Do/did you get Apple Care for your iPhone(s)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wineandcarbs, Jul 12, 2010.

?

Do/did you get Apple Care for your iPhone(s)?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. Covered by superior consumer laws

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Do you get the Apple Care extended warranty for your iPhone?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had for a 3G and a 3Gs, never needed them but it was good for the peace of mind.

Given the high incidence of reported problems with the IP4, I'd say an extended warranty is a necessity for this baby.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Other than it being a waste of money under ANY circumstance, if you insist on getting it there is absolutely no reason to get it until your initial 1 year warranty is almost up because it gives you nothing extra above the standard 1yr warranty.

If you sell your phone before the first yr is up you've wasted the money you've paid for it. Apple will sell it to you even on day 364 of your original 1yr warranty so you have nothing to lose (except money) by waiting.

4. frosse macrumors 6502a

So Apple Care doesn't cover a broken screen due to dropping it?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No only manufacturer defects

6. ScoobyVick macrumors newbie

apple care

i thought apple care just gave you two years from the purchase date of your phone? so it doesn't matter when you buy it.

edit: nm... i see what you're saying about waiting...

7. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Can't you make this into a poll?

I did get Apple Care for my iPhone 4. Regret not having had the chance to get it for my 3G.

Edit: Regret not having purchased it for my 3G.

8. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is correct. As TB07-NJ said, they told me I could buy it anytime during the first year of included warranty service if I opted to get it.

Sorry - didn't think of that at the time and now when I go to edit I don't see that option.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This.

To make a poll, report your thread to the mods, and ask for it to be made into a poll.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

If you need phone support, you'll want to get it within 90 days.

Over the years I found if you have extended AppleCare you can push harder for resolution of problems. You're technically not paying for better service, but I think the CSRs are and should be more diligent in helping to find a resolution to problems for people who pay the premium.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've never had it on any iPhone/Mac that I have owned. Never needed it.

12. drober30 macrumors 6502a

It does give you 1yr of phone support over the 90 days that come standard with the phone.

I agree that if you are somebody who upgrades every year than Apple Care is probably not a good idea.

Square Trade covers accidental damage so that seems like the way to go, however, I have never done business with them but they seem to get good reviews on these forums.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Added poll.

Any other option needed...? ;)

Any cell phone bought by a regular consumer in Norway is covered for 5 years against any manufacturing faults, by law. (Business purchases are not covered, so for that Apple Care - or similar - is absolutely essential.)

15. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. dcipjr macrumors newbie

I bought my iPhone using an American Express card, and Amex automatically doubles the manufacturer warranty for up to an additional year. I don't need to buy AppleCare, because Amex will handle it for me if anything goes wrong after the first year, and in 2 years, it'll be time for a new iPhone.

Make sure you know your credit card's capabilities before you dig deeper into your pockets for AppleCare.

17. dubnde macrumors regular

18. phatspider macrumors 6502

Whereabouts? Shows as £52.99 for me

19. dubnde macrumors regular

They've probably been snapped up. At the time I got mine, the most expensive was in the 30+ quids

20. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I believe AMEX excludes cell phones from all of it's extended warranties (at least they USED to when they turned me down a couple years ago). Look at the contract posted online (don't call a CSR because they don't really know, they automatically say yes which is what happened t o me). The actual insurance contract can be found online somewhere.

21. dagored macrumors 65816

I covered two phone on AppleCare for $64 total. Could not pass it up.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why bother if a majority of users here upgrade yearly?

Just purchase with a CC that doubles the warranty and it'll mirror Applecare in the second year and it'll be good enough until your next eligible upgrade. No charge either.

23. dagored macrumors 65816

In that second year, does the CC company give you a new phone on the spot or do you have to jump thru hoops? Fill in forms, etc.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You file a claim with the CC company and they reimburse you. Amex makes it easy and won't require you to submit your receipt, etc. Some issuers of Visa/MC attempt to make the process difficult in order to deter the number of claims. I recommend that you use Amex when you need to double the warranty, get 90-day accidental damage/theft coverage, etc.

Given that the OOW (out of warranty) repair/replacement price is $199, this is equivalent to or less than the subsidized price that you charged on the card so you'll certainly be covered. You call up Amex and inform them that you want to file a claim and the repair is $199, they'll tell you to go ahead and charge $199 on the card (and get a new phone on the spot), then fill out the claim form to get reimbursed.

25. dcipjr macrumors newbie

I checked my contract (I knew I was keeping all that documentation for something!) I got my AMEX in Feb of '10. They don't mention anything about excluding cell phones. Plus I've read from several folks that have used it to get their iPhones repaired. They must have changed it.