Display Sleep With Screen Saver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonicted, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sonicted macrumors newbie

sonicted

Okay so here's my scenario. I wanted to use a screen saver which is a cool clock since I do not have any alarm clock or anything in my room, and being that my MBP is always on, why not make it a clock when im not using it? I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my screen if I never let the display sleep and leave the black and white clock screen saver on all the time? Would it really make THAT much of a difference to the life of my screen? Thanks in advance for any responses! Any suggestions on the best settings to use to most save the life of my screen while doing this?:apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't affect the life of your screen to any measurable degree.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It probably wouldn't be all that terrible for your screen, but your hard drive likely wouldn't sleep, and that could be bad. Plus it would use a good bit more power doing that.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see no reason why such a screen saver would prevent the hard drive from sleeping.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That makes sense, although for some reason, mine never sleeps when the screensaver is on.

6. sonicted thread starter macrumors newbie

sonicted

Thanks!

thanks for all the replies, I did leave the box checked which says "put harddiscs to sleep when available" so im guessing that might help? not sure? any other boxes I should check/uncheck to maybe help make it sleep? not sure...:apple:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My guess is there may be some background process that's keeping it awake. You might check Activity Monitor and see what's running. Some widgets in Dashboard could also keep it awake.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Aight. Thanks

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Should be fine, but the screen wont be as 'nice' (bright?) because I think the LEDS dim with time.

Why not get an alarm clock though? Then you don't have to risk banging your laptop with your fist when it rings :cool:

I have no idea how this alarm clock still works after being dropped on the floor and smashed with my hand multiple times.:D:D:eek:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/66802.aspx