Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
On a 2010 BMW 750i, with smarphone integration, the 3GS fits the holder perfectly, charges fine, uses the car's built in external antenna, connect and syncs contacts via blue tooth. The car's system has a separate Ipod integration where I have a Hard Drive based older iPod and it works perfectly through the iDrive system (so I do not use the iPhone's iPod function).

omerbaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
One thing you have to look out for is if the car will charge the iPhone. I have an '08 Scion xB and the connector will not charge my iPhone, at least not with out andapter.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
2010 Cobalt SS/TC USB works perfectly with iPhone/iPod. Bluetooth also works perfectly for making calls and the cars BT speech recognition has never failed me yet.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
many new cars such as the 2011 Hyundai Sonata and even the Buick Lacrosse and many new fords have Mp3 USB ports built right in the center console. Just like many have bluetooth built right in

I have heard really good things about the new Ford Sync system. Full wireless voice control for bluetooth phones, media players, and of course the iphone. Simple as saying "Play track Umbrella" , "Play Artist Gwen Stefani", "Play Playlist Purchased Music", or "Call Bob"

(brought to us by our friends at Microsoft)

I've seen it in person and i think Microsoft did a great job.

planemechanic

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
I have heard really good things about the new Ford Sync system. Full wireless voice control for bluetooth phones, media players, and of course the iphone. Simple as saying "Play track Umbrella" , "Play Artist Gwen Stefani", "Play Playlist Purchased Music", or "Call Bob"

I have a 2009 Ford with the sync and nav system. The iPhone and iPod will connect with bluetooth from your pocket or purse or backpack. My daughter loves to control the music from the back seat.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I have a 2009 Ford with the sync and nav system. The iPhone and iPod will connect with bluetooth from your pocket or purse or backpack. My daughter loves to control the music from the back seat.

I have a 2009 Edge with sync/nav and I have to agree it is top notch. When I went to pick out a car, I definitly took into account the "tech" level of the car and compatibility with iPhone/iPod. It had a line in and a USB built in to the arm rest. I leave a 16GB Nano plugged into the USB port out of sight. It is fully controllable with voice and steering wheel buttons. If you want you cant switch over to bluetooth connection with the iphone and stream music wirelessly from your pocket (can't voice control streaming music though). If you get a call on the iPhone it lowers sound of music and you hear the phone ringing...accept or ignore...after either your music starts right back up where it left off. I didn't see anything else on the market that impressed me like the SYNC set-up. The BMW I test drove may have been more "luxurious" but the media integration wasn't as slick. (Not to diss BMW, I definitely like their vehicles)

Edit: The USB port DOES charge your gear. One day my iPhone was running low and I left it in the car while I ran in for a class...charged while I was gone.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
can the iphone music be played via bluetooth or does it need to be plugged into usb? I would be using my iphone for both music and phone.

I assume that the music fades out when a call begins as is typically done with the iphone.

In my BMW, it plays via the connection which I assume is bluetooth. When someone calls me, the music stops and I answer the call.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
can the iphone music be played via bluetooth or does it need to be plugged into usb? I would be using my iphone for both music and phone.

I assume that the music fades out when a call begins as is typically done with the iphone.

Yes, the music plays via bluetooth, but will work over USB as well. Either way, the advantage with USB is that it will charge the phone and you can use the voice commands to control the music. With bluetooth you can do neither.

Yes, the music plays via bluetooth, but will work over USB as well. Either way, the advantage with USB is that it will charge the phone and you can use the voice commands to control the music. With bluetooth you can do neither.

But why would you want to use voice commands when you can control it with the steering wheel and radio? I mean I guess if you are looking for a specific song or something you can jump straight to it. But otherwise I think I'd rather just use the controls

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
But why would you want to use voice commands when you can control it with the steering wheel and radio? I mean I guess if you are looking for a specific song or something you can jump straight to it. But otherwise I think I'd rather just use the controls

No, Im sorry that I didn't make that clear. If you are using the iPhone via bluetooth the only way to change songs is through the phone itself. The buttons on the wheel nor radio will change the songs. Only way to use voice/buttons/etc in the car is through a wired connection.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
My girlfriend has a brand new 1 series BMW and it only has an auxiliary input (mini jack). iPhone connector was optional.

An iPhone connector would never influence my decision about cars.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-07 at 00.12.47.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-07 at 00.12.47.png
    686.2 KB · Views: 53
No, Im sorry that I didn't make that clear. If you are using the iPhone via bluetooth the only way to change songs is through the phone itself. The buttons on the wheel nor radio will change the songs. Only way to use voice/buttons/etc in the car is through a wired connection.

Oh well that is kinda unfortunate. I guess that feature could possibly be added with a software update? I know SYNC has had a few software updates since it's release. or is that something that just can't be done thru bluetooth?

andrew12090

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
I have an aftermarket pioneed premier system and it treats my iphone as an ipod but doesnt charge it.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Oh well that is kinda unfortunate. I guess that feature could possibly be added with a software update? I know SYNC has had a few software updates since it's release. or is that something that just can't be done thru bluetooth?

My understanding is that it is a limitation in the bluetooth connection rather than an issue for a SYNC upgrade. I am not 100% sure on this though. I have personally never seen a car that can control a wirelessly streaming phone, so I would say if it could be done someone would have already.

applefan022

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2010
Little Rock, AR
iPhone works perfect with 2010 Camaro, bluetooth is wonderful, and you can plug your iphone up via apple usb cord in the armrest and control the iPhone thru the head unit! Definately worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.