Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Dissapointed in iPhone 12 Pro (coming from 6S)

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
Imagine how annoying it would be, if faceID went to Homescreen automatically...

“Oh a notific... damn it“

Then you have to swipe down every time, instead of just swiping up when you want to use the phone

Comment

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Here is the field picture in 100% (the originals are so big that they don't fit my screen).

View attachment 973075

And that example proves the difference between the two cameras - in the best possible lighting conditions.

This is what the average person cares about - the newer cameras take much better pictures under a variety of conditions. If you go zooming in looking at the pixels, yes, you are certain to find flaws.

FWIW, the difference between the two images I posted above was all the more obvious when I viewed them on my 27" iMac.

Reactions: Trader05 and jonppa
Comment

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I understand what the OP is saying about the use and picture quality difference. With the camera he is not talking about additional features that make the camera more creative, its the actual quality of the processed shot.

I’ve had a lot of iPhones and Androids (and also WP’s 😂). I mainly switched as a hobby and went for the camera upgrades. What the OP is looking for is Google Pixel quality photos. I’m not telling him to switch but thats the end photo result he is looking for in a smart phone.

Sure the iPhone 11 did a great job catching up with the Pixel camera but based on detail and with certain light conditions there is an obvious difference IF that is what you are looking for. Particularly while editing on a desktop monitor.

I primarily used the Pixel 1 and 3 for the use case of detailed cropping on a desktop. At the times of iPhone 7-XS, there was no comparison. The 11 Pro made me switch back to iPhone as a daily driver because it was 90% there and i prefer iOS.

As for comparisons between using a 6S vs a 12, this totally depends on your use case. Apple does these 5 year software upgrades and for most people their old phone does fine for what they want to do. You have to figure out if the $$ to upgrade for features, battery and faster experience is worth it.

Also if he using manual camera controls through an app or even the stock app, he knows the 6S camera without thinking.
I think change that doesnt produce the results he was looking for makes the upgrade that much more difficult.

The op is sharing his opinion and just because he cant justify the upgrade on an Apple based forum doesnt mean he’s wrong or stupid. Its for his preference and use case.

IMO for amount he spent on the upgrade he could buy a camera that no phone can compare to instead.

Reactions: New York and jonppa
Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
And that example proves the difference between the two cameras - in the best possible lighting conditions.

This is what the average person cares about - the newer cameras take much better pictures under a variety of conditions. If you go zooming in looking at the pixels, yes, you are certain to find flaws.

FWIW, the difference between the two images I posted above was all the more obvious when I viewed them on my 27" iMac.

You are absolutely right. I need to think things differently (no pun here!) and maybe print few photos and then analyze. Nobody looks photos zoomed in. Most of users look these photos from mobile phones, some from laptops.

Reactions: mrklaw
Comment

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
The swipe to open with Face Id is so you can see and read the notifications on your lock screen. Lock screen notifications would be completely useless if every time you looked at your phone it opened to the homepage.

I just wish Apple would have a setting that allows you to enable the instant unlock and not see notifications if you so choose.

Reactions: jonppa
Comment

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
It has a crappy tiny camera sensor - it’ll be way better than the 6s but isn’t ever going to touch the low light capability at high ISO that a DSLR can. And you don’t need to be zooming in 100% - even big prints will look fine

you just need more time with it - indoor is pretty low light and images can look dull. Take some different types and get used to it for a few days

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
It has a crappy tiny camera sensor - it’ll be way better than the 6s but isn’t ever going to touch the low light capability at high ISO that a DSLR can. And you don’t need to be zooming in 100% - even big prints will look fine

you just need more time with it - indoor is pretty low light and images can look dull. Take some different types and get used to it for a few days

You sum things up really well. Sounds like a plan!

Comment

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
You sum things up really well. Sounds like a plan!

