Do I Need the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dmunjal, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I've got a 64GB WiFi, Zaggmate with Keyboard, and a ClearSpot 4G. I'm happy using FT on my iPhone so don't need the cameras. I am also satisfied with the display and overall performance so don't need the higher resolution or faster CPU. I'm not sure I get much out of upcoming iPad except for the additional RAM. Obviously, I don't need 4G as I already have it with the ClearSpot. Anything else I'm missing?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like you've got everything covered. Enjoy your iPad.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There is a monumental difference between wanting and needing.

Oh and no one here knows you or anything about your circumstances to make any real decision whether you need somthing or not.

But seeing as you've already made the choice to buy an iPad, a zaggmate, and a clearspot 4G, you are obviously capable of making some decisions yourself without checking with us here. So be a big boy and decide for yourself
    :rolleyes:

Redundant & silly thread!

4. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Rude and useless answer. What is wrong with people that they have to be so nasty?

To the OP - I have been asking the same question and pretty much have come to the same conclusion as you. There don't seem to be any rumored changes that would make me want to or need to upgrade, so unless they come out with something really amazing that has not even been rumored yet, I'll be happily sticking with my first gen and see what the next refresh brings next year.;)

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

^agreed.
    Only you know if you need the new iPad.
    Btw, you might be saying that you don't need it, but come back to this thread around April and i'm sure you'll have a different opinion.

Frankly speaking 1st generation is never enough. I can see people keeping the 2nd and 3rd generation for a longer period.

6. gman901 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I am giving my wife my ipad and I just upgraded to the iphone 4. I only use the ipad in bed to watch movies or read/browse, but the iphone seems to always be my "go to" device because of the size and ability to quickly access what I need . I find that at work, my 11" Air is better for me to use because I can move around my center and still be productive using Citrix to access my desktop. I think I'll wait and see how I do without the ipad before deciding to buy the ipad 2.

7. DWIM macrumors newbie

OP: You seem to be quite well set up. FWIW, one of the reasons I'd be interested in the new iPad2 is if there's an SD slot that's useable. By 'useable' I mean I can d/l picts taken from my camera directly, just by loading the SD card. I've tried other options, which work ok to pretty much fine, but those mean I have to carry other stuff around. The SD slot in my Air is really helpful, about the help I thought it'd be, so I'd think similarly re the iP2.

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Comment did not come across as particularly rude or nasty to me, at least compared to other negative comments I have read on this forum!
    It is a perfectly valid point - without knowing everything about OP & how he uses his iPad it is impossible to answer. Plus of course none of us actually know what the iPad2 is going to have yet so yes, all threads like this are "redundant & silly" really! :D

9. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Your current setup does the job just fine for you

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

The massively increased text clarity is a big enough reason for me to want to upgrade. When reading my iPad after reading my iPhone 4, it's really noticeable just how bad the iPad's display is compared to the iPhone.

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If iPad2 does have a significantly increased resolution then yes - it will make an excellent e-reader.

12. THiPad macrumors member

I've been reading and pondering this too. So far, I just love my First Gen iPad for everything!!

Do I NEED a camera on the iPad? No.

Do I need a lighter weight iPad? It would be nice, but I generally do all of my iPad work on my lap so the weight is not a problem. However, I can see
    for those that need to carry it around to input info while standing, this would
    be a big plus and improvement.

I am very glad that with the new iOS 4.3 that I will be able to use my
    iPhone as a personal hot-spot!!!

If I do get an iPad2, it would be to give one to my husband so we would be a 2 iPad family!!!

13. joehahn macrumors regular

YES!!!!!!!! EVERY ONE NEEDS AND IPAD 2!!!!!!!!!:p

in all seriousness, you should be completely fine not getting the ipad two unless it is a massive upgrade, which in all reality it won't be. I see it as getting a better screen and more ram because I really don't care for cameras, or any of the other features that it will have. And if the mockups are true to how the ipad 2 will really be, your Zagg Mate won't fit it and those arn't cheap!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But isn't the current iPad already an excellent e-reader?

15. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

17. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

If you are happy then just wait. You know there will be a new iPad every year.

18. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Some people say yes but in my opinion - no. The iBooks software is excellent, but it just does not seem to me as comfortable as reading an actual printed book. Especially in comparison to something like the Kindle, which really is excellent (but obviously is not as versatile as an iPad). Perhaps having a matt screen protector would help (who reads glossy books?!) so that is something I will try soon. But if the iPad2 has a high enough resolution display so that you cannot see the pixels that make up the letters - as on the iPhone4 - I think that would help tremendously.