Do I need an eye doctor?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Geekbabe, May 8, 2012.

1. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I'm seeing so many posts here from people unhappy with the screens on their iPads that I'm wondering if I need to get my eyes checked? I'm really happy with mine.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

People are generally more vocal when they are unhappy. All the happy ones, usually the majority, are a much quieter bunch. I think your eyes are fine. :)

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree, your eyes are fine. If you're not seeing a problem, don't worry - be happy.

Mine new iPad is fine and I've done all the pixel checks, etc.

4. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

I would only see an eye doctor if you can't see the advantage of a retina display. As long as you do, you're fine :D

5. PaulWog Suspended

Some people truthfully are getting bad screens that have yellow or pink tints. Some people are getting a lot of backlight bleeding.

As far as dust under the screen and missing pixels goes, I haven't seen many pictures of those issues, but I've heard about that too.

A lot of people are very picky about these things. But I think quite a few of the complaints are reasonable too.

For me, my screen is next to perfect. I did get a couple stuck pixels that are now unstuck. I did get some backlight bleeding that seems to have improved a fair bit (but it's still there, just not bad at all anymore).

My screen, despite just a couple slight tiny complaints I mentioned above, is really nice. If it were a television screen that I were watching from afar with black bars at the top and bottom all the time, I might have an issue with it (backlight bleeding would be more annoying)... but even watching YouTube videos with black bars I don't notice it given the viewing angle (and the fact that the backlight bleeding only shows up in pitch dark situations with a whiter color going on in the picture in combination with the black bars).

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Hey, OP....

Nobody is interested in how happy you are....if you dont have something negative to contribute move along to the Apple forums.....

:D

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm very happy with mine, I can't see any fault with it.

8. MykullMyerz, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I actually wondered the same thing when I saw all the complaints on this forum. I looked and looked and could not find anything wrong with my screen and thought it was me. However, once I saw some other posters make threads about their screen being perfect I figured maybe I just got one without any issues. And it looks like you did too.

9. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

This is somewhat ironic because my screen looks slightly pink when I have my glasses on. Must be something to do with the coating on the lenses.

I'm really happy that people are happy with their screens. However that doesn't mean people aren't having problems. One thing i wish I could do is to show each of you the two iPads I sent back, and ask, if it were your money that had paid for them, whether you'd accept them. I strongly suspect not. But I can't do this so people have no real idea. However, this being the internet, not having a clue is no bar to people speaking out...:rolleyes:

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

We get it... you took 2 iPads back. Move on.

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I only looked at my "The New iPad" without my glasses so as to eliminate any imperfections. :rolleyes: Then I looked at it last week with my glasses on and was appalled to find out the it looks even better with my glasses on. :eek:

12. rkahl macrumors 65816

People who don't like the White Balance of their screen should turn off auto-brightness and stop comparing their screens to another variable. Apple has never defined their white balance on any of their screens, so comparing one to another solves nothing!

13. ucantgetridofme macrumors 6502

14. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

How about this: I will if you will? Maybe that would be ... too much?

I post what I do to help people. I'll continue to do so.

15. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

In my particular part of my building there are 4 people (including myself) with 3rd gen iPads. None of us are having issues with screen temperature or anything like that. I had some issues with dust under the screen with my iPad 2 and did a couple of returns, but I'm the only one I've seen in real life who's had those issues. I used to look at everyone's iPad 2s to see if they had the same problems with dust that I was having, and I never found another one. (I think the refurbs tend to have some dust in them because they get taken apart and put back together.) So I was just getting some bad luck, I guess.

There are some people with problems, and those people will bitch loudly. And that's ok. But don't take that as there being a widespread iPad 3 problem, because there really isn't.

16. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm really happy with mine, too. Just enjoy it.

17. The Special One macrumors member

He asked me to ignore him which is the best option. One is truly left poorer by reading his repetitive crappy.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

So do those of us who let people know that, despite what some would have them believe, the iPad is not a flawed piece of junk and that the majority are just fine.

19. nickn, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

nickn macrumors 6502

Thank you for being such a good member of the community! Everyone appreciates it when all you do is post "move on" every time... Also, I have to add, what does in time out mean on here? You are truly the first person I have ever seen with that status.
    EDIT.
    I found it. Here is a review from the FAQ. "In Time-Out means a user's account has been temporarily suspended for breaking forum rules, as a warning not to repeat it." I guess the mods also saw your extremely helpful presence here, and decided to reward you. If anyone needs to move on, I have a hint who..........

20. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

My eyes suck weenis, so I can never enjoy the retina to its fullest.

21. The Special One macrumors member

As with most things the truth is somewhere in between. Obviously, the New iPad is not a flawed piece of junk. I use mine all of the time and overall it is satisfactory. My guess is the majority are fine screen wise for their intended use. There are, in my opinion, more than a few that demonstrate significant screen issues, so it is a bit of a lottery whether you get a "good" one or a "bad" one. I think the technology is new for these screens in this size device and that the QC screen variance is wide on acceptability. I think the next generation will be much better. It will be interesting to see if this happens by the end of the year per the latest rumor.

Those that stick their heads in the sand and say there is no problem ignore the continual reporting of same. This isn't going away. Those that expect perfection, fly speck their device, and continually return devices are also misguided. The device is what is....the best tablet out there with cutting edge screen technology.....albeit with more than a minor screen problem.

----------

As with most things the truth is somewhere in between. Obviously, the New iPad is not a flawed piece of junk. I use mine all of the time and overall it is satisfactory. My guess is the majority are fine screen wise for their intended use. There are, in my opinion, more than a few that demonstrate significant screen issues, so it is a bit of a lottery whether you get a "good" one or a "bad" one. I think the technology is new for these screens in this size device and that the QC screen variance is wide on acceptability. I think the next generation will be much better. It will be interesting to see if this happens by the end of the year per the latest rumor.

Those that stick their heads in the sand and say there is no problem ignore the continual reporting of same. This isn't going away. Those that expect perfection, fly speck their device, and continually return devices are also misguided. The device is what it is....the best tablet out there with cutting edge screen technology.....albeit with more than a minor screen problem.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah if im in a car with tinted windows my screen looks pinkish. hmmm

23. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

No problems with mine at all!

Don't forget there are apple haters out there too that will post anything bad about apple..... Then people like me, who love them :)

iPad 3 has been a big step from iPad1 for me, so I'm happy!

24. seadragon Contributor

Well, as someone who bought and returned 4 new iPads, let me say that I am a huge Apple fan. My house is literally full of Apple gear and I am fully entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. Never had any issues with their products... until the new iPad screen quality.

Yes, there is a problem with some of them. And it doesn't feel good when you get 4 bad ones in a row. Makes you start to wonder just what is going on.

I think you'll find that most of the people complaining about the screen quality are long time Apple customers and have grown accustom to receiving high quality products from Apple. This is why those of us with bad screens are a bit upset.

Is it the new cutting edge technology or poor QC? I don't know. But it's not typical Apple quality.

25. Geekbabe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I am most assuredly not saying that there aren't people who are having screen issues & would never sneer at anybody's aggravation. LOl, I was just seriously wondering if perhaps my eyes aren't discerning enough to spot problems that I would notice if I were more practiced at judging screen quality.

I am sorry for those who end up having to go through the trouble of exchanging devices & hope you get a great screen for your trouble.