Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I echo what others have said about eating, make up, et al...

People need to be held accountable for the wreck, not whatever "thing" they happened to be doing at the moment.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I don't care as long as they don't make me take off my watch while driving. That would be ridiculous.

As others have said the distracted driving laws need to be more generic. I know far more people who have crashed because they were messing with music controls on the console, or because some idiot putting on makeup on their way to work ran into them. On the highway I've see people trying to steer while holding breakfast burritos and all kinds of weird stuff in the morning. All distracted driving is bad. The problem is most of the people who write these laws only want to target technology because they're old and don't understand and don't want to get busted for the things THEY do in the car which is distracting. Oh and that reminds me…GPS. Need I say more? People should literally be licensed to operate one of those things. They should take a course and take a test and get it added as a class on their license. So many people drive like maniacs because they don't understand how they work and that they can be really wrong. That's far more distracting than a watch!

Don't make me laugh. No one needs a license to operate a GPS device. I have a Garmin and it's been solid for years compared to a phone GPS. One thing I like about old school GPS receivers is that they never disconnect especially in the mountains compared to a phone that relies on the internet.

Secondly, a Garmin is easy to work with and easier on the eyes with the matte screen reducing sunlight glare compared to the glossy iPhone or any other smartphone.

So you're only defending something that's based on vanity from Apple's side. It has nothing to do with the old age on politicians. In fact, some are quite young and do get into traffic problems. . .like you. What you're doing is considered ageism.

Anytime Apple tries to create a product, they open a Pandora's Box that becomes a problem. Apple should have been smart enough to SEE that coming a mile away when Cook wanted the watch to " change lives " and reduce distractions.

Ooops! It hasn't done anything but cause more distractions with 3,000 some apps SLAPPED ON.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Exactly. In fact, the person next to you helps your driving since he will react if something is wrong.

What has been shown by research is that having a conversation over the phone exhausts our ability to process information. For instance, our eyes move a lot less and the result is a kind of tunnel vision. Likewise, our ability to process unusual information quickly plummets - for instance, it will take very long to identify something on the road that doesn't look as what you expect on the road (an animal, someone in a wheelchair). As a result, the driver can be surprised, doesn't see things in the periphery and reacts slowly.
This is the real danger. An headset or anything doesn't help that at all.

In my personal experience, listening to spoken words that are not directed at you and don't require an answer by you, be it on the radio, a podcast or an audiobook fares somewhat better as I am more easily are able to tune out (I might write a post here while listening to a podcast but this essentially means I don't really listen anymore to the podcast).

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
It should be noted that in Ontario, there is an exception to the ban on using hand-held devices:

Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

In a recent case, a driver who was convicted under this offence, argued on appeal that because the phone was between her right ear and shoulder, she was not "holding" the phone and therefore not guilty of the offence.

The court determined that "holding" is not restricted to one using her hands and that she was holding the phone using her shoulder and ear.

The court also didn't accept her argument that this was "hands-free" mode (i.e. since she wasn't using her hands) and insisted that the legislature intended the "hands-free" exception to mean the hands-free phone functions provided by the automakers and car companies, rather than using ones phone without hands.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I know far more people who have crashed because they were messing with music controls on the console...
I had a friend in high school who used to drift right when he turned the volume up a left when he turned it down. One of those rub your belly, pat your head kind of problems I think...

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
How about we get rid of all the billboards advertisers want us to read while driving? Frankly, I'm more distracted by passengers talking to me than anything else. And my sister's constant side-seat driving pisses me off, which doesn't help my concentration either. :mad:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Soon there will be a bill that will ban all electronic use while driving. But we still can eat, drink (a beverage) and put on make up while driving.

Actually, soon there will be a ban on humans driving. We suck at it, many thousands of people die every year because of it. Let the humans go the way of the horse and get them off the public roads and onto the private race tracks where they belong.

The self driving cars will be here soon and they will be awesome.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Passing legislation for smartwatches would be kind of complicated. It wouldn't be that easy to tell if someone is using a regular watch or a smartwatch, and what if someone is just checking the time on their watch (of course they could look at the dashboard, but you know...habits). Compared to using a phone, it's not as easy to catch someone redhanded.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I actually think the touchscreen controls of modern cars are about the biggest setback in automotive safety in years.

When I bought a new car a couple years ago, I specifically sought out a model that had physical dials, knobs and buttons for controlling things like heating/cooling, music, etc. In short order I could reach down and make adjustments to these things without ever taking my eyes off the road. The car is a Volvo by the way. I was disappointed to see how many functions on new and upcoming Volvos are relegated to big iPad-like displays. This from a carmaker that at least at one time was known as the paragon of safety. You simply cannot use these screens without taking your eyes off your driving. Trendy, but really stupid.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I don't care as long as they don't make me take off my watch while driving. That would be ridiculous.

