Do I get lion for free if I buy SL now?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zentenk, Aug 14, 2011.

1. zentenk macrumors member

I'm not sure which forum to post this so I chose this section and I couldn't find anything relating to this on google (I'm an idiot so I might have missed it ;)).

I have a PC that I want to install mac.

I will be buying a copy of snow leopard, but does that mean I would have to buy snow leopard AND lion as well to get lion? $30 for hard copy of SL and another $30 for Lion?

Or is it if I buy snow leopard now I can download lion in the mac app store for free?

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

My understanding is you only get a free copy of Lion with a new Mac purchased after a certain date (within 30 days of Lion's release, and after, if it came with SL).

3. zentenk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

So if I go buy a retail copy of SL now I would be able to download and upgrade e to Lion without paying an extra $30 correct?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, you wouldn't. You would have to pay another $30 to purchase Lion.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Might As Well

By both, the only free offer is with a new mac or iMac.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Snow Leopard/Lion questions aside, you can't simply pop in the SL disk in a PC and install OSx like you would install Windows. There are many conditions with regard to hardware and modifying the software.

7. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Also, having run all over town two weeks ago (Best Buys website said they had some in stock, but they didn't. apparently they were supposed to have one left but I guess it grew legs.) I figured I would save you some hassle, the only place you will probably be able to find a SL is the apple online store and it will take 3-5 days to ship and another 3-5 days to be delivered.