Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You're funny! And BMW should match the price of Kia and Hyundai. Regardless of features, BMW has to compete on price. :rolleyes:

You're even funnier trying to infer that a BMW represents the same type of market share and demo that Apple does with the iPad. Your example is illogical and invalid.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I can't see this happening.
It works with the phones cause of the subsidised pricing.

But with the iPad most people buy them outright. And when you have trouble not selling out with them at full price, there's no sense to reduce the price. Also less fragmentation is better. Cause then developers can make their new versions of apps for one new iPad, and not one new iPad and some old version of iPad.

designstemplate

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
If apple keeps Ipad 2 in production I think the Ipad 2 will stay at the same price and the Ipad 3 will be much higher.

iTattoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Toronto
The last time the iPhone was updated, Apple reduced the storage in the old model, and left it in the product line up for a reduced price. (A few months ago, I bought a 'free on contract' iPhone 4 8GB, which are on offer here in HK.)

I think it's quite likely that Apple will Launch the iPad 3 in March and leave a budget option of an 8GB iPad2 for USD 399 or *maybe* USD 349.

If they do leave a 16GB iPad 2 in the lineup, I think the iPad3 will be 32/64/128 GB. (6GB free is pretty small for an iPhone, let alone an iPad.)

I'd agree with this except that the iPad 2 will continue to have 16GB. 8GB is too small to have a good user experience. Apple is all about the user experience. The iPad 2 will be just the entry level iPad, at either $349, or more likely somewhere up to $399. The iPad 3 will have the same price points as the current iPad 2, the only difference being the A6 processor, better graphics, higher res screen, and possibly lower weight and thinner.

sexualchocolate

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
The last time the iPhone was updated, Apple reduced the storage in the old model, and left it in the product line up for a reduced price. (A few months ago, I bought a 'free on contract' iPhone 4 8GB, which are on offer here in HK.)

I think it's quite likely that Apple will Launch the iPad 3 in March and leave a budget option of an 8GB iPad2 for USD 399 or *maybe* USD 349.

If they do leave a 16GB iPad 2 in the lineup, I think the iPad3 will be 32/64/128 GB. (6GB free is pretty small for an iPhone, let alone an iPad.)

This is something we should all keep in mind. Older iPhone versions were never offered with the same amount of storage as the current version. So if they are going to offer a cheaper iPad 2, the offered storage capacity will probably be hard to deal with for most of us.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah

I kinda debate whether 8gb is enough for an iPad, but they could probably get away with it. (Mostly I'm just dreaming of a 128gb iPad, heh. I'm one of those old-school carry-as-much-of-my-library-with-me-as-I-can people.)

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If they don't get the price below 199 I'll have to go go with the kindle. It doesn't have that excessively big screen, that privacy invading camera, and it has that fragmented app store with only the apps I really need. Less clutter. Apple, step up your game.

I have a kindle fire and its the biggest POS. Laggy as hell, the browser sucks and is slow, text is hardly readable without having to zoom in and the Apps are nothing but blown up phone apps. I only use it to read some books. Everything else is done on the ipad. Amazon really suckered people into buying a crap tablet. Its best to save some money and buy the real thing.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
It's Amazing how Apple's trained its customers to pay a premium. But the point is that the competition is at $200, and especially in this economy if enough people buy from Amazon, it gives them a beachhead into Apple's market. Regardless of features, which don't always mean as much to the average consumer, Apple has to compete on price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname
You're funny! And BMW should match the price of Kia and Hyundai. Regardless of features, BMW has to compete on price.

TWSS37
You're even funnier trying to infer that a BMW represents the same type of market share and demo that Apple does with the iPad. Your example is illogical and invalid.

Just because you are unable to see the logic, does not make it illogical or invalid. To say that a product that costs more to manufacture, has higher quality parts, does more, and does it better (in independent reviews) should be priced the same as a lower quality product is what is illogical. The analogy to BMW and Kia is very relevant. Both auto manufacturer's products do essentially the same thing at the fundamental level, albeit with very different levels of quality, from power plants to quality of materials and fit and finish. Very analogous to the differences in the "functionally similar" devises; iPad and Kindle Fire.

