DIY: WLAN Antenna (need help)

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hello,

I live in a dorm near campus. However internet in my dorm is really bad and is not working for a month. The WLAN on the campus however is godlike. So, I'd like to do something about it, namely:

I'd like to know if it is possible to make (or buy) some cheap WLAN "antenna-reciever" that would "catch" the WLAN signal from the campus (about 60 meters away) and bring it into my room (preferably via ethernet).

I googled, but in vain, I found little help :(

Anyone with an advice, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Milan

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hello,

I live in a dorm near campus. However internet in my dorm is really bad and is not working for a month. The WLAN on the campus however is godlike. So, I'd like to do something about it, namely:

I'd like to know if it is possible to make (or buy) some cheap WLAN "antenna-reciever" that would "catch" the WLAN signal from the campus (about 60 meters away) and bring it into my room (preferably via ethernet).

I googled, but in vain, I found little help :(

Anyone with an advice, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Milan
Obviously you need an antenna, an amplifier, a really good frequency filter and finally the signal to ethernet box.

Comment

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Obviously you need an antenna, an amplifier, a really good frequency filter and finally the signal to ethernet box.
OK, thats a start... Any idea on how to build my own little version of the above stated (I have AirPort Extreme for a router)?

Comment

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
OK, thats a start... Any idea on how to build my own little version of the above stated (I have AirPort Extreme for a router)?
Antenna, any old plain antenna will do. You need an ocsilloscope also and a multimeter to check wavelengths and power output of the antenna.

As per the filter, you have DIY one or buy one. Airport Extreme will not help unless that's where the Ethernet will end up (WAN port)

Comment

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Antenna, any old plain antenna will do. You need an ocsilloscope also and a multimeter to check wavelengths and power output of the antenna.

As per the filter, you have DIY one or buy one. Airport Extreme will not help unless that's where the Ethernet will end up (WAN port)
Is there a guide somewhere how this stuff looks like (or how to make my own)?
Thanks for the reply btw :)

Comment