Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Dissapointed in iPhone 12 Pro (coming from 6S)

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I wanted to see the details like shadows and overall sharpness. Also I wanted to see how these compare to DSLR sharpness/resolution.

I have never argued that 6S has same low-light capabilities as 12. I was dissapointed to the quality of the low-light photos I got from last night.

Here is the field picture in 100% (the originals are so big that they don't fit my screen).

View attachment 973075

I have X-T30 and Fujinon lens and those new DSLR / mirrorless cameras have amazing dynamic range and sharpness. Same thing; I would like to shoot some of my photos with mobile phone / replace DSLR shooting. BTW: Why I'm interested in the smushyness / blurriness is that I like to make prints out of digital files.
Then it's DSLR period. But I agree, iPhonography is at a point PQ can be better than those old Point & Shoot. But not all. I have all of them and I can tell you, PQ is astonishing.

Comment

Wizec

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2019
If you’re having issues with image quality on an iPhone 11 or 12 Pro, I highly recommend disabling the following two Camera settings:

View Outside Frame
Prioritize Faster Shooting

In my testing either of these being enabled can cause lack of focus, or no Deep Fusion.

You can tell when Deep Fusion kicked in when you first look at the photo right after taking it and it sort of “jumps” and the clarity improves.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
6S and 12 AREN'T all that much different. The 12 is a little zippier and the camera a little better. Screen is different but not necessarily better for everyone.
My conclusion is you've got up wait 10 years to get a get a big jump in improvement- iPhone 6 to iPhone 15. That's the one I'm waiting for

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
The saga continues. I transferred my SIM to my old iPhone 6S to test out iPhone 12 Pro is really so good that I will maybe regret returning the 12 Pro.

First impressions of 6S :
- nice size / quite compact, light -> 12 Pro has felt a bit large
- might be bit slower than 12 Pro but cannot really notice so much that it would bother me. You can argue but the differences are small in reality.
- Touch ID feels more natural, just press button and the phone is open

I know this sounds like trolling.

My plan for the future:
- if 6S feels bad: either buy SE or iPhone 12 Pro Max (I'm still interested finding a DSLR "killer" camera)
- if 6S is fine: wait one year ..

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
If you’re having issues with image quality on an iPhone 11 or 12 Pro, I highly recommend disabling the following two Camera settings:

View Outside Frame
Prioritize Faster Shooting

In my testing either of these being enabled can cause lack of focus, or no Deep Fusion.

You can tell when Deep Fusion kicked in when you first look at the photo right after taking it and it sort of “jumps” and the clarity improves.

Good tip. I think there was a small improvement in "Prioritize Faster Shooting". I don't know why it is enabled by default because the camera seemed to work as previously.

I have to mention that the shutter lag is bothersome, feels like I'm late all the time. (background: I do street photography on film & DSLR)

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
The sensor on an iPhone 12 is has a surface area that is only about 1/3 larger than the 6S sensor. A crop DSLR sensor is around 13 to 14 times as large as the 12 sensor, while a full frame is about 30 times as large as the 12 sensor.

Could it be that 6S sensor itself is for example 90% of the performance such sensors can provide (compared to 12 Pro). That added to 1/3 size increase (which is nothing compared to DSLR as you pointed) the increased performance is done by algoritms rather than being optically better?

Comment

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm still interested finding a DSLR "killer" camera

It simply does not exist. Software can only do so much when paired with a tiny sensor. Yes an iPhone can take great pictures in the right circumstances but in identical ones a dedicated mirrorless or dslr will be better. Probably always will be that way as well.
An image is only as good as the quality and size of the sensor behind the glass.

Reactions: jonppa
Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
An image is only as good as the quality and size of the sensor behind the glass.

Probably the truth.

BTW: now you mentioned "glass" I think the lens flaring in 12 is problematic. I have struggled multiple times trying to avoid it when taking photo. Seems bit strange that Apple included the lens flare to their product packaging too?

Comment

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Probably the truth.

BTW: now you mentioned "glass" I think the lens flaring in 12 is problematic. I have struggled multiple times trying to avoid it when taking photo. Seems bit strange that Apple included the lens flare to their product packaging too?

This is worth a watch if you have the time...

The lens flare you’ll get on any camera shooting into sunlight, you need a lens hood or a filter on a proper camera, to overcome it on a phone the same applies. Cases, lens surrounds etc also play a part in lens flare etc.

Comment

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Imagine how annoying it would be, if faceID went to Homescreen automatically...

“Oh a notific... damn it“

Then you have to swipe down every time, instead of just swiping up when you want to use the phone
Not my intention to pick on you specifically.

This keeps coming up. All you need is for the action to be unlock>homescreen when there are NO notifications.
If there are notifications, unlock>show full notifications>swipe to homescreen. Easy peasy.

Apple could make this change and add the toggle in like 10 minutes.

And honestly it's one of the things that kept me from upgrading from a 7+ thus far. I'm getting a 12 pro max, but if this drives me insane... I don't know. It seems incredibly stupid that this option doesn't exist like 4 OS versions later.

Comment

saber32au

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
My plan for the future:
- if 6S feels bad: either buy SE or iPhone 12 Pro Max (I'm still interested finding a DSLR "killer" camera)
- if 6S is fine: wait one year ..
Any chance you could return the 12 and “test drive” the SE instead? It’ll be very similar (functionality wise) to your 6S, but be faster (more ram and faster processor), have a longer lasting battery and will take better photos compared to the 6S (though I think you’ll be hard pressed to find any phone featuring a “DSLR killer” camera).

Last edited:
Reactions: rawCpoppa
Comment

Guacamole

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2011
I still have the 6s Plus. I returned the iPhone 11 last year because of the face ID and the notch mainly. I just didn't like at all . The camera on the 11 was better , other than that my 6s still works fine. I really want a better camera so I'm hoping next year's iPhone will bring back Touch ID

Comment

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
I’m on a launch 7. Been tempted to upgrade every year but my 7 is still awesome and super fast. I like getting my money’s worth out of things too.

However, if there is the 120hz screen next year I won’t be able to resist. It will actually change the way interacting with the phone feels. I’ve used promotion on an iPad Pro and once you do everything else feels choppy for awhile. I can’t wait.

Hold on to your 6S for one more year and then you should actually feel a difference!

Comment

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Anyone any idea why photos taken with the 12 Pro loke worse than the photos taken with the iPhone X. Even the front camera looks different.

Comment

johnnylarue

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I still have the 6s Plus. I returned the iPhone 11 last year because of the face ID and the notch mainly. I just didn't like at all . The camera on the 11 was better , other than that my 6s still works fine. I really want a better camera so I'm hoping next year's iPhone will bring back Touch ID
Same. If my 6S had a better/healthier batter I’d probably hang onto it until it’s ‘obsoleted’ by Apple.

The problem with iOS being such an efficient and relatively well-optimized system is that the experiences of using a 5-year-old phone vs a brand new one are almost too similar, so once you get past all the flash of a new body and screen size, you realize your expensive new toy is... still just an iPhone. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Face ID would have driven me positively insane if not for a jailbreak tweak that opens it to the home screen. On that point, I don't see myself getting another device without some kind of Touch ID again.

Probably same here. I'm not going to go with the jailbreaks. However Touch ID isn't bad but FaceID could be better without the notch + the need to swipe.

I think Apple should have made display area "rectangle" to hide the notch (keeping clock + signals on current positions) - leaving the notch sides for system use. When returning from app that isn't using notch space to home screen the notch really jumps out in a bad way.

I also played guitar one night and used chords from web page. The web page in landscape was "full screen" so part of the words + chords were always under the notch. The wideness of the display would be brilliant for reading/playing tabs etc. I couldn't pinch zoom the text a bit smaller either. That was quite annoying..

Any chance you could return the 12 and “test drive” the SE instead?

I don't really need to. There will be probably so suddle difference based on my experiences with 12 Pro. I would buy SE only just to upgrade battery / overall hardware (iOS 14 is last iOS for 6s). However iOS 14 is going to exist until next autumn so no rush for SE either really.

