Dissapointing Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boonlar, Apr 13, 2010.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

I was looking for a powerful 17" for rendering and some gaming. I would have liked a mbp but it's too far behind and too little value for the money. I've pretty much decided to go with this asus. Maybe with the extra money I'll get an ipad :rolleyes:. Why don't they lower the price of the mbp to be more competitive?

[​IMG]

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Ok.. Enjoy your Asus, looks like a good machine.

The end?

3. maximus06 macrumors regular

If unibody design (and hence, reliability), unmatched battery life and OSX mean nothing to you, then by all means, go with the ASUS and watch that piece of plastic die within 12-24 months.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Looks to me like you get free shipping with Apple ...

5. pyroza macrumors regular

Personally, I don't want to carry around a 10 pound brick with a battery that will only last about an hour.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

7. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

You know asus is ranked as #1 for reliability? It also has a 2 year warranty and 1 year accidental which is amazing for the price. MBP would have been good but its just too weak for 2010.

8. chkenwing macrumors regular

For me, I think you would buy a MBP for the durability.

Ok sometimes Apple do slip with the quality control, but windows-based laptops I've had in the past all seem to die within 24 months.

Heck I had a laptop kill itself just after 12 months of use. My netbook isn't fairing so well either.

Plus, most laptops are pieced together like lego bricks, whereas a MBP is pretty much like one solid piece of aluminium. Granted, it costs more if you were to damage it and wanted it replaced.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Less resolution, less battery life, more weight, more heat, no Firewire 800, ...

PS: Most people are not spec whores like you seem to be, that's why there is no quad core MBP yet with 2 hours of battery life and 3.85 kilogram case.

10. maximus06 macrumors regular

#1 for reliability? I'd like to see that.

A two year warranty doesn't mean there won't be issues with it -which I can guarantee you there will be-, it just means they'll fix/replace it as needed.

The specs are excellent for the price, no doubt, but they don't tell the whole story. Any laptop that doesn't have unibody construction (which brings in the weight factor, thinness, sturdiness and looks) is a fail in my opinion.

Edit: lets not even mention resolution or FireWire. That thing is a toy, and an expensive one at that.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why don't you just get a ridiculously powerful desktop instead? Clearly you don't care about battery life or anything....

12. ZTuned macrumors member

Different strokes for different folks...

Personally, I'll take the 17'' i7 MBP over that 8.5 lb brick with an hour or two of battery life. Will be replacing my 2007 15'' 2.4ghz pre-unibody with the 17'' i7 hotness this weekend :)

13. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

So you care more about the looks of the computer than the components? I need the performance to render animations and to do video editing. The mbp doesn't have 4 cores so it's going to be too slow and costs way more. I was hoping it would have the i7 quadcore but I guess apple is always behind.

14. joina macrumors member

ppl buy mbp dont care specs...so apple would like to put cheap craps in at high price and still sale very well so there is no point for apple to buy more expensive good parts
    AND...Asus do have respect at quality

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, if you need power, and battery life plays little to no significance, why don't you get a desktop with some real power behind it?:confused:

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

According to recent reports ASUS laptops are more reliable than the ones from Apple. Read this article: ASUS Beats Apple in Reliability Rankings (Yet Again)

17. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

It has 1920x1080 resolution, mbp has 1920x1200 barely any difference, both LED backlit. Less battery life but why would anyone use it for rendering or gaming on battery? I take it to work/home/other places and I need a mobile workstation. Firewire 800, yea I guess so but there are not many firewire products anyways.

Also, apple couldn't even throw in a 7200RPM drive for that price?

18. lilo777 macrumors 603

Could you expand on anything? Is not it the only spec where Apple wins?

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

20. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'm sad to say,but I went to a custom computer shop today and really got interested in a Lenovo Thinkpad SL512 ,2.53Ghz C2D,4GB ram,320GB 7200rpm HD,and only $850. :(
    I think I may get it as well as a MBP by selling my MB and getting a job to get both by this fall.

or the 2.13Ghz i3 lenovo with 4GB DDr3 ram for $900 i'm drooling over......

21. maximus06 macrumors regular

I don't appreciate you intentionally misquoting what I said. I specifically mentioned "looks" as one of at least 4 other factors: weight factor, thinness, sturdiness and looks.

So, yes - I don't enjoy (read: would be embarrassed) walking around with a 2" thick piece of black plastic weighing almost 10lbs. Its a toy, for god's sakes - not a professional machine. Also, calling the 2.66 i7 "slow" is beyond absurd, but I won't even get into that.

If internal hardware specs alone matter to you, and nothing else, get the ASUS. If you want a sleek medium-level machine that you can rely on for years to come, then opt for the MBP.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's already stated that he doesn't care about unibody design, multi-touch, magsafe, OSX, etc. There really isn't a reason to elaborate, I agree that the Asus will suit him better for his needs.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

What about resale value? IN 2years your MBP will still be worth a ton of money and easy to offload.

Can't say the same for this Asus.

HOw about software? Doubt the Asus comes with the same quality software a Mac comes with out of the box. iPhoto? iMovie? Time Machine? ....

How about lack of spyware and viruses on the Mac? How much is that worth?

How many hours do you have to spend uninstalling bloatware on the Asus?

IS the display of the same quality? There's a difference in laptop displays although no one showing cheaper Windows laptops ever does that comparison.

Weight? Battery life? IF they don't mean anything to you then I guess the Macs loses a few of its strengths there.

How about the nice looking heavy duty aluminum uni-body case?

Anyway this is a stupid discussion. Windows always wins on lowest cost per Mhz. NOthing new. Has been that way since the 1st Mac came out. And been that way since I switched ~4 years ago.

24. iSax1234 macrumors regular

Firewire 800, yea I guess so but there are not many firewire products anyways.

HAHA!!!! Lets seen video editing = tons of large files = external hard drive = FIREWIRE!!!!!

I hope you are happy with Windows 7 because I wouldn't be. I hope you are happy with annoying virus protection software constantly scanning your files. Hope you enjoy your PC! I'll be purchasing my base 15in with High Res Screen

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Then by all means get yourself the ASUS. What do you want the Mac community to do? There is nothing we can say or do to stop you from buying the above mentioned computer.

No need to justify your purchase to us... I think it is safe to say, a good majority, don't care what you get.

Go purchase and be happy.