Display issues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by binaries, May 26, 2015.

1. binaries macrumors newbie

Anyone having issues with part of the screen is not showing ? I have a round dark spot towards top right of the watch face.

Not exactly sure how to explain it, but I have uploaded few pictures.

Attached Files:

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Does a restart fix it? If not, looks like a screen fail to me

3. binaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the restart. I will call apple and see what they say. Have a feeling that I will have to ship it for repair. Was wondering if others are having any similar issues

4. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

the screen is busted. I've seen many others with same issue.

5. binaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Can they repair it? or Apple is providing a replacement?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You have seen many other :apple:Watches (OLED's)? Where do you see them?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I, too, would like to know where you have seen this. This is a first for me and I am here daily and not seen this.

8. cruzmisl macrumors regular

Probably at least the 4th time I've seen this on MR or Reddit

9. TC400, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015

TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

10. binaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Now entire screen flashes different colors. Called apple. Have an appointment tonight with Genius bar. Unless they carry replacements, I have a feeling that I will not have the watch for couple of months. sucks

11. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

If you are in your first 14 days change it for a new one, That is busted

12. Eightyone macrumors regular

That should be 1 yr warranty issue, 14 days or not.

By chance, did you get the watch wet?

OLED screens do NOT react well to water.

Yes, the watch is water resistant; some might have better build tolerances than others - as one might have a spot that allowed some moisture ingress, that another does not.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

14. papbot macrumors 6502

Most stores won't have replacements. But if yours does you'll get it right then. If it doesn't they will enter all the pertinent info and tell you to call AppleCare and they will ship one out that day or the next depending on model and their stock I suppose. I just did this today, called in before noon and was told I should have it by tomorrow or Thursday. I do have AppleCare+ for it and it is a 42mm SS model. Thats using their Express Replacement available with AppleCare, they do put a hold on a credit card for the value of the watch which will be released when you ship the defective one back.

15. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

16. crispApple macrumors regular

crispApple

17. binaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got back from apple store. They will give me a new one but I will have to wait 3-4 business days.
    Yes, I did get it wet...A LOT. I having been swimming (pool) with it almost everyday.
    They said its a crack LCD. I do have apple care +. They are considering it as one of the incidents. Charging me basic fees.
    I did ask them that how can I damage LCD without an impact. Ohh well. Its 42 mm

18. Eightyone macrumors regular

It's probably not truly cracked, but the watch is water resistant - not water proof. They didn't know how to classify the damage, as its Apple's first OLED - just that water made its way into the watch, through an irregular seal or spacing.

Water eventually getting to an OLED screen is disastrous and completely destroys them. It's an inherent flaw with OLED technology.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Honestly, it's not rated to go swimming with.

20. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

Swimming or no swimming you shouldn't have to use AppleCare for this. Other people with this problem which was actually at the exact same location just got simple replacements. This is a defect

21. crispApple macrumors regular

crispApple

Not really surprised, as the watch is water resistant, not fully water proof. What did u think would Happen?

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You need to go back and get clarification because the info you received is WRONG. The :apple:Watch doesn't have an LCD so it can't be "cracked". You need to know:

Was the crystal cracked?

A) If yes then you are responsible and will have to pay if it was a user crack. If it was a manufacture defect crack then see B.

B) If no then it would be covered under warranty.

23. macdaddy86 macrumors 6502

macdaddy86

I have seen a few posts on here too with this exact issue, i think they have also been related water too...

Should have just played dumb instore, should be covered under warranty if you "didn't know how it got there" ;)

24. binaries thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. Exact same spot at the other thread. This can't be a coincidence. I will not be swimming with the replacement for sure. I am going to talk with them when I pick it up. Considering it as an incident in not fair. I dont care for the small fees but don't like being charged for a known (kind of) problem.