Do I keep my unlimited VZW data plan if they take it away??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by racedude, Apr 9, 2011.

1. racedude macrumors member

Hey everyone,

So I was at the apple store awhile ago, and ended up talking with a store rep for a while. We got to talking about the Verizon Wireless unlimited plan (the exact reason why I chose them over AT&T, both are great companies though :p). Anyway, I know there have been rumors in the past that they are planning to discontinue this plan and bring tiered data plans as AT&T does later this summer/fall. Now from what I understand I will stay grandfathered in correct? What about after my contract is up, would I still be able to keep my unlimited data plan after my 2 years, and just renew the same contract I have? Just was looking for some insight!

Thanks
    Kyle

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You'll have to wait and see.
    I would assume they'd just let the people who already have unlimited keep it.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You'll be able to keep your unlimited until the contract expires. After expiration you can technically continue but not renew with Verizon. You're a "month to month" user. Plan will stay the same. If you renew, you'll be corralled into whatever offering is available at the time.

You have two choices.. You can wait until just before they kick in tiered pricing and renew even if your current contract hasn't expired to lock in the price - or you can run your current contract out and just not renew in which case it simply continues. Only place it really affects you is if you want to upgrade hardware and get a discount as that requires a renew.

I've had them since they were Bell Atlantic and love to play upgrade games with them :)

4. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they may grandfather unlimited data patrons in even with a contract renewal...thats what ATT does

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Doesn't this seem like a moot topic since LTE is right around the corner? If not this year it will for sure be 2012. When all that happens I suspect we'll see a 100 posts on why verzion sucks because they want let me carry my 3G unlimited to LTE, even though I don't use but 1GB.

I can't wait until they kill unlimited and start making all these people that use a phone for the personal Internet source(not saying that's you OP) pay for what they use.

You would have to be on your phone a lot to use more than say 3-4 GB in a month. This whole data bucket thing is ridiculous, $10/GB. 1gig minimum per month and whatever you use you pay for. Thats the way it should be.

7. Bonds79, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Bonds79 macrumors 6502

VZW already has unlimted LTE,once you have it , it is grandfathered, until you change it. Just get grandfathered now to obtain a vzw LTE sim with 29.99 unlimited 3G + 4G data!

And now Because of the T-Mobile + ATT merger, since VZW now will be the number 2 largest carrier instead of the Number 1 largest carrier. They will work harder to keep customers and obtain new customer so I don't see them trying to screw grandfathered unlimited data customers off of unlimited data like att does!

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

AT&T does not terminate unlimited plans that are grandfathered in. I know, I have four lines. Each has unlimited data, and I've just finished upgrading to new phones. At no time did they attempt to take it away.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What about LTE? VZW customers seem to be in a better position in regards to unltd LTE data.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I have a question for all you Verizon iPhone users. I got the iPhone on Thursday and it's been great so far and I know I have unlimited data, but since I got the phone, I have used a heck of a lot of it. I had blown through 150MB within the first day. At the rate i'm going, i'll be over 5GB in a month and i'm not even tethering with mywi. (yet). The most I did was stream pandora for 20 min and 30 min of a netflix movie. Everything else is light web browsing and email. Could I really have used the amount of data it says I have? Thanks guys.
    photo-1.PNG

11. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Use too much data on your att unlimited plan and att will claim you are tethering and try to switch your data plan from unlimited.
    Thats how att trys to screw customers off of unlimited. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1119791

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

From what I understand, they're using packet inspection to determine if you're tethering.

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've had mine for a month and I'm at 5GB. The first week I had it I was at 500mbs.. Streaming uses A LOT of data quickly...

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What about LTE? At least VZW customers know for sure they are getting unltd LTE data and most likely will be grandfathered into unltd LTE data.

As an AT&T customer this leaves me in limbo whether or not AT&T is going to offer unltd LTE data and/or grandfather unltd smartphone data into unltd LTE data.

This makes me want to contemplate switching to VZW to jump on unltd LTE data.