Do I need to pay for data plan on verizon to get activate LTE?

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hey All,

I checked the coverage map and my area (Diamond Bar, CA) says that it is in the verizon LTE coverage. I have not paid for data service yet, but was hoping that through the signal lock that it would help me determine if I can get LTE service at home. But i was wondering if the LTE/4G symbol at top will only come on and be activated when i sign up for a plan?

Any insight and help would be great.

Thanks!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
So far, the answer has been yes, as the device must be provisioned on the LTE network.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Not sure how it works on Verizon but AT&T you sign up ON the cellular network so you can see how your signal is and if you are going to get a level,of service.

Go to the cellular under settings and start the process and see.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As others have said, LTE will not appear until you have activated. Mine would only say "Verizon 3G" until I activated a data plan - then the 3G turned to "LTE".

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Yup. Thanks All. You only can see LTE on status bar if you pay for a data plan, otherwise it shows 3G or lower.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Hey All,

I checked the coverage map and my area (Diamond Bar, CA) says that it is in the verizon LTE coverage. I have not paid for data service yet, but was hoping that through the signal lock that it would help me determine if I can get LTE service at home. But i was wondering if the LTE/4G symbol at top will only come on and be activated when i sign up for a plan?

Any insight and help would be great.

Thanks!
I went to a Verizon store with this question and stood next to a iPad that had LTE on the screen and was told that indeed you have to sign up far a data plan to get LTE to appear.