Disturbing ad... (Warning: Trypophobic image)

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I think it's disturbing to some because it vaguely resembles some sort of parasitic worm infestation viewers may have seen elsewhere on the 'Net. Other than that, it's one of those ubiquitous "One Weird Old Trick" ads.

Reactions: Beachguy

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You learn something new every day.
"The term was coined in 2005 ... It is not recognized in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) or other scientific literature.[cal Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) or other scientific literature."

You (like most people) have never heard of it because it's a 'condition' that was recently 'discovered'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

jerwin

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2015
It's a standard part of internet chum.

A Complete Taxonomy of Internet Chum

though, perhaps I should warn you that that article features plenty of examples.

Bottom Left: Deeply Psychological Body Thing: While on the surface this may scan as a Skin Thing, the regular pattern of indentations made in this woman’s legs by what appear to be frozen peas or stones are in fact designed to trigger feelings of mild discomfort/anxiety amongst sufferers of Trypophobia, a common sensitivity to regularly occurring patterns of holes in surfaces—a discomfort that perversely elicits curiosity, playing on our fixation with the frailties of our bodies and our ultimate fear of death.

jerwin

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2015
Man all these years I thought that picture was marbles or stones pressed against the skin.
Why not continue to think that? Trypophobia is merely an internet meme, and in this case, it's being used to sell things you don't need.

Reactions: Meister
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.