Do I really need 64gb or will 32gb do?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mjschabow, Nov 2, 2015.

1. mjschabow macrumors 68000

Hi, I'm going to be picking one up at the store soon and I'm just wondering if there's really a need for 64gb.

I do plan on downloading quite a few games but otherwise, my music collection is all on Apple Music and my movie collection is on Plex.

Just curious if there's any other reason why I would absolutely need the extra storage. Thanks!

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The general consensus seems to be that 32GB is fine unless you plan on installing a ton of apps. However, at the moment no one really knows the answer, since there are very few apps worth installing currently, and no way to copy over content locally (which would be one of the main reasons to need a lot of space).

3. mjschabow thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! I probably will just go with 32gb since I use PLEX for my movies. Can't imagine running out of space.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

Consider that Apple has a 3rd party app limit of 200MB each. So how many apps would you need to come close to 32GB.

The current AppleTV interface just doesn't seem built for mass app downloads. It would just be too messy without folders or categories.

Plus, since the new AppleTV feels very much like a beta product then you'll likely be buying a new one by the time it finally matures (that is, IF Apple actually gives it attention. Tim Cook seems to have a tendency of abandonment)

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily true - apps are limited to 200MB for the initial download, but can use up to 20GB after that. See http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/26/app-thinning-storage-apple-tv-details/.

What product(s) has he abandoned?

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It seems like most apps, even games are under 100MB. Netflix is 12MB, TED talk app is 2.9MB, and YouTube is 766KB... Yes that's kilobytes. As for games, the two I have are 99 and 80MB.

I can't imagine any but the most "epic" of games actually using their 2GB limit or whatever it is. The 20GB steaming limit is for steaming, I doubt the ATV will cache it anyway even if you have space.

At this point I'd say if you're going to keep installed apps to 100 or less you don't need more than 32GB. And that's an absurd number as is.

If they allow local storage of movies that would change but I don't see that being necessary or happening anyway.

7. mjschabow thread starter macrumors 68000

The iCondom. Such a great concept with the reading stimulation levels, time remaining, etc. Not sure why it was abandoned.

8. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Think of the 64GB as having more cache. if you plan to play games, or download a lot of apps or have slow internet then you'll appreciate the added performance of the 64 GB as the OS controls the performance. I'll be getting the 64GB version because for only 50 bucks more it's a no brainer.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you think you will want to upgrade to the next version of Apple TV you may just want to get the 32gb. If you think you're going to stay with this model for a few years, get the 64gb.

But since it may take a while for the app ecosystem to really grow or a streaming service to become available, I went with the 32gb knowing that I'm probably going to sell this one when the newer version arrives with 4K TV and a beefier processor. I think the larger ATV may have more to do with DVR like storage in the future than the small apps that are available.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

As someone said. The limit per app is 200mb for initial download and then up to 2000mb more for a total of 2.2gb per Game/App. My current max size is 97mb. I think most iOS games are < 200mb but games for XBOX and PS4 or maybe 15-20gb and more. So I think in time really good games may start to approach 2.2gb limit. That means about 15 large games max fit 32gb. I am going with 64gb for all my boxes.

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

For my usage, the 32GB model will be fine. It doesn't store media locally, except for caching.

12. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

That could potentially change in the future with a software upgrade though.

13. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I bought the 64, This is a purchase I kinda regret. 32/64 is laughable. I think the gen 3 works just fine. The get 4 does not do anything for me so far and I have used it for a couple days.

14. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

That's not something I expect from Apple. They've been pretty clear about their intended use of the AppleTV.

15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

It would need a heck of a lot more than just 64GB to do any kind of DVR like storage though. I have a 500GB HDD in my U-Verse DVR and even that doesn't quite hold even 100 hours of HDTV video.

Bottom line, unless you intend to do a good bit of gaming with your Apple TV, you'll be fine with just 32GB.

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I wonder if they ever release the rumored tv channel package if they'll allow it to be used as a DVR, in which case space could be at a premium.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

If they ever do that, neither model wil do.
    External storage would be required really.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Mark my words; this time next year, when apps are increasingly sophisticated, and Apple hasn't released a yearly hardware update, people are going to wish they had 64gb.

19. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I agree. I'd rather play it safe and spend 50.00 more now, instead of 200.00 more next year.

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

As a consumer of electronics and computers for the last 20 years or so now, I can tell you that future proofing never pays off. If you don't need the space now, you don't need to pay for it. Just a waste of money. You never get that value back and you usually end up not using that extra upgrade either.

Wrong. Extra space does not increase performance. That is the job for RAM and the 64GB unit has the same amount of it. Also, you're not running a full OS on this thing so if you're in some intense app it will kick old apps out of memory.

Also, you'd be assuming that someone can even fill up a 32GB unit and thus have no free space for cache available. This is also fallacious as it will be very difficult to fill up a 32GB unit.

I will agree with you that $50 isn't a big deal. I personally went for the 32GB unit cause I'd rather spend that $50 on apps or a new apple watch strap. So going 64GB is fine, just don't delude yourself into thinking that you got a better performing unit. It's the same thing, just has more space. That's it.

Yes, your calculations are sound but there is no evidence that any 2.2GB games are coming out. There might be a few here and there, but also it does not mean you have to or will even want to own them all.

Heck, a lot of console gamers don't even own 10+ games so being able to fit 15 is quite plenty assuming that each of the 15 happens to use the maximum space possible... which is highly unlikely.

Yes, if caching ever comes here having more space will be good. However, 64GB isnt a ton of space either when it comes to storing 1080p videos in good quality. I believe iTunes movies tend to be around the 6-10GB mark each, which means even on your 64GB unit you could store maybe 5.

Not to mention that is a big and UNLIKELY if. Let's face it: if Apple intended for people to store stuff on here besides apps they would have released HD-based models.

And suppose for a minute they do start allowing you to store movies on it. Why would you need to? I am sure that everyone who is buying one of these has the connection needed to stream just fine. If your connection can't handle streaming you are probably not going to buy one until that function comes to being, in which case its a moot point at this time.

Sure, Apps may grow in size but I don't think Netflix will go from 19MB to 800MB by next year, and YouTube won't go from 700KB to 1GB either. I can't imagine what kind of Apps (especially ones you would run from a TV) would require such massive storage.

The only thing I can think of is games, which I covered above.

21. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

According to Macworld on the Apple TV4 it does ;) Other factors may be involved but I'm still getting the 64GB version.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I quote from Macworld
    Did you read something different?
    As long as you don't fill the 32GB space on the base model performance will be the same

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I am very glad I chose the 64GB version.

I didn't realize the depth and breadth of apps possible for the ATV4, so far in less than one week there are a ton that are faves and more to come. Racing games, tennis games, bowling games, TWIT video podcasts, even a wall clock. You don't want to run out of room for apps (and the data they sideload).

BJ

24. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Seems like if you're going to be using it as a video player, 32gb should be plenty. I'd be surprised (but happy) if they ever develop enough must have apps for my tv for me to fill it up. But I'm also not going to be playing games on it.

25. webberade macrumors member

webberade

I was on the fence too but ended up just getting the 32gb. Think about what you currently use your TV for. Yes, apps and games are changing it up now but the size limit of apps keeps things in control.

After a ton of apps become available and we all go on a downloading frenzy there will definitely be a moment where I'll take a look and realize I don't use 1/2 the apps I binge downloaded and I'll clear out the nonsense.