The lens flare you’ll get on any camera shooting into sunlight, you need a lens hood or a filter on a proper camera, to overcome it on a phone the same applies. Cases, lens surrounds etc also play a part in lens flare etc.

There is lens flare in other scenes too. For example night shots - which should be the "cookie" of it all. I have Apple original Magsafe case on it.

Lens hood would be quite impractical to have :D

The problem with iOS being such an efficient and relatively well-optimized system is that the experiences of using a 5-year-old phone vs a brand new one are almost too similar, so once you get past all the flash of a new body and screen size, you realize your expensive new toy is... still just an iPhone. 🤷‍♂️

Really well said. Apple is shooting itself in leg by making too good SW (that runs on older phones really fine).

Reactions: Septembersrain
Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Anyone any idea why photos taken with the 12 Pro loke worse than the photos taken with the iPhone X. Even the front camera looks different.

This was my question too when I saw some testing video. And on some of them I clearly preferred more Xs look. I cannot remember what the test was thou :(

Comment

Guacamole

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2011
Same. If my 6S had a better/healthier batter I’d probably hang onto it until it’s ‘obsoleted’ by Apple.

have you replaced the battery yet? I did mine last year and I'm running ios14.1 and still holding ok

Comment

kavuky

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
This was my question too when I saw some testing video. And on some of them I clearly preferred more Xs look. I cannot remember what the test was thou :(
I have both phones, and the photos of the iphone 12 pro are infinitely better than the X, in all situations. Can you show that test video?

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I have both phones, and the photos of the iphone 12 pro are infinitely better than the X, in all situations. Can you show that test video?

What means infinitely better?

I think the thing with my disappointment was that I really thought the photos would be better in means of comparing to DSLR, like bringing mobile phone photography close to DSLR in real measurements.

Everyone boosts/uses superlatives how good the photos are and how much better. I think the scale should be mentioned -otherwise you are referring to whole industry of photography.

Comment

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
have you replaced the battery yet? I did mine last year and I'm running ios14.1 and still holding ok
We had Apple replace the battery is our 6s just before getting our 11’s last year. The 6s still had about half the real-world battery life of the new phones - with a clean install.

What means infinitely better?

I think the thing with my disappointment was that I really thought the photos would be better in means of comparing to DSLR, like bringing mobile phone photography close to DSLR in real measurements.

Everyone boosts/uses superlatives how good the photos are and how much better. I think the scale should be mentioned -otherwise you are referring to whole industry of photography.

It’s hard to understand what you are looking for in a phone camera. The ways in which phone cameras have improved have been demonstrated clearly for you. They can now take pictures that are pleasing to look at and capture the essence of the scene in situations (fast movement, low light, etc) that would take a highly skilled photographer with very expensive equipment, often requiring a tripod and/or flash to replicate with a DSLR - none of which is practical for day to day use. THAT is the real improvement that phone cameras have seen since the 6s - they can take pictures that would otherwise be very difficult to capture - and they make it easy enough that anyone can do it.

If you are going to compare pixels of still scenes in ample light, nope - that’s the sensor size at work, and you aren’t going to see a major difference.

Comment

saber32au

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019

Unsure what articles you've read, or what videos you've been watching, and don't take this as a critism of you, but unfortunately it appears you were drawn into by the marketing buzzwords and illusion of how good a smartphone camera is compared to a dedicated DSLR. As other have pointed out in this thread, you can only do so much with a small sensor...

Everyone boosts/uses superlatives how good the photos are and how much better.

The photos shot on your iPhone 12 will be better compared to your 6S, but I believe your expectations are unrealistically high if you believe the 12 (before you purchased it) was comparable to a decent DSLR (especially so in less than ideal lighting situations). Take this as a lesson learned: Don't buy into the hype of what the paid youtubers are promoting, or the Apple/Pixel/Samsung fanboys are saying. Read widely, and do your own testing and see for yourself if the product works best for you.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.