Do any of your parents ....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wywern209, Jun 22, 2009.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Do any of ur parents think that video games are a waste of money? Both of mine do. i attribute it to a few things. its the asian thing to excessively try to save money(i have nothing against saving money) , they tell me its waste of money because its childish among other things.( i think that there is nothing childish about them). Last of all, its not like i spend all of my money on games. i get maybe 3 games a a year. one during x-mas, one for my birthday and then one i buy because of the gap in between;that's it. I can sort of see it from their PoV when games can cost up to 60 bucks a pop nowadays. btw, i plan to open up my own game dev. studios sometime down the line soo, this is a real slap to the face. Btw, i don't play games to the point where it takes a higher priority than my school etc(i get straight As). so what does rest of MR think?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I (am 14) would rather not buy games and keep the money for a Mac. I am more entertained by free things (MacRumors, taking pictures of random things, Web development (can make money if I can find a good under 18 ad service), Photoshop (got an old version for free from a friend) and just about anything on the computer.)

Music and movies are the same way. I do not really care to spend money on them.

(if I got a gift card to a movie or game store I would trade it for cash with my brother or wal mart mom/dad)

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My parents don't really care, as long as I'm not playing games excessively. (I'm not into many video games anyway.)

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They don't think it's a waste of money because they're Asian. That's just silly. They think video games are a waste of money because they are a waste of money.

To be fair, so is a lot of the money that they spend, and the money that I spend. I may not buy video games, but that doesn't mean I don't waste money on other frivolities.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

my parents used to complain about it when i was younger, i used to go and buy all those classic oldies like duke nukem 3d and shadow warrior. Now they are not to concerned. There only concerned if i come back with another computer then i am instantly reminded that i have a house to pay off meh

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My parents never seemed to mind as I seemed to possess the ability to separate myself from them when needed. However games are a waste of money but so is say all the DVDs I buy or the money I throw away on vacations and such. Most everything can be seen as a waste of money depending on how you look at it.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"Waste" is subjective. Priority and what constitutes the definition of 'excessive time' is also subjective.

Be tolerant of your parents, they're probably just trying to keep you on the right path.

9. iGav macrumors G3

My mum's been a gamer since the '70's so my answer would've been a no.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It's all opinion, really.

Someone could say to them "saving money is a waste, because you can't take it with you when you die".

Games are entertainment.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're no more a waste of money than buying sports gear or other things to pass the time with. When I was a kid I used to play games with friends in a social way before I ever owned my own console. So they never saw it as a waste, I started doing artwork on the Amiga and it became less of a waste, then I started developing for Amiga and PC so it was becoming a potential career.

I think they can be a waste if you're one of them gamers that mindlessly purchase all the big games and hardly play through them. That isn't a hobby it's a flat out addiction.

Everything in moderation and all that.

12. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

When I was a young one (say, around 8-10 years old) my parents always said "are you sure you want to spend all your money on this game?" or something like that, just to make me realise that I'll be using all my money on just one game (that I usually became bored of a month later :eek:). After all, I was 8 in 2001, when games weren't as much of a 'bang for buck' as they are now.

I'm 15 now, and my parents usually don't guide me in buying video games anymore.... they let me buy pretty much anything I want to buy now.

13. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Games are a form of entertainment. It's an important part of life. Best of all, art forms like games, music, and movies, create artists by inspiring people to imitate.

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I agree with Abstract, again. So much of the money we spend is based on our priorities and have nothing to do with necessity. My priorities are different from someone else's and maybe what I spend money on is frivolous to someone else, but not to me.

The bottom line is I work for my money, and my money serves me - not someone else. I keep myself pretty tightly reigned in, but it's not really anyone else's business.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I feel like I'm different than most teenagers when it comes to video games. My parents let me buy whatever I want with my money for the most part, but I think they have taught me that there are far more important thing to spend money, for instance, a car. I already have a car, but insurance, and $419 for drivers training are coming up fast. :eek:

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Video games are a waste of money.

And time.

And their popularity spawns laziness. :eek:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

More so than watching films or TV?

18. AngryApple macrumors 6502

My parents don't care about me playing video games. They do, however, care a LOT about how much time I spend playing on the Internet. They try to limit me to one hour per day. I sneak on with my iPod touch all the time. I think they care more about online because I have a record of using the Internet for suicide-related information.

19. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ They might take your iPod touch if they see that

20. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

My parents are not bothered of what I buy, they're pretty lenient with me. They don't like me up to the early hours of the morning on the internet on school nights.

I am fourteen.

21. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

Hmm, well thing is my parents never played VGs in their entire life so i don't see that changing.:(

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

My parents barely use a computer. I just chalk it up to being inexperienced with it growing up

Rest assured when we are there age, there will be things that the new generation looks at and mocks us for not using.

23. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

i suppose as far as the technology things go.

24. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Yeah my parents have always thought that video games are a waste of Money, but now that my nephew wants them they but it for him so go figure. I remember when I was little they use to tell that I could only play NES for one hour at a time because it would mess up the colors on the TV.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My parents think paying for internet access is a waste of money. I told them I think paying nearly $75 a month for satellite TV (their vice) is a waste of money.

But then again, I'm 40 and spend my money wherever I please....:cool:

Moral of the story: to each his own. Not everyone is going to have the same priorities.