Nice try though. :rolleyes:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hmm, so if 300ppi is the supposed "retina" lower bound, then why are you calling this a "retina" display? ipad 2 is 132ppi, this would be 264ppi quite a bit short of apple's "retina" marketing.

Retina refers to the pixel density at which the user cannot discern individual pixels at the normal operating distance.

That was determined to be 300ppi at the phone distance. An iPad is held further away, so the density doesn't need to be as high to be Retina.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Keeping the iPad 2 only makes sense if it's only available as a 16GB WiFi and then offering the the iPad 3 at current price points w/ 32, 64, and 128GB storage.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's Amazing how Apple's trained its customers to pay a premium. But the point is that the competition is at $200...

Did you miss the fact that the iPad costs more because it's better hardware? Might as well complain that the company charging $4 for a gallon of milk is bilking customers since someone else sells a half gallon for $2.50.

Once Amazon builds one with comparable hardware and features at a lower price, then we'll talk.

...without cheapening the rest of the brand like a ~ $350 "last years model" iPad 2 would do.

Yet Apple is "cheapening the brand" by selling last years (and the one before that!) iPhone at a discount. How's that working out for them?

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Cash in hand for both. The iPad 3 for personal, every day use and 3 iPad 2's for my 1 year old set of triplets. I'd get 4 iPad 3s but I don't think you can pre-order more than 1 at a time and I don't want to have to make them wait longer than they already have.

Seems sort of irresponsible if you ask me....The retina screens would be a lot better for the young ones. They have sensitive developing eyes and the retina screen would cause a lot less strain. But after a post like this I suppose you think high fructose corn syrup is acceptable. :confused:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Thats a good move, it'll eliminate the competition. iPad 2 starting at $349 is just too good:D:apple:

Good for Apple, but bad for consumers. Competition is a good thing for us.

When the iPhone had no real competition, users got excited over trivial updates like MMS and a landscape keyboard.

When there was a perceived serious threat, Apple got into gear and produced a the iPhone 4 - a game changing device.

The best thing for consumers is for the Kindle (and other tablets) to provide legitimate competion. Competition breeds innovation, not market dominance.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I wonder if they'll keep the entry level model with the same storage capacity or drop it down to 8gb similar to the Kindle Fire... it would be nice of them to keep it at 16gb. But one has to wonder if Apple will cut corners for the entry level model like they tend to have done in the past when they did price drops (removing docks, extra cables, bundling cheaper headphones, etc)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
$399 sounds right.

When Apple raised the price of the Mini to $599 (but added features) - people complained, but then you were able to get one refurbished for $519.

Apple wouldn't want to take away from their refurbished market, so you'd at least be able to get one for around $319...

Now if that's the refurbished price for an iPad 2 16 Gig Wi-Fi, imagine the price of an iPad 1 in the refurbished store... :eek:

;)

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Keeping the iPad 2 only makes sense if it's only available as a 16GB WiFi and then offering the the iPad 3 at current price points w/ 32, 64, and 128GB storage.

With iOS devices, historically, Apple has doubled the max storage capacity of their devices on the third generation (and again on the 5th generation of the iPhone... there isn't really a 5th gen Touch). Barring other limitations-- physical space and cost (if for some reason storage technology hasn't continued at a similar pace as in the past)-- it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 128gb iPad 3.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'd agree with this except that the iPad 2 will continue to have 16GB. 8GB is too small to have a good user experience. Apple is all about the user experience. The iPad 2 will be just the entry level iPad, at either $349, or more likely somewhere up to $399. The iPad 3 will have the same price points as the current iPad 2, the only difference being the A6 processor, better graphics, higher res screen, and possibly lower weight and thinner.

True... but think of the upsell potential.

The "old" 8GB iPad 2 for $399... or the "new" iPad 3 with better screen, twice the storage, faster processor and better cameras for only $100 more.

I think you'd be crazy to get the old iPad for $399 if the new better iPad is $499... but there are some people who are very motivated by price.