And don’t forget you have 14 days to change your mind (and another 14 to return it once you let Apple know) so get to know it before making a decision

Comment

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I'm really surprised you don't like it. I came to the iPhone 12 from a 1st gen SE (sold my XS 2 months ago to get max value prior to the launch) and my experiences are quite different than yours. The SE basically has the same processor and camera as you 6S so I think it's a valid comparison. Aside from the size/weight, 2 months that I spent on the SE were brutal. I find that camera-wise the 12 blows away the 6S/SE in terms of things like detail, HDR, night vision, etc., it's like night and day. The OLED screen quality is way better, it's way faster, face ID is a definite improvement when opening apps that require authentication, you're getting a lot more screen for a similar size, 5G, etc....I could go on and on.

Reactions: JohnnyGo and jonppa
Comment

1rottenapple

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2004
B- troll effort.

The difference is noticeable for 5 or 6 year difference regardless of phone brand.
I know not sure where he’s coming from but opening apps is faster. My xs max is faster than my mom iPhone se (same processor as the 6s) so no way the 12 isn’t noticeable.

OP either is just not technically adept at judging performance, is trolling, or doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The se just laaaaaaags. It’s not unusable but still. It’s slow. Low light is phenomenal on the 11 & 12. You can’t tell the difference between 6s camera and 12, gtfo. Lol 😂 Zoom, don’t use zoom on low light. Look at the speakers, quality of the screen if the 12. Unless your eye sight is poor and if that’s the case buy a 6s plus battery swap; oled is superior. The colors pop. When I open the Zillow app I’m always awed by the color vibrancy.

But hey if for whatever reason the differences are not noticeable to justify the expense invest the 1200 euros. But stock or put that in your ira. That’s what I would do.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Comment

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
A lot of people just don't like change. If its a small change, it would easier to digest, but a big change or a few of them puts some people off pretty quick. To them I say don't change a thing unless you need to. Or you may be setting yourself up for disappointment, especially if you have to learn how to use your phone again.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
What does this mean 😂
It was a Best Seller book about how to deal with change.
"Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life, published on September 8, 1998, is a motivational business fable. The text describes change in one's work and life, and four typical reactions to those changes by two mice and two "Littlepeople", during their hunt for cheese."

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
May I ask you what is heavy use? I check my emails, check news, browse some sites, take photographs, use photography apps and more every day. My phone is not glued to my hand and I try to keep phone in my pocket as much as possible. Maybe heavy use is constant FB/Insta scrolling?

BTW what is actually the "heavy" use where you take the crap out of your phones performance like the A14 which is performance monster?
I don't even say anything about performance. The 6s has an obvious shortcoming, which is battery life. Since you don't seem to have an issue with that, that's an indication of your typical usage. So instead of being defensive, just return the 12 and save some money, which what I was recommending you to do. I mean what do you expect people to say, to convince you to keep a phone you're not happy with? :D

• Sad
Comment

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2016
How has this thread gone on so long? Disappointed from 6s to 12 pro? The op is either a troll or expects a phone to propel them to the moon and back.

• Haha
Reactions: jonppa and DotCom2
Comment

supergt

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
My girlfriend got the 12 yesterday coming from a 7 plus. She hasn’t used the modern iPhones so I was interested to see her first reactions.

Now she is not a techie so her excitement was basically just the prospect of getting the new phone. Within 5 minutes her first comment was something like please change the battery icon to percentage on the home screen. I told her you can’t do that without swiping down. It goes to show that Apple still misses some basics with user experience. That, and the swipe up function to log in with Face ID (yes I know it’s for notifications but you could easily change this in the OS such that you only have to swipe up when notifications are present). These are little things obviously but they do make an impact on the way we interact with our devices.

