Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DJI today announced the launch of the Mavic 3, a followup to the company's Mavic 2 drone. DJI says that the Mavic 3 represents the "most comprehensive improvement" to the Mavic lineup in three years, with performance boosts for every function.

dji-mavic-3-design.jpg

A foldable drone like its predecessor, the Mavic 3 features a dual-camera system with a 28x hybrid zoom lens and a 24mm Hasselblad lens with a 4/3 sensor. The Hasselblad lens can capture 20-megapixel still images and 5.1K video at 50 frames per second, or 4K video at 120 frames per second for slow motion footage.

The improved image sensor offers higher video resolution and cuts down on noise in low-light environments, and it has an adjustable aperture of f/2.8 to f/11. The secondary camera has a 162mm telephoto lens with an f/4.4 aperture for zoomed in shots. The Mavic 3 Cine, a version of the Mavic 3 with Apple ProRes 422 HQ encoding, is designed to meet post-production needs and it comes equipped with a 1TB SSD.

dji-mavic-3-flight.jpg

There are omnidirectional obstacle sensors with a 200-meter range available on the Mavic 3 that include six fish-eye sensors and two wide-angle sensors to avoid objects even in complicated environments.

There's an upgraded ActiveTrack 5.0 feature for improved tracking, and the Mavic 3 uses a positioning algorithm that incorporates signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. An integrated AirSense system warns drone pilots about nearby planes and helicopters, and there are geofencing alerts when near sensitive locations.

dji-mavic-3-cameras.jpg

Redesigned batteries offer up to 46 minutes of flight time in ideal conditions before a recharge is required thanks to more efficient motors and propellers. The Mavic 3 also produces 35 percent less drag than prior models for faster top speeds. Other new features include a more advanced Return to Home system and an upgraded transmission system for clearer video transmission even in challenging conditions.

dji-mavic-3-bottom.jpg

There are several new accessories coming out alongside the Mavic 3, including a new smart controller with an extended transmission distance, a 65W portable fast charger, a Convertible Carrying Bag, a Wide-Angle lens with a 108 degree field of view, and more.

DJI selling the Mavic 3 on its website starting today. The standard version is priced at $2,199, while a Fly More Combo with extra accessories and batteries is priced at $2,999. The Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo with 1TB SSD and Apple ProRes 422 HQ video recording is priced at $4,999.

Article Link: DJI Launches New Mavic 3 Drone With Longer Flight Time, Improved Cameras and New Safety Features

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Looks great!

Does anyone have an opinion on renting vs. buying?

Do I need to buy it to get the appropriate flight and camera operations experience needed, or can I cram in that experience in just an additional rental day?

timerickson

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2019
ProRes 422 HQ implies a bitrate of nearly 2000Mbps when recording 5.1K 50p! That's nearly 10x the base model's H265 recording bitrate of 200Mbps

Reactions: SFjohn

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Cool thing about laws are that they only exist if you get caught. :)
No, the laws still exist, you just don’t experience the consequences. :) And, BECAUSE the law exists, it means someone destroying your property by shooting it down might be covered by that law. It’s risk vs. reward, though.

rmanbike

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Do you have a source for that? Or should I just "DuckDuckGo" the subject?
It is illegal to launch or recover a UAS from either private or state property without the consent of the property's owner (N.C. G.S. 15A-300.2). ... It is illegal to fly a UAS over any prison, state or federal (N.C. G.S.Jul 21, 2020

Reactions: Exponent

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I had a Mavic Pro for a few years and had a lot of fun with it. It took some amazing 4k video and it proved useful in documenting many projects, but I just couldn't justify owning it when I used it a few times a month. The Mavic 3 seems to be a huge improvement and it's exciting to see where drones will go in the next 10 years with battery and motor technologies improving.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Unfortunately, any place you’d actually want to fly a drone is illegal in the USA.
You can fly on BLM land, and many ranchers will give you permission to fly on theirs if you respect their privacy. I own quite a bit of property and if someone asked me I would let them as long as they didn't abuse it. The drone laws in the US are incredibly lax considering it's a small aircraft and the operator has nearly zero training.

Truth is, if you go out of the city and be discrete, you'll never have a problem. If someone asks you to leave, be cool and leave.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I want it. But I can’t justify spending that much on a prosumer drone. I can’t imagine the shots are much better than my $400 DJI Mini 2, which I feel like is only missing 4K60 but can do 4K30. Variable aperture is nice though because you don’t need ND filters all the time.

MrTangent

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
It seems you are unaware that the drone will literally not allow you to take-off in any zone where authorization is required or on no-fly zones
Flashing firmware is probably able to be done. I don’t own one, but any sort of technological restrictions can be defeated if the adversary (owner) has direct access to the item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.