Do any iPhone 4 users prefer the 3GS ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazed, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

My wife saw the 4 today for the first time in a store and said she didnt like the screen. It looked too narrow to her and she preferred the chunkier looking one on the 3GS.

Is it just the resolution change that makes it look slimmer or is the screen actually smaller ?

I have to admit i prefer the look of my 3GS also, but am sure once i get hold of the 4 for an extended period i wouldn't want to go back :)

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

The iPhone 4 clearly has many advantages but as for size and feel I would go back to my 3GS any second.

3. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Other than the back being glass and the whole antena thing, I really digg the design of the new iPhone, to me it is finally the perfect size for a smartphone (the 3G I had was a little chunky). As for the screen, it may be a hair smaller, though that could just be an optical illusion because the actuall phone more narrow.

5. zride96 macrumors newbie

My overall experience with the 3Gs was more positive than it's been with the iPhone 4. The rounded back makes it easier to hold.

Once you feast your eyes on the Retina display the 3Gs's screen looks horrible and I thought I loved the 3Gs's screen before.

Battery life is much improved on iPhone 4, camera is significantly better too. The LED light is pretty cool, you can actually use the camera in low light.

I think the iPhone 4's positives outweigh the negatives, especially if you don't make alot of phone calls. Use it more for a personal media device with anywhere internet and it's great. Hold it wrong while making a phone call and you may be frustrated.

6. ikir macrumors 6502a

No way, my girl is using my "old" 3GS which is impressive smarthphone even today, but iPhone 4 is far superior in each area, battery, power, display, camera, gps, reception... iPhone 4 is really fantastic imho.

7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Haha sounds like a good wife. She talked you out of a $300+ purchase!

8. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I should probably add that I did order the iPhone 4 to replace my throphy wifeys 3GS... even tho she loves her 3GS I simply can't stand seeing her use anything but the latest :D

Christ I'm a sucker

9. Lingham macrumors regular

Me!

If the 4 had a curved back I would be more satisfied with the phone I think. I do love the phone don’t get me wrong but prefer the feel of the 3GS

10. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Well I had proximity Sensor issues with my iPhone 4 so I much prefer the 3GS. The shape of the 3GS is also more practical imo, however, the 4 looks tons better. The 4 is a much improved device, and providing you dont have the issues ive had, its easily better.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I don't see many advantages the 3GS has over the 4. Perhaps only the comfort of holding it with the curved back and maybe some people who miss that chromed bezel around it. I remember those Gizmodo leaked photos of the 4 had some people hating the design. Then when it is in your hands that first time, it feels and weighs like an expensive piece of technology. In many other areas, the 4 does win out vs its predecessors. Laying the 4 on a table doesn't wobble anymore and it is easier to replace the back/battery by yourself. Installing Zagg on is easier too now that the chrome bezel is gone and everything is flat.

It like the original vs 4. There might be a couple things where people prefer the OG like design and durability. Perhaps some sentimental value too being the first. But when reality sinks in after awhile, the 4 is superior in alot of ways that it is hard to go back to the OG just for a couple areas where it is better. One or two areas won't convince me to ever go back to the older devices. The LED flash as a flashlight has been so useful for me as of late. There is pros and cons to everything. Some compromises. Like PS3 original vs slim. I prefer the sleek look of the former but the newer ones is cheaper and has more GB. It is up to people to scale it correctly on what they value more and see if it is enough to tilt into one direction.

12. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

absolutely not

even though the 3gs still a great phone, compared to the 4 it looks like an outdated piece of tech to me

13. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Let's put it this way: If there was an iPhone that retained all of the internal components as well as features like the screen and camera of the iPhone 4 in a case like 3G/3GS, I'd be all over it.

Not saying I don't like the iPhone 4... it's just a bit awkward to hold at times. I never felt that way with my 3G.

14. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I find with the 3G it felt like it would slip out of my hands at any given moment.

With the 4 it feels like I'm somehow going to voluntarily drop it.. bumper helps though

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed.

I only prefer the 3GS' Wi-Fi reception. The iPhone 4's Wi-Fi reception, is as poor as the iPad's.
    I'm wondering - is it an A4 chip issue, with regard as to why both the iPad and iPhone 4 suffer in this way? :mad:

16. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I love the feel of the iPhone 4, the stainless steel and glass is really nice. But it is really slippery. I have the white bumper on and that adds grip to the phone.

17. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

I bought my 3Gs iPhone the day before the iPhone 4 came out. I knew the 4 was coming, but much prefer the form factor of the 3Gs.

I confirmed this after playing with the iPhone 4 in the Apple Store once it was released. I will update to the next big thing once my contract runs. :rolleyes: (maybe on Verizon...):)

18. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

It's incredible how much better the 4's screen is.

19. Ethere macrumors member

Give me the retina display and 5mp camera from the iPhone 4 on the 3GS and I would have been a happy camper. I think I've used Facetime once. And that was just to see it work. I miss my 3Gs :(

20. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i nearly dropped my 4 twice on day one and had to get a case, its too slippery and i thought the 3G was bad... wouldnt change it for the world though. not even for a piece of meat from GAGA's head

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I definitely prefer the feel of my iPhone 3GS over my iPhone 4. However, the retina display just blows me away. So I would say I still prefer my iPhone 4 over my (now sold) 3GS.

22. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

The 3GS was definitely easier to grip, but overall I think I prefer the 4. The retina display alone is worth it in my opinion.

23. Guru101011 macrumors member

Guru101011

my hats off to the iphone 4's battery life!! my 3gs was completely nothing in battery!!!

the longest iv got with my iphone 4 is....2 days standby and 8 hour usage time!

:O!

i used to use my iphone 3gs for a couple hours and thats it! drained battery!

24. Jelite macrumors 6502a

You can always buy a big ugly case to go on the 4.

25. McBeats macrumors 6502a

no...

****in...

way...

iphone4 for life! (well... for for the next year, then iphone5)