Do any mac browsers scroll by dragging on a page?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dogbone, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Even after 7 years I still miss IE 5 for mac's ability to scroll around a window by Cmd+Drag.

It's so obvious that I can't understand why Safari and FF don't do it. I also find it ironic that this style of dragging in a browser window is such a mac thing yet it appears to be only implemented by Microsofts mac version IE.

I was wondering if any of the other peripheral browsers have this ability?

2. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I'm sure i managed this in Firefox by pressing the middle mouse button.

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

What a tease, my mouse only has a button but I use a pen anyway. But surely there must be a keyboard short cut that is equivalent.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Learn something new every day. This is a feature of Internet Explorer that I never knews existed. It is just as well. Its use is limited to scrolling from the topmost point of a browser window to the bottommost point or vice versa. The scrollbar allows you to scroll the entire webpage irrespective of size.

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Being able to drag within a window has quite a lot of advantages which is why I suppose that the hand tool is ubiquitous thoughout the software industry, in relevent programs.

I also note that having this ability does not preclude the use of the scroll bars. Scroll bars are good for 1D scrolling, (although I'd used the arrow keys) but 2D scrolling is so much more convenient for non linear information for example an illustration.

If the image is too large for my screen which is often the case in graphic heavy forums, and I want to check out something that is diagonally off the window then I need to perform two separate scroll bar movements. And I cannot find the scroll bars without looking at them which means the computer is getting in my way unnecessarily.

Not only that but sometimes it is convenient to have a small window with copy that goes off the edge in two directions.

Anyway back to my original question, are there *any* browser that allow dragging in the window?

EDIT: unrelated to the thread, I have to post this image from amazon. WoW! 5 cents off, they'll be queuing around the block for this bargain.

Attached Files:

• _11.jpg
      _11.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Saft adds that feature to Safari. It will do the scrolly thing if you mouse around (no buttons) while holding down the Ctrl key.

Try the demo first though, the scrolling doesn't work everywhere (for example, nothing happens if just an image without an enclosing HTML page is loaded)

7. tempques macrumors member

Camino does it.

Hold the apple and option keys - the mouse cursor turns into a hand to show it's activated. While still holding them, click and hold your mouse button and drag the cursor.

8. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Thanks, I'll check out saft and camino sounds just like what i'm after. I didn't want to download a dozen browsers to check.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This utility might also be worth investigating....

http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html

Truth be told, when I use Windows PCs that have scroll wheels, my most frequent means of scrolling is pressing down on the scrollwheel and then using the drag/coast feature.

10. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Opera has an ability to scroll the page up and down by clicking and dragging at the top and bottom of the page itself.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have a MB or MBP, try 2-finger scrolling. It becomes 2nd nature in minutes. The cursor just needs to be over the window you are scrolling.

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What feature of Steermouse can mimic this behavior?

I've missed this feature of IE5:Mac too. Even with a 23" display I still often come across images in Safari that are too big for my window (which I definitely don't keep at the full hight and width of the screen) and want to Command click and start dragging around. Actually I sometimes inadvertently press Space to try to do this since that's what you do in Photoshop, which I use so often. Why don't they make the Space key do it! It's not like the default behavior is of much use (it does a Page Down or something??).

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Only mentioning as a general interest thing, since the feature's not well advertised: mice with scroll wheels will go horizonal if the shift key is held down.

14. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

When I open such an image, I drag it from the Safari window to the Preview
    icon, sitting in the Dock. When it opens in Preview, I can drag it around
    while holding the Space key.

But I still miss similar functionality in Safari.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have an ibook with firefox, and I can do the two finger scrolly thing. (up/down/side/diag) No button or key presses needed :)

16. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I thought SteerMouse had this feature...or something similar...or maybe it was a different "somthing"Mouse program altogether. I know that there's a program that does it though.