Do I need More Ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trackbikes, Mar 12, 2014.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

Got a new 27 imac a couple of months ago and I am wonder if i should upgrade to more ram..

I occasionally get a few "beachballs" and chrome sometimes becomes unresponsive..might or might not be related

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

swap memory is 0 out of 1gb being used, so it seems that OSX is not moving any ram pages to free up resources, that is you don't need more ram

Chrome in if itself is not the most efficient of svelte app so I wouldn't base your need for ram on that one application

3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor on the Memory tab. It will tell us what is going on.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Normally if your computer feels slow, you should check what type of hard drive you're using first, because HDDs usually tend to be more of a bottleneck than running out of RAM.

If you're using a HDD, no surprise there. Beach balls rarely occur on SSD Macs (or even Fusion ones)

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have a HDD and it boots in 30 secs, and every application opens instantly. Only place where the HDD would feel slow is importing and exporting large files. App Cache also allows previously opened apps to open instantly. HDD's are no slouch, it will most likely be a resourse hog, or crap running on start up.

6. GenoFloresAZ macrumors newbie

If you need all those programs running, I would suggest more RAM. If not then just quit the programs when you are done using them.

As for the beachball problem, try backing up your important data and perform a fresh install of Mac OS X.

7. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the screenshot of the memory tab ..(sorry for the delay been away for a few days)

[​IMG]

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Borderline. You don't _need_ more RAM, but it won't hurt. I think you have four RAM slots. Check what you have in these slots. If you have four 2GB chips, then I'd recommend replacing one of them with an 8GB chip (for every chip you put in you have to remove one of the old chips, so adding 4GB chips isn't really worth it). If you have two 4GB chips, then you have two empty slots and can put in whatever you like. Quite often people who did upgrades have spare chips lying around, so you could ask around your friends.

9. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yeah I have 2 4gb slots used so was thinking about getting 2 X4GB modules