Do I need to pay for data plan on verizon to get activate LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by albert1028, Mar 18, 2012.

1. albert1028 macrumors 6502

Hey All,

I checked the coverage map and my area (Diamond Bar, CA) says that it is in the verizon LTE coverage. I have not paid for data service yet, but was hoping that through the signal lock that it would help me determine if I can get LTE service at home. But i was wondering if the LTE/4G symbol at top will only come on and be activated when i sign up for a plan?

Any insight and help would be great.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So far, the answer has been yes, as the device must be provisioned on the LTE network.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not sure how it works on Verizon but AT&T you sign up ON the cellular network so you can see how your signal is and if you are going to get a level,of service.

Go to the cellular under settings and start the process and see.

4. ckiggins macrumors regular

As others have said, LTE will not appear until you have activated. Mine would only say "Verizon 3G" until I activated a data plan - then the 3G turned to "LTE".

5. albert1028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. Thanks All. You only can see LTE on status bar if you pay for a data plan, otherwise it shows 3G or lower.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I went to a Verizon store with this question and stood next to a iPad that had LTE on the screen and was told that indeed you have to sign up far a data plan to get LTE to appear.