Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Please look at my post again, I updated it.

The i5 is faster, but its not an incredible increase for everyday use (you might notice its only a few seconds faster than the i3 UNLESS you are using a single core program. With a single core program, it will shut down one of the two cores, and increase that speed to 3.8ghz

Mhz is just the speed of a processor. There is a .4Ghz increase, or 400mhz.

3.2ghz = 3200mhz
3.6ghz = 3600mhz

**Okay, so if they are shipped from California, does it matter if it was shipped to the Apple Store or your house?

FYI, i5 has hyperthreading and more L3 cache which does make a difference.

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Apple wouldn't mind if you spent more money on their products. :)
I thought I read in previous posts that one iMac was for work and the other was for casual home use?

I think the casual home use should get the i3, and you should keep the i5 for the work stuff.

If the casual home use is doing a lot of multimedia stuff, then keep the i5 in that one and the i3 in the work one. (It really depends how you are assorted the uses of your computer).

Buy Applecare.

I do nothing really casually :)
I called the Apple Store and they told me the running system used the turbo boost so everything would be faster before forwarding me to the online number where they told me it would only effect video editing and gaming :confused:
I am like why do they even sell the i5 if there is no difference :confused:
I always buy AppleCare :)

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Apple say that I would not benefit at all from the turbo boost unless I got into say serious multi-layer photo rendering.
I will benefit from the multi-threading especially with my very heavy web browsing.
I did talk to someone extremely helpful :)

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Update: One of the boxes had broken foam on the inside :mad:

Both of them have dust or white fabric threads under the glass and also the glass is really smeared under the glass as if they had been badly cleaned ..
One also has a yellow monitor on the whole left side :mad:

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
OP, the condition of the box indirectly tells you how it was treated. Sounds like it was knocked around quite abit. If it mwere me, Id send it back. No telling what all that jarring did to the inards of your computer. You spent WAY too much money to have problems from the get-go. Be prudent and get a new one. A computer even if supported by packaging can still be damaged fro mthe excessive forces found duringshipment. Dont forget the journey it took to get to you.

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
...and not a single picture of the boxes and/or iMac.:(

I will try later to post pictures later :eek:
I will be returning both and getting to two of the i3 computers from the local store instead ..
Just as a side note the best information I got about the i3 and the i5 was from calling Intel.
I wish the store carried all the computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.