Do apple stores have replacements on hand??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gravytrain84, Mar 15, 2011.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I tried calling my local store today and the girl would not tell me. She kept saying "we need to see your iPad first"... I said I have a burnt pixel and do not wanna drive an hour + for nothing... She didn't seem to get it..:confused:

2. erure macrumors regular

I don't know either but I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow -- backlight bleeding. I'll let you know tomorrow, but I'm not expecting them to have back-ups; I'm hoping they'll call me and let me know when they have a replacement unit available and let me keep this one for now.

3. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Well they need to tell me before I spend $50 on gas for absolutely nothing... Everything has to be a secret with these damn people.

4. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

As far as I know, yes, all stores should have replacement units. However, due to the high demand, I don't know if they will replace it if it's only one pixel. I guess it depends if the stores has been getting a lot of returns, basically up t the genius. And yeah, don't try to get anything out of them on the phone, they just don't budge. I called my store two times in the past three years, for simple questions, and I just won't ever bother with calling again.

6. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Why don't they give info over the phone? Thats pretty ridiculous considering the price of fuel and the distance some people have to drive to get there.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Not sure if this is the case with the iPad 2 launch, but my first iPhone 3GS basically died less than 36 hours after I got it on launch day. Obviously all the stores were fresh out, yet I set up a genius bar appointment and brought my phone in. They were unable to fix it and to my surprise went into the back and took out a brand new still shrink wrapped 3GS and replaced it for me right on the spot. They had the sign at the front of the store saying that they didn't have anymore iPhones and everything, but still had at least a few in the back purely for replacements of defective units I'm guessing. Again, I do not know if this is the case with the iPad 2, nor if my particular situation with my 3GS is the norm at all Apple stores.

8. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

i went to my store and they had none, i got giftcard instead. :( which means im fighting everyone else for an iad again!!!

9. Cmegamighty macrumors member

They probably do because they need an extra set for replacements to fulfill the massive complaints.

10. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

That sucks. I'll hang on to mine before I do that.

11. mhinrichs macrumors newbie

Glendale Galleria store had a sealed unit (Verizon 32GB) on hand for a DOA exchange.
    They didn't let me change it for an ATT unit ;-)

12. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Normally, they should have replacement units - there are always exceptions, of course

I'm sure you could ask before they swap it out though - I say - go ahead and make the appointment - they'll let you decide if they don't have any replacement units

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you were not so OCD you would wait for a while before you return unit after unit seeking your perfect iPad. How many do you think it would take 4, 5 or maybe even 6 units. :mad:

Ohters are hoping to just get one to be happy, do you mind just waiting a week or two or will you die with one f&%king dead pixel?

14. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

This. You should wait for new shipments. Those are probably better than the first batch.

Be happy you even got an iPad 2

I'm still on my great search :p

15. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Made a reservation on Sunday evening. They obviously didn't have any to replace my cracked screen. (Yes it was dropped). They ordered a replacement unit and I just came back from the Apple store. Not a bad turn-around considering it is pretty much sold out here in the Boston Area.

They said in the first few weeks they are pretty much replacing all iPads, however I don't think if you are curious to see if it will blend, you'll get a warranty replacement.

16. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

U mad brah?

Anyways, how long do I have to return it to apple store without getting any grief? I was trying to do it within the 14 day period...

And as for "you should be happy to have one"... No really.. You could've waited in line just like I did and gotten one.. Save the sad story...

17. erure macrumors regular

So I just got back from my genius bar appointment and they gave me a retail swap, so I got a brand new one in the box (I had my box and all my stuff in it of course). It took a while for the genius to see it since it's so bright inside the store, but once she took it to the back, she saw the problem and exchanged it for me (but she did mention something about not having service replacements yet, so I guess if they did have refurbs, I would have just gotten a refurb). I'm hoping this one doesn't have problems.

18. jaimeastin macrumors regular

YES, and YMMV if they have any that day.---
    ---With it being so new, you have no choice but to get a new one :) ---
    Well, I bought mine at best buy and I noticed after opening the box that my bezel was damage and the glass edges where chipped... I took it to the apple store and told they specifcally that i was not trying to return/exhcange but wanted warranty support. They agreed and even pointed out more damage than i found... This was out of the box damaged... So they are going to do a warranty exchange. They told me that when they receive stock to sell, they also receive stock for just this purpose will have my replacement in the next few days.

I advise you to call apple or go to the apple store... DONT WAIT ANY LONGER! The more time you give them, the more it looks like you did it yourself, unless you can prove your time of ownership, time reporting it, and such... If you purchased it from another retailer... Good luck explaining to them as they will prob not do a thing about it. This is why you contact apple fore WARRANTY SUPPORT. This a manufacturer defect.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You got a full 90 days! LOL:p

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Doz uz speaks english, bro?:eek:

21. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Just called apple and went ahead and purchased apple care for $79 which includes advanced replacement (apple mails replacement while I keep my current iPad) I would've spent that in gas $$ anyway...

22. Gil22 macrumors member

what if you want to exchaneg and you already activated the 3g...how does that get moved?

23. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Check out our UK prices, £1.40 per litre, whats yours? $4 a gallon?

:D

24. kash04 macrumors newbie

kash04

they do, i couldnt get one because i got mine from bestbuy :-\ so i had to return it and am ipadless now :(

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

Swap the SIM (or if you don't want to swap then call AT&T to transfer your account to the new SIM).