My thoughts (I have an xs) are that these are beautiful, powerful phones. The camera and especially night mode is so much better than even my two year old phone. But the rest is relatively the same and I am not compelled to upgrade for another year or two. Wait enough time and everything becomes a more significant and meaningful update.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am genuinely surprised by some of the rather hostile responses to your post and I fully understand how you are disappointed by the performance of the camera. After all Apple set expectations quite high in their presentation.
Being disappointed in the camera is clearly subjective. My son has a 6s+ and we compared shots to my xs max. Less of a difference in bright daylight, much more of a difference in lower light shots. From what I have seen the 12 is a nice upgrade from the xs.
Compared to other flagship phones iPhone 12 pro is still using very small 1/2.55 and 1/3.4 sensors and Apple tries to compensate the small size with computational photography. While it works great for example for HDR in daylight it has some serious shortcomings at night.
What are those serious shortcomings. Do you have legitimate sample that show these serious shortcomings?
As it relies on multiple exposures basically it means that you either need to have a very steady hands or tripod and still subjects. Any movement especially in night mode will make the images blurry.
Isn't that how "night mode" works on every phone that supports this type of photography?
Since you have dslr you might be aware of Lightroom mobile. Its free to use and you can shoot raw with it and adjust the shutter speed to your liking which might help to catch your kids in motion. Naturally you have to increase iso speed at the same time but at least you have full control of the settings.

I basically always shoot with Lightroom unless I need HDR which the standard camera app does quite well. Hopefully coming ProRaw will be added to Lightroom as well.

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
How has this thread gone on so long? Disappointed from 6s to 12 pro? The op is either a troll or expects a phone to propel them to the moon and back.

What would you expect from 1200 euros brand new Apple iPhone?

Reactions: New York
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My girlfriend got the 12 yesterday coming from a 7 plus. She hasn’t used the modern iPhones so I was interested to see her first reactions.

Now she is not a techie so her excitement was basically just the prospect of getting the new phone. Within 5 minutes her first comment was something like please change the battery icon to percentage on the home screen. I told her you can’t do that without swiping down. It goes to show that Apple still misses some basics with user experience. That, and the swipe up function to log in with Face ID (yes I know it’s for notifications but you could easily change this in the OS such that you only have to swipe up when notifications are present). These are little things obviously but they do make an impact on the way we interact with our devices.
Yes, there is a difference, it doesn't mean Apple missed anything. While I get we would like our phones to work the way we want, it's not always possible to have 100% of the way a phone works, working to our 100% specifications. My wife had the same comments going from a 7 to an xr and within 10 minutes those comments disappeared.
My thoughts (I have an xs) are that these are beautiful, powerful phones. The camera and especially night mode is so much better than even my two year old phone. But the rest is relatively the same and I am not compelled to upgrade for another year or two. Wait enough time and everything becomes a more significant and meaningful update.
I have an xs max and am fighting the upgrade urge, although I will probably lose.

Comment

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I have a 6s at home and I’m using an 8 plus (12 getting delivered today). The difference in performance between my 6s and 8 plus is so significant I can’t help but think that you’re trolling a little
Please, tell what the difference un performance between 6s and 8 plus is. Do you mean Safari opens 0,0007 second faster? Photos appear on the screen 1 second faster. 8 Plus boots 1 second faster. Give real meaning to significant gains. Cause if the gains are in the range of 1 second, can you call that honestly significant. Are you such in a hurry? But if you're a gamer, which I'm not, I can understand.

Reactions: Isamilis
Comment

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
You can tell that someone who is still satisfied with a 6s today means that the person's usage of the phone is fairly light. The 6s has the smallest battery ever on an iPhone from the iPhone 6 onwards. Most people on it complained about the battery life. Clearly the OP can be served better by sticking with the 6s or getting the 2020 SE and save some money. None of the 12 features will wow him/her.
You nailed it and that's why I'm sticking to my 6s. And BTW, I'm a semi-professional photographer. I don't shoot, I do photography whatever the subject. Then I use my DSLR. I find a bit strange that all the conversations about iPhone or any other phones for that matter, is revolving around photography. As if an iPhone is not a phone anymore. Then it should be renamed. I wonder if owners still make calls with their 1200$ toy. To me, there are no more iPhone, there are expensive gadgets to take pictures in the dark and call this the summum of photo technology. But I still want to place a call and don't hear hiss and "noise on the line" and cut conversations. Am I such an old bastard? Such a boomer? Such a dinosaur? Maybe after all.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.