Do i need more ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David-fr, Mar 23, 2011.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Based on this screen shot, do i need more ram?

[​IMG]

Is there a way to save ram? I don't want to upgrade but today i used it as a normal work day machine and it lagged A LOT!

Also, is it bad if i keep the fans running at 6K RPMs all the time it is plugged in? I like to keep it cool

Thanks,
    David

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on your swap used, yes, you could probably benefit from more RAM if that's normal use for you.
    Run fewer simultaneous apps, less Flash on websites, less multimedia, etc.
    Your fans are designed to "idle" at around 2000 rpm and spin faster only when temps are sustained at higher levels. Your MBP knows how to keep itself at safe temperatures, without you intervening. If your temps get too high, (105C for the CPU and 100C for the GPU), your Mac may shut down, to prevent damage. This is working as designed.

3. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Then i guess i'll have to spend some on memory, i work with Flash based browser games.

Say if i get 3rd party ram would apple care cover any issues that may have been caused by it or related to it?

My MPB currently has samsumg stickts

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't make RAM, so all RAM, including that which comes with your Mac, is technically 3rd party. If you install faulty RAM and it causes problems, Apple doesn't cover that, but the RAM manufacturer should. Apple's warranty doesn't cover any 3rd party components that you add, but adding RAM or a hard drive doesn't void warranty coverage on the rest of your Mac.

Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

5. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Kewl, thank you much.

I am surprised how on my windows desktop (quad core 2 duo) with 3gb ram i can do everything and on my MPB i need more ram :(

For personal use MPB is fine but for work it laggs

6. kushed macrumors regular

That sounds 1000% normal

7. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

So does this mean I can install an SSD and add more rams on my 1 week old MBP without voiding the warranty (provided of course the installation procedure did not damage the mac in any way)?

Cool! Didn't know that as I was even thinking about upgrading stuffs on my MBP after the warranty has expired.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Hard Drive and RAM are user serviceable parts, so yes you can change those at any time without warranty issues.

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I agree with GGJstudios. Whatever you applications you have used or are using take up large amounts of RAM. Which is causing you to swap. The only odd thing is your Page Outs is fairly low (in comparison to your Page Ins) so it is possible that you could be fine with the amount of RAM you have now if you could pinpoint what caused your swap file to grow.

10. almac68 macrumors member

almac68

Thanks. The warranty notes will come in handy in case my local apple center says otherwise.

OP: Sorry if I happened to hijack your thread.

11. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Windows virtual machine perhaps?

12. 1quick1 macrumors member

Too bad you missed the sale from Newegg a few weeks ago. 8gb for $65 shipped. They still have it for about $83. It's G.Skill 2 x 4gb 1333mhz RAM. Good stuff.

13. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

14. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah, that would be a large factor :D

15. svenwillmann macrumors member

Honestly, I am leaning towards the other way, maybe I didn’t need all that RAM.

I don’t do graphics but I use my air heavily, every day with lots of different apps open. No video, gaming or the like but lots of processing intensive tasks eg. compile, app server, dev. and the like.

My air feels so much snappier than my prev. mbp and I think you have to look into what it is that really slows you down. In my experience it is almost impossible that it is the amount of apps etc. I reckon it is one or two specific ones (you should see my list of apps that are always running simultaneously).

Attached my screen shot.

Attached Files:

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

OS X uses a lot of RAM because it caches stuff A LOT. You must also remember that you're have an integrated card installed which uses up to 512MB of your main system RAM as its VRAM. Yes you need more RAM but it doesn't matter...RAM is cheap right now. Get as much as your money can buy.

17. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

How do you survive?! I have the opposite problem.

Attached Files:

18. svenwillmann macrumors member

Don't know, never paid much attention to it, just works! It works with my iMacs, minis, notebooks and incredibly well with my air. The air is one of the fastest machine for my kind of tasks I ever laid my hands on.

Attached Files:

19. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Yes you need to upgrade. Buy a 4th chip and replace one 2gb chip and see how you get on

20. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Given that work apparently involves Flash, that's not really a shock - Flash on OS X is a memory and CPU hog...

21. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

\
    yeah plus that i need to run Windows side by side

22. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

I added 8Gb ram :) for 90$.

I put 2GB in Windows and 6Gb in mac os.. THis should be enough, i haven't fully tested but i think this should suffice me.

23. euphoria47 macrumors member

I never took the time to understand all of these figures in Activity Monitor, but since we are all showing off:

[​IMG]

Looks to me that I may need more ram too? So Page in/out and Swap is an indicator that memory is borrowing hard disk space?

I should go from 4 to 8GB? I do a lot of encoding, some gaming, lots of intensive stuff, but maybe ill restart, and see what my baseline is without handbrake or SC2

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If that's normal use for you, probably.
    Not page ins, but page outs and swap used, yes.

25. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

If your Swap Used is regularly > 0, I'd start thinking seriously about getting more RAM. But if you rarely swap or page out then you probably don't need it.