Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mondayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
For example, can you not wear your space blsck with brown shoes? Or does the gold watch look bad when wearing a silver. Or. White gold ring? Discuss your dress etiquette with the apple watch.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
After a shower I dry off.
The don the apparel in this order;
Underwear, T-shirt (optional), socks, pants, shoes, watch, shirt, tie, jacket.

Is that what you mean?

Mondayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Anyone. In the professional world Generally knows your shoes needs to match your belt and your watch matches those. Since you can't wear a brown belt with black shoes I'm asking if it's appropriate to wear a black watch with brown shoes or khakis. Or a gold watch with a silver or white ring suh as a wedding ring. I can explain again if you are still confused.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I have seen space black/gray Apple watches paired with brown leather bands that looked really nice. You see black cases with brown straps from conventional watch makers as well... so it is possible to get a strap that matches your favorite pair of brown shoes and belt. I don't know about the gold with silver jewelry thing. It seems like most people wear mostly silver jewelry or mostly gold jewelry, but I've also seen a lot of people pair silver/stainless watches with gold wedding bands. I remember in the 1970's and 80's my dad wore a gold Pulsar LED watch that had a brown leather band and it looked fantastic with his gold wedding band. The brown band was dark enough to work with black shoes and a black belt, so he never worried about that combo.

I do think that the silver aluminum and the silver/chrome stainless steel are the easiest to match with a variety of band/strap colors, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to find a selection of bands/straps that look great with the black, gray, and gold cases. That new gold stainless color is beautiful, but I'm more of a silver or black person.

I would love the stainless steel watch, but I will probably stick with the less expensive aluminum for now. I've been wearing a Series 0 silver aluminum for three years now, so I wouldn't mind changing things up with the Space Gray S4. I will probably stick with silver though. For the record I usually switch to my black leather loop (it's a knockoff) when I dress up in a suit with black shoes and a black belt. There are those who think a smartwatch should never be worn to a formal event, but I think as long as it looks good just go with it. I switch to a simple face with no complications or bright colors. A black leather loop, or a back or silver Milanese loop, can dress up an Apple Watch nicely. I rarely attend formal events though, so my brown leather strap is definitely a casual one. I wear it with my casual black leather shoes and black belt all the time. Other times I might switch to the black leather loop or even a gray woven nylon strap. I also wear my black leather loop with brown shoes sometimes. Other times not. It's so easy to change bands and I like to take advantage of that. Just like anything dress related, I keep the conventional rules in mind but also trust my instincts for what looks good together. Then I ask my wife since I might be wrong. :D

Mondayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
I have seen space black/gray Apple watches paired with brown leather bands that looked really nice. You see black cases with brown straps from conventional watch makers as well... so it is possible to get a strap that matches your favorite pair of brown shoes and belt. I don't know about the gold with silver jewelry thing. It seems like most people wear mostly silver jewelry or mostly gold jewelry, but I've also seen a lot of people pair silver/stainless watches with gold wedding bands. I remember in the 1970's and 80's my dad wore a gold Pulsar LED watch that had a brown leather band and it looked fantastic with his gold wedding band. The brown band was dark enough to work with black shoes and a black belt, so he never worried about that combo.

I do think that the silver aluminum and the silver/chrome stainless steel are the easiest to match with a variety of band/strap colors, but that doesn't mean it isn't easy to find a selection of bands/straps that look great with the black, gray, and gold cases. That new gold stainless color is beautiful, but I'm more of a silver or black person.

I would love the stainless steel watch, but I will probably stick with the less expensive aluminum for now. I've been wearing a Series 0 silver aluminum for three years now, so I wouldn't mind changing things up with the Space Gray S4. I will probably stick with silver though. For the record I usually switch to my black leather loop (it's a knockoff) when I dress up in a suit with black shoes and a black belt. There are those who think a smartwatch should never be worn to a formal event, but I think as long as it looks good just go with it. I switch to a simple face with no complications or bright colors. A black leather loop, or a back or silver Milanese loop, can dress up an Apple Watch nicely. I rarely attend formal events though, so my brown leather strap is definitely a casual one. I wear it with my casual black leather shoes and black belt all the time. Other times I might switch to the black leather loop or even a gray woven nylon strap. I also wear my black leather loop with brown shoes sometimes. Other times not. It's so easy to change bands and I like to take advantage of that. Just like anything dress related, I keep the conventional rules in mind but also trust my instincts for what looks good together. Then I ask my wife since I might be wrong. :D
This is the type of discussion and feedback I was seeking. Thank you.

Reactions: jaymc and 0970373

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Anyone. In the professional world Generally knows your shoes needs to match your belt and your watch matches those. Since you can't wear a brown belt with black shoes I'm asking if it's appropriate to wear a black watch with brown shoes or khakis. Or a gold watch with a silver or white ring suh as a wedding ring. I can explain again if you are still confused.
Here is what I’ve noticed in the business world. When it comes to Apple Watch no one cares. I’ve seen multi millionaire CEOs in meetings with the aluminum Watch with a cheap sport band or knockoff stainless steel band completely scratched up and shredded. They tend to throw the band away and just buy another $30 knockoff after it’s demolished. I’ve seen more IT desktop support techs with the more expensive stainless steel model than I have with any VPs or CEOs. It’s pretty funny actually. Never seen the ceramic in the real world.

Reactions: QuietFun and Luba

Mondayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Here is what I’ve noticed in the business world. When it comes to Apple Watch no one cares. I’ve seen multi millionaire CEOs in meetings with the aluminum Watch with a cheap sport band or knockoff stainless steel band completely scratched up and shredded. They tend to throw the band away and just buy another $30 knockoff after it’s demolished. I’ve seen more IT desktop support techs with the more expensive stainless steel model than I have with any VPs or CEOs. It’s pretty funny actually. Never seen the ceramic in the real world.
Yes. That's what I posted to discover. Do apple watches transcend these rules? And it seems that in some cases they do.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I wonder how much this had to do with IT staff being more confident in purchasing an Apple Watch, while the executives might have been going with the cheaper model just to see how they liked it? Or perhaps it is because the executives already owned one or more very expensive conventional watches, so they figured they might as well get the inexpensive Apple Watch and switch to their expensive watches for special occasions?

I'm a manager in our IT department. I recall the first smartwatches I saw were a couple of Android wear or Samsung Gear models worn by a few of our desktop support techs (they tend to favor Android). I was among the first to get an Apple Watch (silver aluminum sport) along with a couple of our IT directors who both purchased space gray aluminum sports. Nobody had fancy bands, although one of the directors got a black Milanese Loop knockoff (he showed it to me and it looked nice). Our CIO used to have an Apple Watch that I think was stainless SB, but last week I saw him wearing what looked like Samsung Gear S3 with the stock band.

I think a lot depends on where you live. I used to live in Washington, DC where I saw many expensive watches (on other people) and attended more formal events than I do today. Now I live in the Pacific NW where the truly formal events are few and far between. People around here don't like to flaunt their wealth as much either, so I think that is why I don't see many SS Apple Watches (not that one needs to be wealthy to buy a SS Apple Watch... just that the mentality around here is to go for utility over luxury... even when you can afford luxury). I have never seen a ceramic one either. About the only time I see a SS Apple Watch is when our Apple reps pay us a visit. I only know a few people here who wear expensive conventional watches around here. Everyone else seems to buy their watches from Apple or REI (Garmins are really popular).

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietFun and Luba

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I tend to wear a brown leather strap with my grey ceramic if I’m at work with brown shoes and belt. Then again, some days I wear it with the grey sports band and it looks great with a blue shirt.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
White ceramic and the band compliments the shirt.
Black ceramic black band
SS leather band that compliments the shirt/

Dress - sport band, Milanese or leather
Casual - sport band, Nike, sport loop maybe a Milanese.

Reactions: sean000

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I've wondered this as well. I've been wearing a SS Series 0 for the last couple of years (maybe 3? I've lost track!)

Anyway, I tend to wear my silver Milanese or my silver link for dressier situations. For casual, preppy attire I change to a leather band or color-coordinate. Then if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt, I'll wear a sports band.

But yes, if I'm wearing brown loafers, I don't wear a black band. However, I've noticed that most of the people I'm around with Apple Watches tend to wear the same strap everyday. (My previous watch was a Philip Stein, and I changed bands daily with it too. So maybe I was just in the habit.)

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I've wondered this as well. I've been wearing a SS Series 0 for the last couple of years (maybe 3? I've lost track!)

Anyway, I tend to wear my silver Milanese or my silver link for dressier situations. For casual, preppy attire I change to a leather band or color-coordinate. Then if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt, I'll wear a sports band.

