Do any new cars include iPhone compatibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kwill, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I am holding out for the next generation iPhone but am looking to purchase a new car by the end of this year -- seriously considering the Chrysler 300. (One week left.) Some new cars include iPod cables in the dash but because of the newness of the iPhone I wonder if the same is possible. Is the connector the same? Would Bluetooth connection allow dashboard control of iPhone music? Or would this need to be a custom after-market installation?

2. murdoc158 macrumors regular

I know BMW fully supports the iPhone if you order the ipod/USB option (6FL) when you purchase the car. I think most other manufactures see the iPod/iPhone as a mass USB storage device or make you use the headphone jack. One thing I do like about the BMW USB option is that the plug is under the center armrest and there is a storage pouch at the bottom of the armrest for your iPod. You can even use an external HD and it will show up as a mass USB storage device and you can browse through songs with the iDrive controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. silbeej macrumors 6502a

That is sweet, how you attached the HD to the armrest. As soon as i get a decent car, thats probably what i will do, so i can bring all my music with me. That phatbox unit is good too, but the storage is limited, and i hate how a person talks to you, at least in the VW's they do.

4. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

my range rover accepts the iphone perfectly. also my s60R works with it nicely too. cool thing with the volvo is when ou have it hooked up via the connector in the center console, when you get a call, the music fades out and the ringtone goes through your speaker...just not the call :(

5. seenett macrumors regular

I have heard really good things about the new Ford Sync system. Full wireless voice control for bluetooth phones, media players, and of course the iphone. Simple as saying "Play track Umbrella" , "Play Artist Gwen Stefani", "Play Playlist Purchased Music", or "Call Bob"

(brought to us by our friends at Microsoft)

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i second the bmw compatibility, though i have a different set-up than murdoc158.

i have the factory-installed bluetooth option, with which my iphone pairs up flawlessly and uploads the phonebook to the car so that it's visible on the stereo screen (i do not have idrive) - this screen acts as a caller ID display for incoming calls as well. the bluetooth option also has a programmable voice dialing system, so i can voice-dial with my iphone as long as i record the names and numbers i want to use with voice-dial. it also allows voice dialing by number without any pre-recording.

then i have the bmw ipod-your-bmw kit. plugging in my iphone charges it and allows me to play music and control it via the steering wheel controls. when a call comes in, the bluetooth system fades the music, shows the caller ID on the stereo screen, and i can answer and adjust volume using the steering wheel control. after the call is over, music playing resumes.

the only downside with the ipod-your-bmw kit is that you have to set up special playlists and name them a certain way in order for the kit to see and use them. and it doesn't show you song title, artist, or other information. there are some after-market kits that do show more information and will use any playlist on your iphone/ipod, but i just didn't do my research in advance of buying the bmw one when i got my car last year, but it still works out fine for me.

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I love threads like this. Thank for all the info guys!

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

wow nice little compartment / setup you got there...

for my old school 92 BMW, my iPhone compatibility = Dynex Cassette / headphone jack + iPhone / 20Gb iPod Color.

It works pretty well, sound quality is better than any FM transmitter I've used. :p and most importantly, it cost me $18.

I still need to find a good iPod car charger though...

9. page3 macrumors 6502

There is a whole range of CD players with iPod compatibility, so I wouldn't bother hunting for a car that comes with iPhone connectivity built in - unless I really liked the car.

I've just fitted the Pioneer DEH-P7900UB to my TVR, which works really well with the iPhone. Obviously it has to be turned up REALLY LOUD to be heard over the engine noise :D and I'm not sure if you are allowed cars with attitude over in the USA (which I assume is where you are?) :)

10. island macrumors 6502

island

06' M3 works perfect and I have the Navigation system. They didn't make the iDrive for this model (thank god!) so older and newer BMWs should work just fine.

BTW the 1.1.2 firmware fixed the issue where the WiFi interfered with the bluetooth so now everything works perfect for me!

11. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

Thanks for the replies and nice photos of a very slick installation. It looks as though my mind is set on the Chrysler 300. They have an mp3 audio and a MyGIG entertainment/navigation option. Apparently with the latter, iPods connect via USB for play but do not copy protected music onto the car's 20GB hard drive. However MP3, CD, and audio DVD music can be copied onto the drive. I guess, then, that an iPhone could either connect via USB or via BlueTooth to the voice command UConnect feature. The aux port would only support headphone music with no mp3 player control. Too bad that the USB port is on the front of the dash rather than in the glovebox or center console. It appears the best option is to download music to the car's hard drive and use a BlueTooth enabled phone (iPhone) for phone calls.

12. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Microsoft Sync

I just purchased a 2008 Ford Focus with the Microsoft Sync System. It is soooo cool. It synced with my iPhone right away and also I am able to use the USB to play my music. It works the same as the iPhone except uses voice commands to control. It turns off the music when a call comes in. From what they told me at the dealership, it will also read your text messages to you, not sure if that is compatible with the iPhone though. www.syncmyride.com

It allows you to pair 12 different phones at a time.

13. mrJnC macrumors regular

Were you able to place handsfree calls with voice recognition over bluetooth?

14. rayward macrumors 68000

I have a similar set-up, but without the iPod-my-BMW kit. I use a simple jack plug connection for the music (no ability to control the iPhone from the car controls) and BlueTooth for the phone. Other than controls and playlists, it works the same.

Mine is a 2005 Bimmer, and the BlueTooth can be shaky at times as it pre-dates the iPhone by two years! Quite amazing that the iPhone can connect at all, really, as the Samsung it replaced couldn't. Occasionally, it will lock up, not letting me make calls and sometimes not letting me answer or disconnect from calls. Annoying as hell when it happens, but not too frequent an occurrence, thankfully. Also, the 2005 is leased, and it's now 2008...

15. MyNewSolstice macrumors newbie

For GM cars MY'06 and Up a PAL (Personal Audio Link) chord can be added which allows the Iphone to be integrated into the stereo...Also nice to use a Bluetooth headset and keep the phone in the glove box

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    now that a couple years have passed....

what are the best cars for iphone integration?

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I continue to be a fan of the plain old analog aux. input.

I know...the quality isn't as good and you don't get control over the iPod. Yeah... it's true...but:

1) When my friend shows up in the passenger seat with an Android phone or laptop, he can still run his audio through my speakers.

2) I've seen some weird limitations with the "official" systems. I looked at a Mazda system once and found that it could only "see" iPod playlists that had 99 songs or less in them. Um....ok? Whenver I see someone trying to sell me an amazing iPod integration system I'm always wondering if it has some quirk like that they're not telling me about.

3) I'm protecting myself from Apple. I own cars for 10 years. Apple is constantly changing things. Yeah, the Dock connector has stayed the same size for years, but one small software change in an update and suddenly I lose a feature on a car I'm keeping for another 5 years.

I dunno. I admit I'm probably being overly paranoid...kind of like a guy who doesn't want to buy an LCD monitor for his computer yet "in case they don't catch on."

I'm not saying this is best for everyone, but those are my personal reasons.

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I own a 2010 Mazda CX9 and it has a full dock connector that supports both my iPhone 3GS, my wifes 3G, my daughters older 2G and an iPod Touch. It also pairs beautifully via BT for calls and A2DP for audio if I wanted that. It sounds so much better via the dock connector, however.

Full playlist, shuffle, etc. Controls available via the touchscreen head unit/Navi as well as the steering wheel. I typically just leave the Touch attached except for long trips when I attach my iPhone.

19. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I have an aftermarket unit that has a dock connector and bluetooth connectivity. I rarely use the dock connector and usually just play music through bluetooth. The "advantage" of the dock connector is you can view all your music on the unit itself, but to me its easier to navigate it on my phone then on the stereo. It may be different if you have a more intuitive stereo but with mine I dislike it. I'm with Small White Car, I'd prefer an aux input over iPod support if I were car shopping. Having both would be very nice.

20. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Check out Scion for a lower priced car that comes standard with both aux and ipod integration. It worked with my iPhone when I tried it.

21. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I have a '10 Prius and my 3GS works well in it. USB port is in the center console next to the AUX port. It can be controlled with voice or with the in-dash OEM touch screen.

22. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid works great with the iPhone. It syncs with my car's contacts, has a USB port if I want to charge and play music, and bluetooth if I want to go wireless. The only thing that doesn't work well is playing DRM music when controlled by the car. It can be done if you initiate it from the phone.

23. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

With my 2010 FFH I've had no problems with handsfree voice via bluetooth with the iPhone.

24. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Any car with the Ford "Sync" system will be your best bet. Those cars are have been built for this kind of technology and you won't find any better integration between technology and your car. I would strongly recommend a Ford Fusion. The build quality is there and the ride is quite nice. Good luck with the 300 :p

25. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete