Dissapointed like many others. What to get now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ibodybuild, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ibodybuild macrumors newbie

Like many here I have been waiting for the new iMac update. I am quite disappointed with all the hype about this new "thin" design, among other things like specs. I truly believe the new iMac base model should have come with AT LEAST a SSD + AT LEAST 1GB of video ram.

So with this disappoint I'm now looking at:

a) purchasing the old 27" iMac Refurb model which comes out to $1535 (taxes in).
    OR
    b) I can look at building a custom PC.... I've never built a PC before, but I'm sure I could find someone to put all the parts in a tower for me.

Any advice on what to do?

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

a) That's certainly a workable option. The 2012 27" iMac is a pretty decent machine, although not the latest and greatest.

b) Does Windows run the software you need to use? Can you be confident that this person will be available to troubleshoot and repair failing parts, including contacting the individual manufacturers for warranty repairs? As well as troubleshoot driver problems and other software issues? Can you handle being without a machine while repairs are being done?

c) What computer do you have right now? I ask because maybe it's not cost effective to get a new machine if your current one does everything you need it to.

3. smfinlay macrumors member

4. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

My main gripe is the 5400 rpm on the 21.5" and the soldered RAM (though with 8 GB I'd be ok with it), in addition to the increased price in Europe.

Aside from feeling like a fool for waiting out so long and the lack of USB3 on 2011 iMacs, I am considering a refurbished one whenever they appear again on the Italian store. I'd save €400, be able to put in as much as 32 GB ram, and get a 7200 rpm hard drive. No USB3 is a big bummer for me though.

5. konradphoto macrumors newbie

I have EXACTLY same approach and dilemma....

6. Melsir macrumors newbie

Melsir

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that! I'm considering a Mac mini too with that Fusion drive...

7. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Question: would a new 5400 rpm disk feel slower compared to a 6-year-old 7200 rpm disk?
    An alternative would be a Mac Mini + some decent screen. It'd probably still be cheaper, and the hd could be replaced though not "officially". The Intel GPU kind of sucks in comparison, though.

The difference between a 2011 refurb and the 2012 new is a solid €400.
    That's more than half a 16 GB iPhone 5, or more than a new iPad mini.
    Still doesn't make me feel any better about waiting for so long, but at least the "why did I get a refurb?!" is over and I can make a conscientious decision.
    If it weren't for USB 3... that's what it boils down to. I guess I'm lucky that the IT store hasn't had iMac refurbs in weeks.

8. Whackman macrumors member

If only they gave the thunderbolt display the same treatment as the iMac. Less glare, thin, etc.

9. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Looks like I'm going to get the cheapest Mac Mini for my OSx only needs, and build a PC for the more processor intense stuff.

Was hoping that the iMac wouldn't take this route, but as often is said on this forum, Apple seems to be all about the iToys and no longer about the "power users" (i.e. people who do things other than Facebooking). I would not be surprised if Apple let the Mac Pro fade into the night.

10. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

How about pay for the upgrades to get an iMac that you want? All of your complaints are addressed by that. Best mobile GPU available, very fast processors, lots of RAM and disk space.

It just takes money. You didn't really expect Apple to give you a good deal for a lower machine, did you?

11. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Nothing wrong with wanting more OOMPH in a machine that you're going to spend upwards of a couple thousand dollars, IMO. In fact, users should want more than what they did. :)

12. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

If you have a 6 year old platter hard drive I assume you're counting the minutes until it craters on you and really hope you have everything backed up.

And honestly, I really don't know what people expected if they're disappointed by the update. SSDs aren't cheap enough to be standard in machines they aren't charging a premium price for (i.e. Macbook Air).

13. Doggman macrumors member

I too am very disappointed by the 2012 iMac.

I am going to start ordering parts as soon as tonight for my custom rig. Looking at an i5 3570k, GTX 670, and a 24" (1920x1200) IPS ProArt series monitor. All in all I'll be looking at $1,500 for a computer that LITERALLY wipes a fully loaded iMac 2012 off the floor in computing power... Especially after I overclock the CPU. I am looking forward to building it :D

Obviously my suggestion to you would be to build a custom rig but do whatever is best for you. I'd prolly get a 2011 refurb for a good deal over a new 2012 if I had to get an iMac.

14. Nandifix macrumors 6502

To be honest I'm pretty happy with the update.

Also be warned that the mac mini now only comes with intel graphics 4000, no dedicated graphics card.

15. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I'll be another to agree. Doesn't the prior entry 21.5" iMac have a 7200rpm drive? Why would they take a step back on the new entry w/ a 5400rpm drive? Probably to lure people into buying the fusion..

I'm thinking now of getting the prior model that'll have a 7200rpm drive, optical drive and firewire (which I use). And here I was thinking I'd just buy the new one. Still have to toss this around, but it's looking like I won't get the new one..

16. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Well, that's kind of the thing with Apple. The oomph is in the design and not so much performance. I do understand the complaint that a machine that even costs $1300 should be a beast, but that's just Apple. We're stuck with it and we love it (sometimes).

17. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

The top-o-the-line iMac 27" has a BASE price of €2049. Judging by what the upgrades on the old iMac cost, it'll be well over €3000 for what I want it for. For that money, I can build a PC to meet my hardware requirements, get a Dell U2711 AND a Mac Mini.

And if something in the PC breaks, or needs upgrading, I can do that myself instead of having to drag the beast to a Genius Bar and wait two weeks+ (I don't think the new iMac will be easy even for pros to service, looking like the Mac Airs on the inside).

Pity, I was looking forward to using FCX, but now I'll need to stick to a Windows compatible NLE.

18. Imaginethe macrumors regular

The update is ok. A beautiful machine, I would like to see it from the side. I am slightly surprised I7 not standard in the 27 inch. Although being able to upgrade the Ram is important. I think USB 3 is what will win it for me.

The lack of optical a few months ago would have bothered me, but I will instead get an external Blu-Ray for the same price as the super drive, when I need one.

The hybrid is interesting, and would like see what the upgrade price will be.

An ok update that I will buy as I need a new computer. Although starting at the same price as a macbook pro is annoying.

19. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Yeah, I'm not saying I'll go offing myself because of these new iMacs since mine is...5/6 years old and does just fine. But there are so many 'WTF' things which they did that doesn't make sense, even for Apple. Far as oomph, even the design didn't deliver that. =P

Personally I'm just waiting to see benchmarks and such now. Been patient for this long, I'm sure I'll survive...even if my computer doesn't. ;)

20. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Yes, the 2011 did have a 7200 rpm disk across the line (though I think that on the base 21.5" model it was 750 GB, not 1 TB.) They took a step back due to the extra thinness: a 3.5" disk is big and thick, and they couldn't use one. The fact that they give you a 7200 rpm 2.5" disk on the 27" is simply due to the fact that the base model is just that at this point: even the Mac Mini is like that, you can't get anything extra in it other than some more RAM. If you want the "Fusion disk" you need to get the upper model. It's marketing.

Yes, by paying more we get what we want. But we are already paying more for the low-end model (€221 more here, to be exact), and while we do get a better GPU, a better screen, more RAM, USB 3.0 and so on, we also get a slower disk. Considering that they made such a big deal out of "SSDs are faster than HDDs!" just two hours ago, offering an **even slower** spinning platter alternative than the previous generation is questionable.

----------

Yep, ready for the HDD to crash hard any time soon. Backing up regularly. :)
    I didn't expect standard SSDs across the line, but I didn't expect going from 7200 rpm back to 5400 rpm disks. Ok, I'm lying: I feared exactly this when the leaked image came out and I was in denial until two hours ago. Now I'm confused.

21. antithema macrumors member

Well I am not happy at all. Going for the mid quad Mac mini and a Samsung monitor probably.

22. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

The soldered RAM sucks big time, 5400RPM drives as well but I think they'll be speedier thanks to the SSD part in them.
    But my biggest problem is the increase in price. In Europe they've gotten really expensive now, I mean iMacs weren't never cheap but at least the base model was VERY affordable. Now all the iMacs are 30% more expensive, 27 base inch became unreachable to me.
    I also do not understand why they increased price on Mac mini's cause they're basically the same, though I'm very happy with quad-core i7 on mid mini... but why no dedicated GPU?
    Also, they should have made them available right away, this is stupid. I guess the good thing is that they eventually updated them.

23. faneos macrumors member

faneos

Take my balls

24. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

There's no SSD part in them. Look at the Mac Mini: you get the 1 TB HDD standard, and then you can either:
    a) replace it with a 256 GB SSD, +€300 here
    b) add a non-specified SSD (presumably 64 or 128 GB) and have OS X join them logically into a virtual "fusion" disk, +€250

For the Mac Mini this is only possible for the higher-end model; for the iMac it seems that only the 27" can do this, possibly due to space constraints inside the case.

25. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Buy a refurb Mac Pro for 1800