Do I Need A Case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AshScache, Oct 26, 2011.

1. AshScache macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

After years and years of frustration with Dell and many replacement systems under their hardware warranty, I took my latest replacement, sold it on eBay, and ordered a MacBook Pro 15" tonight.

My mother suggested that I get a case (she had one on her MBP 13). I love my Speck case for my iPhone, but I'm really wondering whether I need hard case for the MBP-- its made from a solid piece of aluminum, right? What are the benefits of a case, and do you think I need one? I used to take my PC wherever I went, but I envision traveling with my MBP less, mostly due to the addition of an iPad to my life, in addition to my iPhone.

By the way, at the beginning of the summer, I had a Dell notebook and a Droid. After my Droid was replaced 3 times between June and August, I convinced Verizon to exchange the Droid for an iPhone. 8 weeks later, I have an iPad and ordered an MacBook Pro. Wow, these things are easy to use!

Anyway, thanks for your help!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Aluminum, while a strong metal, is relatively easy to scratch, especially when it's not painted or powder coated, so a case might help there, but it also can trap dirt against the computer and cause scratches itself. If you take good care of your stuff, I don't think you'll need it.

3. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Short answer is nope. I've yet to see anyone needing a case, except the clumsiest of housewives and try-hard appearance-minded chic, the needs of all are surpassed hundreds of times by the MBA, but think having the Pro badge steps up their game.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Having serviced Macs for a while, I can say that I've never EVER seen a situation where a case would have saved some true damage. Cases make the laptop thicker, heavier, and put extra weight on the screen hinges while providing very little real world protection. I've never put a case on any iBook, PowerBook, or MacBook Pro Ive owned and never will. The ONLY thing thats happened to one of my computer that a case might have saved is a small dent in the top of my PowerBook 12" from a TV remote falling on it.

5. Risasi macrumors 6502

I prefer a padded sleeve and only a sleeve most of the time for transport. Booq Vyper is my favorite right now. If I'm carrying a bunch of stuff that day the laptop and sleeve goes in my old bag.

Aside from that I use mine naked...

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Better than a case is a proper bag for transport. I've used backpacks for years and never had a broken laptop. Current case is a Brenthaven but I've had a few Targus cases - replaced twice under their lifetime warranty because I wore them out. Some people prefer messenger type bags and others like briefcase type bags. When you're using it, a case does nothing and hides the nice aluminum finish.

7. AshScache thread starter macrumors newbie

My plan has been to continue to use my nice Kenneth Cole briefcase that I've had for years when I transport my MBP. As I recall, the notebook compartment in that briefcase is much thicker than an MBP (and the padding has become a bit....perfunctory over the 10+ years I've had the briefcase) so it might be that a sleeve would fit in the briefcase also. Thanks!

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Your plan is ideal. I never use anything to cover my MBP's or MBA's while being used. It gets in the way of good cooling via airflow around and under the laptop.

When transporting them I have a selection of rather expensive, highly protective cases. It's well worth it. When I use a nice leather briefcase style that may not be laptop specific, I use a Waterfield sleeve inside the briefcase.

Made very precisely for Macs, the quality & fit is stellar. You can check them out at:

www.sfbags.com

9. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I bought a Speck Black Satin case for my 13" MBP. I know it wouldn't stop a bullet, but I think it makes it a bit less slippery so less likely to be dropped.

10. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Just get a padded decent sleeve for it, then you can chuck it safely into any bag that's large enough.

11. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

speaking of bags, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a 15.4" MBP. Mainly looking for something that's low profile, well padded, and simple.

12. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I was in the group who had never EVER used a case on a machine but I grew tired over the years of always having to think twice about where I set my laptop or cleaning a table before putting it down (to avoid scratches or scuffs). So when I got a MBA earlier this year I picked up this case/cover and fell in love:

http://goincase.com/products/detail/perforated-hardshell-case-cl57887

It looked REALLY nice on the Air and hardly added any weight at all. Now I'm back to a MBP which is already a bit bigger and heavier and I bought this same case for it but not sure how it will look/feel on this style machine. It went great with the Air but I'll have to report back and let you know if I stick with it on the Pro.

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I used to have a Speck satin case on mine but i didn't really like it so i switched to a sleve. Now I'm much happier, and I can show off the glorious aluminum as well ;)

14. fingerman macrumors member

15. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I managed to dent my new MBP somehow while it was in my backpack. The Apple store replaced the unibody for free and ever since then I have kept a Spek Case on it. I feel a little safer with it on.

[​IMG]

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Hard case is a MUST for me because I carry MBP with me everywhere I go everyday. I use Speck See-Thru Clear hard case and also I use American Eagle messenger bag that have 15 inches sleeve. Hard case plus sleeve give me double protection.

17. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My wife may have just been totally lucky but she managed to have her 13" Pro fall from the coffee table to the floor. The corner of the Speck cover broke at the corner where it hit the floor but there was no damage at all to her Pro. THe case may not offer much protection but in this one instance at least it offered enough.

18. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the body or the lid?

19. spagthorpe macrumors newbie

I went with kind of a hybrid. I looked at sleeves, but at some point, you take them out and they aren't protected. I thought about a hard skin, but I didn't like the reviews on any of them. I ended up going with a Thule case. It's barely bigger than the 15", and it's rigged so that if you want, you can pull it out and open it still in the case. Of course it blocks your lid and logo, so you lose coffee shop cred.

This gives me more flexibility. I've read about too many of the hard shells blocking ports. I like the idea of them, and if I saw one I really liked, I might go for it. I'd prefer not to be able to just toss the MBP in a backpack with nothing else. I would worry about dirt/dust getting between the shell and body and scratching it bad. Seen it happen enough on phones.

20. randomrazr macrumors 65816

speck cases dont block ports

21. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i like the clean look of the macbook pro line so i prefer no case.

22. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the speck case keeps the overall sleek look of it

23. DemonicZeus macrumors member

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

:cool: