for them.

SAN66

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
All I can picture is a pack of ravenous children being let into an apple like store and destroying the place.

BOSS10L

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Upstate NY
They could start with more reasonable pricing. Every time we went into a Disney store, it felt like we were at a gift shop in one of their theme parks. If I want to get gouged, let me travel to FL or CA for it.

4 more days until the family heads to FL to get gouged. :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Excuse me sir, one of my mouse ears is ripped.

Make an appointment at the Fairy Bar kid. :D

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Brushed Stainless with a white glowing "Disney D" or Mickey Outline!

Now lets see what Steve can do to help out California Adventures...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
the Disney Store are busy but that lead to teh charm of going in them, like at a theme park. there was so much to see and pick up.

However, in the last few years going into one (or walking by) i felt a dread as there was just so much i didn't want to really be bothered by it. Though i can see the appeal for children wanting to go in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.