But yes, if I'm wearing brown loafers, I don't wear a black band. However, I've noticed that most of the people I'm around with Apple Watches tend to wear the same strap everyday. (My previous watch was a Philip Stein, and I changed bands daily with it too. So maybe I was just in the habit.)
What do you think of the Milanese vs the Link Bracelet? I've had the Milanese and liked it except when it lost of some of its magnetic strength. Also I can't use my MacBook with the Milanese on as it will scratch the MacBook where I rest my palms. That would probably happen with the Link Bracelet too. I felt the Milanese was very comfortable though and look good. Is the Link as comfortable? I'm glad the Link has easy to take out links because I see myself taking links in and out to get the right fit and to have the closure centered just right under my wrist. I thought about getting the Link but it was $450 then, and then Apple stopped offering it altogether. It's back and at $350. :)

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
What do you think of the Milanese vs the Link Bracelet? I've had the Milanese and liked it except when it lost of some of its magnetic strength. Also I can't use my MacBook with the Milanese on as it will scratch the MacBook where I rest my palms. That would probably happen with the Link Bracelet too. I felt the Milanese was very comfortable though and look good. Is the Link as comfortable? I'm glad the Link has easy to take out links because I see myself taking links in and out to get the right fit and to have the closure centered just right under my wrist. I thought about getting the Link but it was $450 then, and then Apple stopped offering it altogether. It's back and at $350. :)

I'm on my Macbook Pro right now, and I happen to be wearing my Milanese today; now that you mention it, I think I might have noticed a problem with the magnet and computer every once in a while, but apparently not enough to make me think twice when choosing a band!

The Link is pretty comfortable for what it is. I tried a few off-market ones before it, and the Link was a huge step forward. But the Milanese has that little bit of give, and I think that makes it more comfortable.

And yes, I love the easy to take out links in the Link! I have a small wrist, and I had to take out quite a few. The Link made it easy to do.

Honestly, there's probably no clear pattern as to whether I choose Link or Milanese; I think they both look great. I've got several other bands as well, including a couple that I bought off Etsy a couple of years ago; there are some amazing leather artisans overseas that will customize the band the way you want it. Back then, I decided to go ahead; brown leather is classic, and I figured I would wear it all of the time. But it feels heavier for some reason, so I'll wear it a few times in the fall or winter.

I really wish that I could choose the specific band when buying my new watch!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I generally think people just look at it like it's a tech device and they wear it with whatever they want to. Some are more fashionable and mindful of what they want to pair the Apple Watch with specific attire, that's understandable. But as somebody else alluded to above me, there are those who don't care, they will wear it with anything, because it's not some high-end mechanical watch, it's a tech watch.

For me, I have personally paired my Apple Watch depending on when I'm wearing based on color, etc. But I'm more about fashion at times as well.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I generally think people just look at it like it's a tech device and they wear it with whatever they want to. Some are more fashionable and mindful of what they want to pair the Apple Watch with specific attire, that's understandable. But as somebody else alluded to above me, there are those who don't care, they will wear it with anything, because it's not some high-end mechanical watch, it's a tech watch.

For me, I have personally paired my Apple Watch depending on when I'm wearing based on color, etc. But I'm more about fashion at times as well.

Even with high end mechanical watches, take the submariner as an example, most people don’t change it depending on their outfit largely because they can’t afford multiple Swiss watches in different colours, bands etc. So in reality this is not just an Apple Watch issue but a generic watch issue. And yup...so 1st world. Haha

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Even with high end mechanical watches, take the submariner as an example, most people don’t change it depending on their outfit largely because they can’t afford multiple Swiss watches in different colours, bands etc. So in reality this is not just an Apple Watch issue but a generic watch issue. And yup...so 1st world. Haha

But that would be mainly silver anyway, plain silver goes with anything, same as a platinum wedding ring. Unless you’re wearing gold cuff links mind, but that’s another story... lol

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
But that would be mainly silver anyway, plain silver goes with anything, same as a platinum wedding ring. Unless you’re wearing gold cuff links mind, but that’s another story... lol

I take your point but you could get a Patel Phillipe or even a sportier Tag or Brietling etc and most people would still just wear the same watch with every outfit as it’s likely to be there one expensive watch.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I’d avoid wearing a (PRODUCT) RED Sport Band with a dark suit when going to a funeral, but otherwise I don’t obsess over mixing and matching bands with the casual clothes I mostly wear. Series 2 Stainless Steel with mainly leather and sports bands and sports loops.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.