The same thing happens today between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Sure, the iPhone 4S is double the subsidized price of the iPhone 4.... but it's got twice the storage, it's faster, better camera, etc. To me... the iPhone 4S is the only way to go. And since the 4S is the best selling iPhone... other people agree.

However... a friend of mine got an iPhone 4 a couple months ago. She said she didn't need the storage and speed of the iPhone 4S... and she's perfectly happy with the iPhone 4 at $99

I think Apple is doing the right thing by making older products more accessible to price conscious customers.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Regardless of features, which don't always mean as much to the average consumer, Apple has to compete on price.

Based on this logic the iPhone 4S should be free because an average consumer may only view it as a cell phone alongside all the free phones that carriers offer.

:confused:

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
According to the report, production of the "Retina" resolution iPad 3 display panels at 2048x1536 pixels will surpass that of the lower-resolution 1024x768 iPad 2 panels by the second quarter of this year, but Apple's suppliers will still push out approximately 25 million iPad 2 panels in 2012. That will be down from an estimated 48 million panels in 2011, but still a substantial number.

One flaw here is that it doesn't account for rolling iPad3 releases. Apple probably won't release worldwide in one shot. Especially for devices with celluar radios in them.

For example, China didn't get the iPhone4S until now ( at least where there is no mob keeping the store closed. ). So Apple could widthdraw the iPad2 from the US market in April but it would still be selling in the majority of countries through August-September. Depending upon if the new screen production actually manages to keep up with the rolling out, the worldwide rollout may even bee slower.

So it is lower risk to keep the iPad2 screens in production because they know they can deliver product with those.

It would not be surprising though if a 8GB iPad2 came out similar to the practice Apple regularly does with the iPhones where the last generation is hobbled a bit with lower store and rolled out at a cheaper price. If they are cutting the orders in half there is something they are going to do that will reduce demand if they lower the price. That is either stop selling them in certain places or remove some functionality (e.g., some storage and cellular modem option).

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
True... but think of the upsell potential.

The "old" 8GB iPad 2 for $399... or the "new" iPad 3 with better screen, twice the storage, faster processor and better cameras for only $100 more.

I think you'd be crazy to get the old iPad for $399 if the new better iPad is $499... but there are some people who are very motivated by price.

The same thing happens today between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Sure, the iPhone 4S is double the subsidized price of the iPhone 4.... but it's got twice the storage, it's faster, better camera, etc. To me... the iPhone 4S is the only way to go. And since the 4S is the best selling iPhone... other people agree.

However... a friend of mine got an iPhone 4 a couple months ago. She said she didn't need the storage and speed of the iPhone 4S... and she's perfectly happy with the iPhone 4 at $99

I think Apple is doing the right thing by making older products more accessible to price conscious customers.

The 4 at $99 and 3GS for free (with a contract) drew in a lot of customers who could justify paying $100, but didn't want to invest $200-$300 in a phone.

There are lots of people who use their iPad just for browsing and apps. They have no need to store 32 gig worth of media on them.

My mother-in-law is hinting around about one. Paying $500-$700 for what would for a solitaire machine and electronic bible is hard to swallow. But if I could pay half of that it would go down easier.....just sayin

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
The 4 at $99 and 3GS for free (with a contract) drew in a lot of customers who could justify paying $100, but didn't want to invest $200-$300 in a phone.

There are lots of people who use their iPad just for browsing and apps. They have no need to store 32 gig worth of media on them.

My mother-in-law is hinting around about one. Paying $500-$700 for what would for a solitaire machine and electronic bible is hard to swallow. But if I could pay half of that it would go down easier.....just sayin

my kids almost entirely hogged my ipad 1 (just sold). If ipad2 is discounted enough, I might be tempted to buy them one to keep them off my ipad 3 (or more likely the ipad 2 would become the coffee table web tablet, and the ipad 3 would be hogged by the kids for games etc)

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The analogy to BMW and Kia is very relevant. Both auto manufacturer's products do essentially the same thing at the fundamental level...

Disagree with that. Kia and BMW do completely opposite things at the fundamental level - one makes you feel "meh", one makes you feel great.

There is nothing more fundamental than raw emotion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.