Do I have a case to request a replacement for my Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SuperSnake2012, Dec 23, 2008.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I have a Rev A Macbook, bought in September 2006. I bought the extended Applecare warranty so I'm covered until September 2009. It's been through a bunch of repairs... gotten a new logic board, new battery, 3 new top cases, and it's been in a few times for the inverter to fix the screen flickering issue. On December 18 I dropped off my Macbook at the Apple Store, because the top case chipped again, and the screen flickering issue had been getting worse. It happens mainly when I am on battery power, and since I am using it in college, I see the screen flicker all the time. I just got my Macbook back from the Genius Bar last night, to get a 3rd top case and to fix the flickering issue. I got it back with a new top case, but the flickering was still there. I called Applecare and I was told that the inverter was not even replaced by the genius, despite the Genius telling me that "this was a known issue with the Macbook". I wonder why it took 3 business days to replace the top case? :confused: The person from Applecare said the only thing I could do was bring it to an Apple Store to have it replaced again. Should I just humor them and bring it back to the Apple Store again? Or is there some other course of action I can take to request a replacement? This is really frustrating, because I don't want to have to start the semester without a computer, and I'm getting annoyed with not having my computer for days at a time, and not having the issue fixed. :(

2. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

If I were you I'd walk my ass into a apple store and demand a new laptop, it shouldn't be that faulty.

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yeah, you actually do have a case for a replacement. That's crazy. Good luck, let us know what happens.

4. youssefm macrumors 6502

call public relations and ask them to give you a new aluminum macbook

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You can ask for a replacement and, I think you might get it. But, do not expect to get a new unibody MacBook.

6. spazattack674 macrumors regular

You should be able to. If, after the service provided by AppleCare, you still have the same issue, or the same issue is recurring, they should replace it. You may have to talk to a manager/be persistent, but you should be able to get it replaced. I had to have my MacBook (Rev. A, also) replaced because of the second or third occurrence of the same issue. They wanted to send it to the AppleCare service center for two or three weeks, so I then demanded for a refund (around 90 days after purchase), which I knew I wouldn't get. After that, when the manager came over, I just asked for a replacement, and she gladly sent in the request and I had a new MacBook within a week.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Isn't it after 3 repairs that you get a replacement?

8. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

definitely have a case for getting a replacement. When I bought my first macbook it started going with in the first year. First the disk drive went, they replaced it for free, then the hard drive went, they fixed it, then the hard drive went again, and they said I had been through enough and gave me a new one. This was very nice considering they macbooks had been upgraded by this point. If they don't offer to replace it ask for the on-site manager and expalain the situation you have gone through, but be nice about it and they'll probably help you out.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You have a case for a replacement. Just don't act like this kid ...

10. lidomkj macrumors regular

I completely agree, do not walk in there demanding a new laptop. Explain the situation and that you have been patient through the whole process. Make sure you talk with the manager or call Apple directly.

I ended up getting my Macbook Air replaced for the new macbook after all the repairs I had. I got the refund for the full purchase price including the external superdrive and Applecare. I even had the Air for about 10 months. I used the refund to purchase the new 2.4 Macbook, warranty, 4gb Ram upgrade and Mobile Me subscription. I called Applecare and they made the arrangements with the local store manager. The exchange was set up before I even stepped through the door. The local store was absolutely no help when I asked them for a replacement the day before. I was not rude or impatient with them at all, but they did not want to help for some reason. It was not until Apple called them directly and told them to replace it for me did I get any help.

11. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who did you speak with to have that set up? I called AppleCare directly and they just told me to go back to Apple Store and give them the case number so they could do a repair. I'd rather not wait through another 3 business day repair, especially around the holidays.

12. lidomkj macrumors regular

It was someone at Apple customer service. I explained the long history and what the Apple store said. I asked them to intervene for me and they took care of it.

13. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

3 similar repairs, yes.

14. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

:( way to kill my christmas cheer.

15. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I got my plastic MB replaced with a new unibody....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=619380

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nice...:cool:

Definitely, overdue for a new MB 2.4 Unibody...:cool:

17. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Should I just call back Applecare and request to speak to a manager? I don't know who else I could call. Thanks guys, that would be sweet if they replaced it with a 2.4 unibody MB :cool:

18. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: I waited a bit after Christmas to make a phone call because I was busy, but I called in today. The person that answered the phone on Applecare suggested that I send it in or bring it to the Apple Store but I told him that I brought it in, and they didn't even fix the issue. He sympathized and transferred me to customer relations, but they're only open from Monday - Friday, so I told him I would call back Monday. Let's hope I can get a Unibody MB and have a Macbook that doesn't flicker uncontrollably :rolleyes:

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

When you do call customer relations the first thing to do is remain calm. Explain to them that you have had multiple repairs (done by Apple) on this machine and you feel as though you've gotten a lemon. Also tell them that due to all of these repairs your Mac no longer "feels" like a new computer but rather an old refurbished machine with continuous issues. Tell them you no longer have any faith in sending it in for yet another repair that may result in yet, another repair. Politely tell them that you will only be comfortable with a replacement BUT don't try and negotiate for a unibody model because they may think you just have an agenda to get the latest model.
    Most likely they will replace it without issue, especially since you have Applecare and you may end up with the new unibody.

At any rate you most certainly deserve a replacement based on what you've been through. Please let us know what happens.

20. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Very good advice, this approach worked for me.......

21. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

First, you really need to manage your expectations. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. You should expect them to reasonable resolve the situation and provide you with a working computer, whether it is the one you currently via repair have or a replacement.

Is it reasonable to expect them to replace your machine? Perhaps. Is it reasonable to expect the newest model? Not so much...

Good luck with your problem.

22. amrk47 macrumors regular

I am almost 100percent sure you will get a new aluminum macbook

23. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also wanted to mention that I got a new Superdrive from Apple, and I am running on a new hard drive ;) Looking forward to making my phone call on Monday.

24. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Knew I should have taken applecare on mine last xmas before it expired. 2 months after my case cracked. It pains me to see it help together with sticky tape :(

25. ahmad123456789 macrumors member