Ditched Your 15" Glossy And Bought The 15" Matte?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shambo, Aug 21, 2009.

?

Have you sold ditched the 15" glossy and bought a 15" matte?

1. Yes, already replaced the nightmare glossy;

35 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Not yet, but I plan to in the near future;

17 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. No, can't afford to but would if I had the money;

33 vote(s)
    14.4%
  4. No, but I bought an anti-glare film for the glossy screen;

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. No never, I am a happy glossy.

136 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Have you sold or are you considering ditching your 15" glossy to purchase a 15" matte since the option is now available?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Where is the: "I built a hackintosh for half the price and the same performance with a matte screen" option? It is what I did.

Another option should be: "I bought a old model pre-unibody before the matte option was available" - That is what I was thinking about doing

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I actually plan on buying a glossy screen 15" this weekend. Turns out, you cannot get the 15" in stores with the matte screen and I'm driving to NH to avoid paying 6.25% sales tax. So if I order it online - it costs me $50 plus the sales tax - closer to $200.....

Would definitely prefer the matte, as I have now on my 15" PowerBook.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't know there was a matte option for the 15" MBP now, and I'm certain that I'm not the only one. I guess this thread wasn't so worthless. ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

5. kolax macrumors G3

In the next few weeks, I am going to work out my finances and see if I can fund it.

It all depends on how much my MBP sells for on eBay.. I'd be hoping for at least £1100 for a 4 month old machine with 3 year AppleCare.

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Sell me the 15" you don't want ;) I would prefer a matte but I'd rather save some money too.

7. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Getting the matte display is a nice way to DOWNGRADE your screen quality. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Way to go....

8. sclough macrumors regular

Already sold my glossy and waiting for the matte one to arrive....

I declare half the conversations on the forum are glossy vs. matte :)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd buy one today if I could. However, my new job will allow me to buy a laptop and pay no income tax on the money I spend on this computer. I'll essentially save around 30% on this computer.

If I'm going to be waiting anyway, I may as well wait until January/February, or whenever an update happens. That way I can make the most out of my situation. :)

10. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Had no idea it was available on the 15 inch. I appreciate the info, as a buying decision is at hand for me right now.

11. planethitsradio macrumors member

I just switched out my MBP glossy for the matte today. It's nice to have a machine I dont get headaches on anymore and see my mug in every light angle.

I didnt get the same exact configurations, and ended up paying $560 for the matte screen, but it was worth every cent IMO.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just got a 15 uMBP 3 days ago with the matte option. It didn't replace a glossy because I was never going to buy one. I was holding out for matte.

13. bjorn989 macrumors member

I love the glossy screen!

Loving the glossy look of the UMBPS! I dont use them for colour critical work so the way they display colours really appeals to me.

I understand why some people don't like the gloss, however I dont find it distracting at all...

When I finally get enough money together I will buy the 13". My girlfriend has one of these and I think they are one of the best laptops I have ever seen.

I know this post is slightly off topic, but I dont think the glossy displays get as much love as they deserve...

14. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Is it a true "matte" option or is it just an anti-glare coating? There is a big difference. Did anyone have an old matte MBP and a new unibody "anti-glare" to compare it to?

15. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have the glossy, but there are times I wish it were matte. I was sitting outside the other day and had to shift around a lot to avoid the reflections.

One thing I really like about the glossy screen is that it's super easy to clean due to being glass. I wonder if the matte screen is the same? My old G4 laptop matte screen was soft to the touch and hard to keep clean. If you didn't stay on top of the spots you ran the risk of permanently staining the screen. I don't think that will happen with the glass on the glossy. Gotta watch out for those sneezes though... they really mess up the display!

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have an older 17" anti-glare MBP and the new uMBP 15. The screens are the same matte finish. The 15" antiglare is a true matte screen. It does not have a glass surface, and even has the aluminum surround, rather than the black one of the glass screens.

17. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

big shocker at the result....the better screen.

18. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

As off today (55/(70+55))x100=44% of people have been somewhat unhappy over the glossy screens. :mad:

That is a damning indictment against Apple.

19. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Or it could simply be a reflection of the human condition that activists not satisfied with the status quo (the anti-glare camp) are more likely to participate in such a poll rather than a true representation. :rolleyes:

20. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

You can't possibly think you can come to any conclusion on an internet poll... Let alone make any business decisions based on that.. Cmon now

21. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

In that case I read the latest results as having 57.58% of the population in favour of Glossy. This 3.8 Billion potential customers, therefore great business sense.

Or they could offer both with a slight premium for the less popular model... oh, wait.

22. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

Don't be stupid. 3.8 billion people do not have access to the finance to purchase.

I therefore repeat that this is a damning indictment against Apple.

23. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Tetchy...

Of course it was a ridiculous statement I was reciprocating in kind, which you have continued to do.

24. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Hang on....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shambo
    Whilst upon ordering having my initial doubts about reflections and lighting I now firmly believe that Glossy > Matte. There is absolutely NO comparison.

End of

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=742031

25. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

Yes that was my BELIEF before I went in-store and saw the new matte 15" side-by-side with the glassy. No one allowed to change an opinion, eh? :rolleyes: