Do I really need an screen protector for my iPhone 4s/5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mhrjimmy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Mhrjimmy macrumors newbie

I dont really want to use screen protector in my iphone. It only makes the screen look bad. So can you tell if I really need the screen protector. Do the iPhone 4s/5s easily get scratches from a key, pens, coins (and other things which we keep in the pocket). Please tell me

2. Grmnracing macrumors regular

Do I really need an screen protector for my iPhone 4s/5s

If you carry keys, coins, etc. your phone will scratch. Get a good quality screen protector. I never carry anything in the same pocket as my phone. I'm not using a screen protector. I really don't have any scratches in the screen. Just lint in the areas prone to buildup.

Put your keys on a clip and hook them to your belt loop. It's much easier and your pocket stays free for your phone.

3. mojito macrumors member

No. I had a 3GS for 3 years and my current 4S for 1 year and if you take care of it with common sense, you'll be fine. Just don't put it in a pocket with keys or other jagged items. If you're doing any work where you might be getting dirt or debris all over you, just be careful or leave it in the house or a bag. I don't like cases or screen protectors, so just use common sense and you're fine.

4. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Screen protectors cause other problems. I remember applying one to an iPhone that was brand new. After a few months, I decided to take it off.
    I then found out that the area around the earpiece, which was not covered by the screen protector, would get more fingerprints because the oleophobic coating wore away.

5. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

If you carry anything metal in the same pocket as your iPhone, it is only a matter of time before you scratch the screen.

I have carried my iPhone 5 for the past couple years without a screen protector. I have tried to be careful about keeping it in a pocket by itself, but have slipped up a few times. I have a couple of scratches, but truth-to-tell, it really doesn't bug me. When the screen is on, you can't see the scratches. So it would only be readily apparent if you are the type of person who likes to stare at an unlit iPhone screen.

Only you can answer the question of will the scratches bother you.

That being said, screen protectors tend to pick up scratches way easier than the uncovered screen. So look at your iPhone with a screen protector. How many scratches do you have? Does it bug you? I suspect without the screen protector, you would probably have 1/4 of the number of scratches.

You could try one of the tempered glass screen protectors now being sold (with which I have no experience) which will be more scratch resistant, and may be less objectionable to you than the typical plastic screen protectors:

http://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-screen-protector-glas-t-slim-premium-tempered-glass.html

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I keep mine in an empty pocket. Occasionally I slip up and put my keys in that same pocket, but I have never had a scratch caused by that situation. That slipup does occur a couple of times a week. As soon as I notice that I've done that I do remove the keys and don't just leave them in my pocket.
    If you routinely put it in your pocket with loose coins and keys, you most definitely do need to screen protector IMO.
    I recently have been reading about glass screen protectors. That is what I would investigate if I were you.

7. 617aircav Suspended

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I apply one good quality screen protector each time I get a new phone. The expensive ones last the life of my contract. Cheap screen protectors scratch easily, raise at the edges, and feel sticky.
    As for the naked screen argument, it is usually fine particles of grit and sand which scratch as you slide your fingers over the screen. These fine particles are EVERYWHERE - in the air and you will have them in your pockets too.

9. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I never put anything in the same pocket as my phone, I still have a screen protector. My cases have come with one so I thought why not? That way it's well protected all round

10. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

Never had an issue with any said particles scratching any iPhone screen from gen 1 to current. Screen protectors are nothing more than a way to seperate a fool and his money.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've never used a screen protector for any touchscreen device I've owned, which has included two iphones, and I've never had any visible scratches or damage to the screen.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I removed my SP a year ago. First, they were so tedious to apply. I stopped caring. These phone will get old, be sold, and be replaced by new ones, so why bother? I use a $20 sleeve-type case which has 2 slots for an I.D. and Credit Card and this is it.
    [​IMG]

13. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

The best screen protector is to choose the left or right pocket for your iPhone and agree with yourself that this pocket is exclusively available for your iPhone no matter what.

14. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

I've always used MediaDevil matte screen protectors. Better safe then sorry as I want the maximum return when I sell it. I've only ever used 1 MedaiaDevil SP on each of the iPhones I've had - they're great quality & don't lift (for me) ever, so when I peel them off for selling there are never any scratches. Don't agree with the 'separate a fool from his money' as someone has said above, more about protecting my investment - at £7 a piece I more than recover that when it's sold.

15. phpmaven, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Iv'e never had a screen protector on any iDevice (and I've had lots) and never had a single scratch. Now I am careful and never have my iPhone in a pocket with other stuff. If you're clumsy or careless, then perhaps you should get one.

By the way, keys can't scratch glass. They can put a surface scratch in the oleophobic coating, but they aren't hard enough to scratch glass.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Have any of you guys who 'never scratched a screen ever' looked at your screens under a bright light and really scrutinised them?
    Microscopic grit on your fingers will leave tiny scratch marks. It isn't just keys and coins you need to be careful with!
    Loads of things can scratch glass. Look at your watch crystals, your car windscreens etc.

17. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Yes, no matter how much you "baby" your phone, you are eventually going to scratch it.

I never put a screen protector on my 4 and I kind of wished I did. It's terribly scratched and even chunks have fallen out.

It has yet to crack, that phone is industrial material.

Yes, put one on your phone.

18. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

Completely false.

19. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Think what you want, but scratches do happen and yes, you will eventually have a scratch on your phone.

20. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

Never had one yet. Not too concerned about it. Sorry you have issues with it.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If you buy a premium screen protector and apply it properly, you can't tell it's there. Why take the risk?

22. juanrp, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

✋✋✋ stop for a second.

Just because you don't have any scratches doesn't mean anything.

Everyone is different. I'm not concerned with 'over-babying' my phone because it's a material thing, if it breaks I'll just get another one. I'm not concerned.

I don't have any issues, I was just stating that scratches do eventually (wether it's right out of the both or ten years later) happen.

I apologize that it's not the same for you.

Some people don't realize this, and like Mr. Carmel, neglect to have any scratches and have a perfect phone.

23. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

I've yet to see an SP on a phone that I couldn't see.
    But if it makes you feel better about your device then go for it. I don't use them and don't like them never have. I've also never had a scratch.

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That's cool, but you're also tempting fate. Accidents happen.

25. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

Guess I just like livin on the edge. ;)