Do I need 64 GB on my ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yOyOYoo, May 6, 2011.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Decided on getting an iPad 2.

Do I really need 64 gb?

What do the 64GB ipad 2 users use all that storage space for?

Mostly MP3s?

Can I really run out of space with just apps?

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I wouldn't think so with all the streaming apps available. I watch a lot of video's on mine and wish I had even more space than 64gb's.

3. Smoothness macrumors regular

If I had the 64 instead of the 32 I would dump all my face movies and 10 gb music collection without worrying about space. With the 32 I just got a few gigs and just use pandora for regular tunes.

4. Megagator macrumors regular

Megagator

Buy the 16GB first. Then if you really feel you need more space try the 32GB and so on. Apple charges nothing for returning a product. Personally, some music, several hundred apps as well as streaming apps make 16GB more than enough.;)

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I originally wanted to get 32GB, but my older sister and brother-in-law talked me into getting a 64GB. I have all my music, at least 12 movies, and 7GB of apps with more than enough room to spare. I pretty much am set and don't have to worry about going over. For the extra hundred it was worth it. Now in the fall when I get textbooks on my iPad, I really won't have to worry about sacrificing movies, music or apps.

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

How are you in college and can legally afford 7GB of apps, 12 movies, and the 64gb iPad?

7. Smoothness macrumors regular

Your joking right?

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Summer job, part time job?
    Who are you to question how they obtain their things?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I work very hard and save my money. Navigon is one of my apps, which alone is 1.8GB. I only have about 80 apps. Just because its 7GB doesn't mean they aren't large ones. I've purchased a few movies through iTunes, but 80% of the movies I own I have purchased the DVD in the past and ripped it via handbrake.

I don't pirate anything, movies, music, or apps. I am completely against it. It drives me insane when I hear other students in my classes talking about doing such things.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I got 64GB iPad and is comfortable with storage

My 32GB iPhone is almost full.

11. Pete the Geek, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I store a lot of videos. There are hundreds of podcasts, some TV shows, and a couple of movies. I only have 12.7 GB left. I travel a lot and the places I go often don't have Internet access. Had Apple offered a 128 GB iPad 2 I would have bought it. Instead, I'm going to experiment with storing videos on SD cards and loading them using the Camera Connection Kit.

12. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can never have too much storage, if you have a large itunes library. i have about 12 GB of apps, 8 GB of music (which rotates everytime i sync) and the rest are videos.

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I have a 32gig. If I watch a movie, it's off a network drive. I have 0 music on it, cause I have an iPod. If I am traveling, I throw a few movies on it. Storage has never been an issue. I NEVER stay at a hotel that doesn't offer wifi. But I do thow a pocket router in my bag, just in case.

14. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I bought the 64GB from the beginning. I still wish I had more space. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I'm hoping for a 128GB option for the iPad 3. :cool:

15. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I'm impressed. If best buy ever gets iPads In I will fill mine up too

16. glen e macrumors 68030

Have a 64 gen I for home use - my ipad2 is now 32 and plenty as everything I need is on my desktop unit (2T)

No tunes stored on ipad2 - they resside on my I4 and mostly using pandora now anyway

rent a movie for a plane flight but that goes away

20- 30 apps, no big deal - 2 -3 keynote presentations of 15 mb each....

This is another thread where there is no answer, we all are in diff situations..I could probably get away with a 16GB if I thought about it...

17. Smoothness macrumors regular

Wow.

18. Synapple macrumors regular

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. If you're going to slap all of your music on it and a selection of movies and whatnot, you're definitely going to want the largest you can afford.

Personally, I bought a 64gig iPad when it was released but I'm using my iPhone for music and I tend to delete movies after watching them on the iPad. I have a lot of apps and pix but I'm nowhere near getting out of space. Wish I had gotten a 32 or even 16 gig.
    Guess it all comes down to you.

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

On my NIB iPad 32Gb 3G original I just bought it was a question of price and the 32Gb model was the sweet spot... $449 for the model I got vs. $589 for the 64Gb 3G model (on shipping or tax from the base PX either)!

I could afford either but wanted the best deal and my 64Gb 4th gen iPod touch that I got for $260 NIB covers my larger storage needs!

20. peled macrumors member

peled

Memory - Big today, will seem very small tomorrow.

21. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

When I buy HW that I can't add memory to, I buy it with the max. Mine has 64gb, I don't know if I'll ever use it all but for the incremental cost of going from 32 to 64 it was a no-brainer.

22. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Perhaps Will works for the record labels, whom we all know assume that all digital content is stollen.

I've actually been filling up my 64gb faster than I thought I would. Apps and video for the most part. That being said I could easily have gotten by with the 32gb if I simply deleted the apps and the video I've already watched.

23. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I've noticed that apps on the iPad (games and such that are not dual binaries for use with iPad and iPhone, iPod touch) are a big culprit of space eaters, especially in games where assets such as texture maps and models have higher resolutions.

Another thing to consider is also games that are dedicated for the iPad once installed, can easily eat up a gig of space in the blink of an eye.

iWork apps are an average of 50MB each and GarageBand tips the scales at 369 MB for an app that cost $4.99 (I'm not sure of the size of iMovie).

So in the end, storage is a premium on whichever model you carry no matter if it's the original 16 gig or a hard to find 64 gig Verizon model.

Take a look at your own apps before slinging the piracy bit around. During the last weekend when almost all the EA games were on sale for 99 cents, I shopped like a madman. There went a few more GB's in the process. ;)

24. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Thanks guys! I guess I'll keep the 64 GB iPad2 that I have on order.

I already ran out of space on my 32 GB iphone... Had to make a lot of sacrifices in movies and music.

Now I am kind of regretting getting it in white, but I'll take it to the store and change it to black if I change my mind.

25. btrav13 macrumors 6502

It all depends on YOUR desires. I have apps and books, which is all I really bought it for. I put one music playlist on there, which has about 30 songs as well as my podcasts. Other than that I have some books and apps on my 16GB tablet. I also have 11 GBs of storage left. So it all depends on what you're going to do with it.