Disney's Upcoming Streaming Service 'Disney+' to Launch in Late 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disney today shared additional details on its planned streaming service, which will be called Disney+.

Disney+, which will be home to Disney, Star Wars, and Marvel content, is set to launch in "late 2019," more than two years after it was first announced in August 2017.

[​IMG]

Along with the name for the service, Disney today also shared details on additional content that's coming to Disney+. Disney is creating a second Star Wars live-action series for the service that's set to go into production next year.
    Disney is also working on a live-action series that's centered around Loki, which will star Tom Hiddleston, who has played Loki in the Thor series of movies.

The two new projects join previously announced content for Disney+ like new stories set in the worlds of Monsters Inc., High School Musical, and Star Wars, which includes "The Mandalorian," a live-action series written by Jon Favreau that is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order.

It's not clear what Disney plans on charging for the Disney+ streaming service, but last year, Iger said that it would be priced "substantially below" Netflix's service. Netflix costs $7.99 for basic SD streaming on one screen and $10.99 for HD streaming on two screens.

Article Link: Disney's Upcoming Streaming Service 'Disney+' to Launch in Late 2019

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Everyone wants a slice of the pie...lots of competition...

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If Disney offered the original Star Wars trilogy (as seen in theaters at the time) instead fo the Lucas hack jobs, I would seriously consider joining. I doubt that will happen. Glad to have the "Despecialized" Harmy versions at the moment.

I would also like to see the old Disney movies, cartoons, and shorts offered. What you see today on iTunes and elsewhere is pale in comparison to what I grew up with.

4. jkool macrumors newbie

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

$5 may try.
    More than that, binge, delete, rinse, repeat.

6. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

I hope they won’t take away Grey’s, How to Get Away With Murder and other Disney/ABC Studio produced shows from other streamers like Netflix and Hulu so that they’ll exclusively stream on Disney+.

7. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Great. Another streaming service that will start out cheap and then one day grow to be expensive.
    We traded bundled cable packages for bundled network apps. How long until they make the entire Fox library too expensive for any other service to lease and then you're forced to subscribe to Disney+?

Why on earth this mega deal was ever approved is BEYOND my understanding. Disney owns something like 30% of the film industry. What in the actual ****?

8. unobtainium macrumors 68020

They will. They announced that they’ll be removing everything Disney/Fox owned from Netflix in 2019. They’re part owners in Hulu so not sure about that one.

9. UnusedLoginID macrumors member

Great, another half-baked streaming service available through yet another half-baked app with half-baked “original” content for $9.99/month going up to $14.99 six months later and $19.99 a year later. All to NOT being able to watch anything interesting Disney. Thanks but no thanks!

10. McG2k1 macrumors member

Sorry Disney, I’m out of money for streaming services.

11. Ion-X macrumors newbie

Ion-X

The original versions shown in theaters no longer exist. Lucas's team of editors cut up the original film to make the edits.

12. 12643 macrumors newbie

13. Ion-X macrumors newbie

Ion-X

I love Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and some Marvel movies but there are just way too many subscription services now. Think of how hard it is to watch the shows you like. Off the top of my head, you need Netflix for Friends, Hulu for South Park, HBO GO for Silicon Valley, CBS All Access for the Star Trek series, ESPN GO for sports, Viki for Korean dramas, and Crunchyroll for anime.

The worst part is that you still need a cable subscription to stream many shows.

14. toph2toast, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

toph2toast macrumors 6502a

Just curious how you’ve come to that conclusion about an app/service that won’t be going live until late next year.

15. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

What’s so weird is that Disney will own 60% (the majority) of Hulu after Fox deal goes through. Yet they’re still creating a new service and will have to create two unique sets of exclusive content.

16. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

I have the first one on VHS. They can borrow it.

17. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I am reading all the comments about “too many streaming services” and I am laughing my ass off. Because it was not too long ago members here were harping about a la carte services. Buying individual channels/services and how bundled cable sucked. Whenever I and other mentioned that a la carte would be even more expensive than cable.... they didn’t believe us.

Now you have many choices of “channels” and now you see what we were saying all along.

Told ya!

18. cknibbs macrumors regular

I am looking forward to this. There is way to much filler content on Netflix. I’ll gladly pay for Disney+ when it comes to Canada. Aside from Netflix there isn’ much worth subscribing to in the great white north.

19. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

For which they're slated to spend some serious time in the Sarlacc.

20. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors regular

H.E. Pennypacker

People already complaining about a service that doesn’t even exist yet. So here we are with lots of choices (great for consumers) and people cry. These are the same people who cry about not having enough choices. You just can’t please some people.

21. entropyfl macrumors regular

I don’t see how they have enough new content to warrant a streaming service. Unless of course they include the abc and fox stuff but then the average joe doesnt really associate those with being Disney so the branding is a a bit confusing if that happens.

I still think it’s cheaper to buy what you want instead of renting/streaming.

I don’t have cable and I just pay for the shows I watch in a season pass via iTunes which usually works out cheaper over the year

22. bumbo macrumors regular

bumbo

The Disney streaming service in the UK is already priced lower than Netflix and is actually a really good service. Lots of content

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

That's impossible. By 2025, the Typical American is expected to be a digital subscriber to (an average of) 17 streaming services, each with their own app. They are all competing services. And best of all, you'll have to log into (an average of) 17 different accounts, with 17 account passwords, and there will be 17 different recurring monthly charges billed to your credit card.

This is the future! Embrace it! :D

24. Enclavean macrumors member

Enclavean

Is this already out?

25. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Agreed! The only reasons for the re-releases and edits was to make money. The edits were justification for the re-release. They were needed. George Lucas never went back and redid any of his other movies. All pointless edits too.

I would love the original Empire Strikes Back!