Display for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsavvytech, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I am in the market to get a monitor for my macbook pro, and i was just wanting to know what experience and of you have had with your monitors. I am looking to get a 21" or bigger, 1920 x 1080 resolution, mini display port connection and in the $300 - 400 price mark. I haven't got the biggest budget for this so i was just wondering what anyone else had bought and their experience.

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Are you dead-set on having a Mini DisplayPort input on your monitor? Cause that eliminates a good number of monitors...

3. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Not dead set, if there is a monitor that doesn't have it that is much better then one that does have it i suppose... But I am pretty keen on using it, mini display port that is.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

Err.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but while there are many great monitors that have native DP inputs, the only monitors that have native MiniDP inputs are Apple displays.

I don't understand why you would be keen on using mini-DP.

5. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Do you think apple made mini-DP?
    mini-DP was designed to replace hdmi and dvi, it allows monitors to be thinner because they don't need advanced circuitry and delivers much higher bandwidth then dvi and higher bandwidth then the new hdmi standard. HDMI cables are also more expensive and in my experience fragile. MiniDisplay Port is just a new standard that isn't quite as common as dvi or hdmi.
    If you go to cnet 20-24" displays there top display has a mini display port which cnet regard as excellent. There are also many dell, i think hp and other manufactures making computers with display port ports

6. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Oh and when i mean mini-dp i don't really mean an actual mini display port on the monitor i just mean display port sorry i just understood what you meant, my bad ;(

7. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Damn im getting good at forgetting things LED is a must

8. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone?

9. c7aea macrumors regular

10. doingitlive macrumors member

11. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with my 25". Came with two HDMI ports and I added a three into one so I have plenty of room for more stuff. 1920x1080 resolution.

Think I paid $199 for it, eventually I'll splurge on a cinema...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

VESA made displayport.

They're certainly not more expensive.

It really isn't though. With Apple, sure. But for now, HDMI is the current standard.

These top displays get such high ratings because they use IPS displays, which is the same technology Apple uses in their cinema displays. It has less to do with the cable, then it does the technology in the display.

13. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dell ultrasharp displays are great. They're IPS panels and many have display port ins.

14. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You Need to learn facts before you post about something you obviously don't understand! The only useful part of your post is that VESA made display port the rest just shows how foolish you are. display port is royalty free, daisy chain-able, has slightly higher bandwidth, higher AUX channel bandwidth and more importantly is the native port on my computer. And as for saying HDMI is the current standard, it may be in TVs and currently in computers but display port is catching on and was designed to be a higher bandwidth equivalent for computer displays. Finally i realise both HDMI and DisplayPort have enough bandwidth to exceed the limit of the max resolution of any monitor out today (sensible), i am just merely sating facts.

15. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Now that my ranting is over :)
    Thank you everyone else for your interesting posts the Dell looks interesting, apart from the fact it is well a Dell.
    Gonna do some research on Dell monitors, if they are anything like Dell computers...

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I highly recommend the Dell U2311H E-IPS monitors. Wait for those deals on these monitors & they are pretty good quality for the price (especially if you got them on sale).

Good luck. :)

17. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

PS: what screen is that?

18. c7aea macrumors regular

Dell Ultrasharp have a 3 year warrantee and a dead pixel guarantee. The colors on my ultrasharp are absolutely amazing.

19. movieboy23 macrumors regular

It's some Hannspree, according to the logo on the top picture, but it also looks like they're connecting to it using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI connector, which you had previously nixed.

20. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

If you can spend a little more, this is an option - you might be able to get it a little over your high end limit, if you're patient. You probably will be able to use this one for a while:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

Good luck!

21. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I live in australia but so the price may be a little more in Australia... Not because of currency exchange but because of company markups and taxes

22. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I like the look of the Dell UltraSharps however i have just one question how much of a difference are you going to notice between a 2ms response time and a 8ms response time. i know 8ms isn't exactly amazing however really 8ms is 8/1000 of a second. So will i really be able to notice the difference.
    PS: My eyes are very sharp, i don't think i can see 6/1000 of a second but, but i can definitely see the difference between 60 and 90 FPS, funnily enough someone didn't believe me so they tested me.

23. c7aea macrumors regular

My 30" is rated at 7ms, Movies and my xbox 360 look great. I have never compared a 2ms screen to an 8ms one. Maybe you can see a difference. With that being said the Ultrasharp isn't a gaming screen, it is meant to reproduce colors as accurately as possible, and for that I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.

24. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Hannspree HF255. The monitor came with an HDMI to DVI cable which I attached via minidisplay to DVI. I could have bought the MD to HDMI but I already had the adapter i'm using.

I can't complain for $199

25. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Well i don't intend on playing any FPS games like Call of Duty on it because i don't think my computer could play at 1920x1080. I may may may may may play games like SC2, however it will mainly be for a extension to my screen and especially for when i am doing programming.