Do I have to turn my MBP off?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
You don't have to turn it off but it may be a good idea to power it off or reboot it from time to time to clear out RAM etc. especially after long durations or if you notice a degradation in performance.

iSilentP

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I always use the sleep mode. About once every two weeks I cycle the power. Also good idea keep battery at top performance by draining it completely about once a month. I do that at the first of each month so to keep on regular schedule.

seanxwong

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
I've been used to turning it off on Win Os on daily basis. it's still hard to me to switch my habit to Mac.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
yeah the newer windows are pretty good at this as well. I have a uptime of 20 days on my desktop win7, with no noticeable performance loss. Quite different from the good old Windows ME days where you had to restart every few hours :p

Seriously, Windows ME has to be the worst windows so far, followed by XP.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I shut it down every night. With Lion's resume-from-where-you-left-off convenience accompanied by a super-fast SSD, I see no reason not to. I find, for me at least, that it clears the RAM and makes things faster than leaving it constantly on. This said, you certainly don't have to shut it down.

g8rduc

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Florida
I used to just leave mine in sleep when I put it in my backpack but on several occasions, I would open my backpack and it was heating up to shut off point...seems bouncing around would waken the computer. I always shut it off in traveling now.

mdhansen5

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Colorado
Not an issue at all. You may want to restart or shut down every once in a while just to clean up your open programs and free up your memory, but staying on sleep is fine. If you commute a lot, it might be smart to shut down, just so your hard drive isn't spinning at all so it stays safe.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
How long do you leave it like this and what do you use it for?
It doesn't really matter though it probably is not good if it is constantly under high load. In that case a Desktop is better as it can keep temps way down compared to a notebook under load and higher temps means faster aging means likely to fail sooner.

I often leave mine on over night. During the day if I only work on one place it stays there turned until I let it sleep at the end of the day. Wake up in the morning. It is pretty much never shut down completely. I only reboot it when the update nagging is too much. Often I delay even the updates because I don't want to reboot.
It really doesn't matter. Use it anyway it is convenient for you.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I do shut it down once a week. Sleeping drains your battery, slowly but it does. When I let it sleeping I usually keep it connected to power.

Telephoner

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Now I have 13 days running time. Generally I reboot my Mac when there is a Software Update available to install.

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
You don't have to turn it off but it may be a good idea to power it off or reboot it from time to time to clear out RAM etc. especially after long durations or if you notice a degradation in performance.
Or just use the purge command from the command line to free up RAM...

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Out of curiosity, why are people leaving their machines running or using sleep? Are there background processes you wish to keep running like downloads etc. or is it just so the machine is ready when you need it?
After moving to an SSD, I personally see no need to even use sleep, I just power off and power on when I need it.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I believe it's because many of us use them frequently throughout the day with breaks in between, it wouldn't be logical to turn it off and on 5 times a day. That's what the sleep function is for.

Dizzie20vt

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
mine pretty much goes update to update without being rebooted or shut down. Granted SSD boots are super quick, but not as quick as opening the lid :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.