I think everyone here is over-reacting. The "worst case scenario" is not even all that bad… which is the Government will simply enact laws that force Apple and other companies to update their smart watches with something like a "Driving Mode", the closest analogy is a smartphone AirPlane Mode which disables electronic signals such as cellular services, etc.

In the case of watches, the Driving Mode might disable some of the more distracting alerts and such. But then that would be a huge debate right there. Who decides which alerts are "non-essential" (and could be silenced until a later time) and which ones are more important?

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I actually think the touchscreen controls of modern cars are about the biggest setback in automotive safety in years.

When I bought a new car a couple years ago, I specifically sought out a model that had physical dials, knobs and buttons for controlling things like heating/cooling, music, etc. In short order I could reach down and make adjustments to these things without ever taking my eyes off the road. The car is a Volvo by the way. I was disappointed to see how many functions on new and upcoming Volvos are relegated to big iPad-like displays. This from a carmaker that at least at one time was known as the paragon of safety. You simply cannot use these screens without taking your eyes off your driving. Trendy, but really stupid.

I agree.

I don't want to drive an iPad. My daily driver for decades has been a Cadillac. So disappointed in the Que system. Don't know what the next car will be. I do know knobs and physical controls will made a sale.

I don't want to hunt down the necessaries by moving from screen to screen. Who will watch the road?

And now i can look forward to getting hit by some fool who is playing with his watch. Oh, goody! A new type of distracted driver. The others were getting so repetitious.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Distracted driving

Isn't distracted driving illegal in most states anyway?

Doing anything behind the wheel not driving related probably should be.

----------

I LOVE new tech, but I'm in complete agreement with you here. Can't stand taking my eyes off the road to constantly re-adjust stuff (I'll always hit a wrong button somewhere).

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Stick your device in 'Car Mode" where Siri can tell you that you have an incoming call, do you wish to answer, Yes or No?

Incoming text can work the same way. Read text message, Yes or No?
Do you wish to reply? Yes or No?

Also the Apple watch is just a relay unit for your iPhone. Use the iPhone in the car as you normally would in handsfree mode.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Come on, people! This isn't a new problem. Smart watches have been available for quite a few years now and Apple is only the latest version (and not necessarily the best). Driver distraction is driver distraction, regardless of the origin of the distraction. We don't need a specific law about every possible distraction. What about people who drive with a baby in a carrier in the back seat? Do we have a specific law about that distraction? What about male drivers with their wife or girlfriend wearing a short skirt in the passenger seat? Do we have a law about *that* distraction?

Well said. I think there is a systemic problem in this country where lawmakers feel the need to try and account for every possible outcome, rather than create a simple law and allow the enforcement and judicial branches to honor the spirit of that law.

It robs the people of the right to grow and in a sense govern themselves and it stinks of the hubris of those who think they can account for every unintended consequence of every law. It takes common sense out of the equation entirely.

By the way, this is exactly why bath salts exist. They could create a simple law to outlaw methamphetamine and its chemical analogs, but instead we have to play catch up every time they slightly change the chemical. We don't need lawmakers for this - let a judge and jury decide if someone is gaming the drug laws.

Both parties' addiction to top-down government is destroying this nation. /rant

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
That might fall like headsets under the category of allowed activities (as it does not require you take your eyes of the road or the hands of the wheel.

So, you're saying,

"Yeah, keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Yeah, we're goin' to the Roadhouse
We're gonna have a real
good time?" :apple:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Soon there will be a bill that will ban all electronic use while driving. But we still can eat, drink (a beverage) and put on make up while driving.

Of course we can still eat and drink in our cars. If they tried banning that, McDonald's and all the fast food places would go crazy with lobbyists and lawyers. The drive thru industry is so profitable that it would never be banned

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I don't know about distracted driving but I was at the urinal doing my thing when a notification came in on my Apple Watch. I automatically lifted my arm to check, dropping the bottom of my shirt into the pee stream. I had pee on my shirt :/ Thankfully the work day was over in 10 mins.

Moral of the story: The Apple Watch can lead to distracted urinating and pee soaked clothes.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
There has to be reasonable allowances. There are many things you do while driving that are distracting, and they're perfectly legal. No one needs to listen to the radio, but its use in automobiles is utterly uncontroversial.

Look around your car. There are tons of built-in things that have nothing to do with driving and lead to distractions. Cupholders! No one needs to drink while driving. You can take care of that before hand or stop somewhere if you're really thirsty.

And to some those distractions are no different than sending a text or looking at your phone in application. To others those are just as distracting as texting or looking at your phone.

Here is a novel idea, cite people for distracted driving when they are distracted, period. If you are yelling at your kids or looking at your phone. If you are driving fine while yelling at your kids or texting on the phone then there is no reason to cite people.

You either want the nanny state or don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.