Do I have to turn my MBP off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nevergettoride, May 27, 2012.

1. nevergettoride macrumors newbie

I utilise the sleep function all the time - is this a problem?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

No, that's not a problem. You don't have to turn it off.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

You don't have to turn it off but it may be a good idea to power it off or reboot it from time to time to clear out RAM etc. especially after long durations or if you notice a degradation in performance.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hardly turn my MBP off and put it in sleep instead

6. iSilentP macrumors newbie

I always use the sleep mode. About once every two weeks I cycle the power. Also good idea keep battery at top performance by draining it completely about once a month. I do that at the first of each month so to keep on regular schedule.

7. seanxwong macrumors newbie

I've been used to turning it off on Win Os on daily basis. it's still hard to me to switch my habit to Mac.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Windows is exactly the same, you don't need to do daily shutdowns.

9. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

yeah the newer windows are pretty good at this as well. I have a uptime of 20 days on my desktop win7, with no noticeable performance loss. Quite different from the good old Windows ME days where you had to restart every few hours :p

Seriously, Windows ME has to be the worst windows so far, followed by XP.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I shut it down when I travel far.
    Other than that, its always on sleep mode.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I shut it down every night. With Lion's resume-from-where-you-left-off convenience accompanied by a super-fast SSD, I see no reason not to. I find, for me at least, that it clears the RAM and makes things faster than leaving it constantly on. This said, you certainly don't have to shut it down.

12. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I agree with ME but XP? Always found that to be a great OS. Vista only lasted an hour on my machine before getting wiped and back to XP!

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No but unlike OSX you do have to reboot it more often. Heck, we reboot the servers at least once a month at my job.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I shut down when commuting. Don't want to hurt that battery health :D

15. Telephoner macrumors newbie

I never put my Mac on sleep or shut down. I just leave it on.

16. g8rduc macrumors newbie

g8rduc

I used to just leave mine in sleep when I put it in my backpack but on several occasions, I would open my backpack and it was heating up to shut off point...seems bouncing around would waken the computer. I always shut it off in traveling now.

17. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

How long do you leave it like this and what do you use it for?

18. mdhansen5 macrumors member

Not an issue at all. You may want to restart or shut down every once in a while just to clean up your open programs and free up your memory, but staying on sleep is fine. If you commute a lot, it might be smart to shut down, just so your hard drive isn't spinning at all so it stays safe.

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It doesn't really matter though it probably is not good if it is constantly under high load. In that case a Desktop is better as it can keep temps way down compared to a notebook under load and higher temps means faster aging means likely to fail sooner.

I often leave mine on over night. During the day if I only work on one place it stays there turned until I let it sleep at the end of the day. Wake up in the morning. It is pretty much never shut down completely. I only reboot it when the update nagging is too much. Often I delay even the updates because I don't want to reboot.
    It really doesn't matter. Use it anyway it is convenient for you.

20. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I do shut it down once a week. Sleeping drains your battery, slowly but it does. When I let it sleeping I usually keep it connected to power.

21. Telephoner macrumors newbie

Now I have 13 days running time. Generally I reboot my Mac when there is a Software Update available to install.

22. phonitron macrumors member

Or just use the purge command from the command line to free up RAM...

23. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Out of curiosity, why are people leaving their machines running or using sleep? Are there background processes you wish to keep running like downloads etc. or is it just so the machine is ready when you need it?
    After moving to an SSD, I personally see no need to even use sleep, I just power off and power on when I need it.

24. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I believe it's because many of us use them frequently throughout the day with breaks in between, it wouldn't be logical to turn it off and on 5 times a day. That's what the sleep function is for.

25. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

mine pretty much goes update to update without being rebooted or shut down. Granted SSD boots are super quick, but not as quick as opening the lid :cool: