Display goes to sleep too fast

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aebloomfield, Apr 24, 2015.

1. aebloomfield macrumors newbie

I've noticed the display goes to sleep after around 10 seconds. Even if you are using the stopwatch app it doesn't stay awake. My boyfriend is a nurse and needs to use a watch for pulses, he says it needs to stay a wake a lot longer than that. Anyone find a way around this?

2. whatos macrumors 6502a

3. Robert M., Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015

Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Does the Apple Watch display stay on when using apps? If so, what about using a timer app?

If not, then he'll probably have to keep turning his wrist.

--

As a sidenote, I want to say, "thanks!" While looking around for answers, I ran across the fact that the Mini-Launcher I have installed on my Android Wear watches, has a little lock icon in its quick-access settings mode that I never tried. Turns out it locks the display on, so watchfaces can show the seconds (and/or animations) for as long as I wish. This is fantastically helpful to me! Thanks again!

5. cwieberdink, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

cwieberdink macrumors member

I'm interested in answers for this too. I'm a midwife and need to do pulses and fetal heart tone counts. Does the stopwatch app stay open? I don't have my watch yet (modern buckle boohoo!!) so I can't test for myself.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yeah there were things I was trying to show my family on the display and it was annoying having the watch turn off. I understand the need to conserve battery but there needs to be exceptions for certain watch functions. This is worth writing to Apple about so they can fine tune the software.

7. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Yep, this is top of my list. I used stopwatch it's 5 second , it should be 10. I'm SHOCKED after months or years of testing this is what they decided was optimal. Rally bad. At least give me option to adjust it

8. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

If the display comes on because you raised your wrist it'll go off after about 5 seconds. If it comes on because you tapped it it'll stay on for about 18 seconds or so.

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

It's weird. I will sometimes interact with the watch and have the screen turn off one second later.

10. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Yeah it's annoying to raise your wrist and then have the screen go off like 0.38 milliseconds later

11. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

The display time out is my only gripe, wish the watch app allowed you to choose a few options on length on that

12. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

This is annoying but thankfully this is something that can be fixed with a software update. Hopefully soon.

13. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

That's what I was thinking, I'm sure feedback on this has started to hit Apple and the next software tweak hopefully will include a few time choices

14. Naster macrumors member

Yeah i got my wife one as well, she is also a nurse, and she needs to be able to use the second hand to count pulses as well and after one day she is totally pissed that the face won't stay on for more than 18 seconds if you tap it. it should stay on until you lower your wrist period, i hope apple fixes this.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It seems like a nurse would be better off with a real watch rather than a smart watch, most of the nurses I know work 12 hour shifts, and if you're having the screen stay on longer than the default that will cut the battery life quite a bit and might start getting them in trouble towards the end of their shifts.

16. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I didn't take the rude comment as homophobic since we don't know your gender. I took it as sexist, implying men shouldn't be nurses.

I used the stopwatch and got just over 19 seconds before the screen went out. I'm sure it's something Apple can adjust easily via software. Hopefully there will be a setting to adjust the time before the screen turns off and even allow some apps to keep the screen on.

17. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

The more I play with it, the more I feel like it wasn't ready for market. If keeping the screen on for a minute kills the battery super fast then why bother?

It would've been cool if they found a way to put a battery in the Sport band.

Like in this patent. Hopefully it comes one day.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/16/a-look-at-some-flexible-batteries-that-could-power-iwatch-video/

18. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

19. Alith macrumors 6502

Hmm just tested mine and also get between 18-20 seconds. One of the reasons I was looking forward to the watch was measuring pulses as I have to get my iPhone out every time. I measure over 20 or 30 seconds and multiply by three or two so this is not enough. Measuring over 15 and multiplying by four is just not accurate enough, especially if the result is going to be between 55-65, which could result in a big difference in clinical management.

20. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Thanks! Just made a recommendation for there to be an option.

21. Alith macrumors 6502

That's really helpful, thanks. I put in a suggestions to have the stopwatch app stay on indefinitely, or to stay on until wrist is lowered, or to have an option to set a screen cut-off time.

22. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

I think display stays on undefinitely only when on Passbook, but that's it. Kinda weird it shuts off so quickly, even for battery..

I don't even have time to appreciate my jellyfish :(

23. Apple II macrumors newbie

I'm sure they didn't want the review units draining battery all the way down so locked it down in a very harsh way.

Agree this is very annoying and should be user controllable. Plus, if it can sense when the wrist comes up it certainly ought to be able to sense when the wrist goes back down to turn it off.

24. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I was reading something on my Watch and kept my finger on the screen gently and it stayed on.