Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Buy an airline ticket to a country you have always wanted to visit. (Note: Use the ticket, don't just buy it and put in a drawer).
The experience and memories of the trip will be much more valuable and outlive the dopamine hit from buying yet another computer.
I'm not interested in going out of the country at the moment, and I just returned from a vacation and have two more planned for this year.

I do love traveling, but I'm home 325-330 days of the year, and it's nice to have things I enjoy.

Reactions: Gudi and colodane

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
MacBook Air or pro might be a shout. Bigger screen macOS, portable etc.

Might even make your iPad redundant which you could sell but it’ll scratch your purchase itch…

Not at all interested in a laptop. I miss having a big screen and having something I'm not looking down at.

I've tried putting my 12.9 on a stand and using it with a keyboard but it's just not the same.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I don’t really NEED a desktop. I bought the M1 iMac a couple years ago, and wound up letting my daughter have it. I have a 12.9 iPP that does pretty much anything I need.

But I MISS having a big screen, and using a mouse (I know I can use one with my iPad, but I’ve asked about it and it’s not the same).

Also, I have a terrible urge to buy something. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s the truth. Tech, and specifically Apple tech, is pretty much my only real splurge.

So, yall tell me what I want because I know you won’t hold back. Lol

You could get an ASUS ProArt instead. It's 27 inch.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
LOL The struggle is real.

I'd recommend an M2 Mac Mini instead of an iMac. (I say this as someone who was big fan of iMacs in the past) Buying the Mini and a good quality non-Apple display will end up being far less expensive than an iMac. Then there's the added benefit of when you get an itch for another tech-buy, the Mac Mini can be extended and expanded... the gift that keeps on giving. 😁
I recently bought the M2 Mac mini to replace my aging iMac, and I love it. The iMac is one of the things that first attracted me to moving from Windows to Macs, but over the years, the drawback of all-in-one model has hit me hard. One time, the internals failed leaving me with a display that still worked, but getting it to work as an external display for another computer was a hassle. Another time, the display failed even though the internals are still working perfectly. Using that machine with an external monitor means having two monitors on a desk.

Having a Mac mini with monitor does involve a few more cables than the iMac, but I'm enjoying the peace of mind that if a display fails I can just replace the display, and hopefully the Mac mini will not fail anytime soon. Also, the desktop computer is my least used device. I use it for file management/backups, and the one or two apps I use that don't have an iPad version. So the price is right. The Mac mini is the lowest priced Mac Apple sells, and to me it makes the most sense. And so far, it's working very well for what I use it for.

Reactions: ssledoux

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There's a 2020 iMac 27 for sale for $450 in my area. It has intermittent crash problems though. How intermittent? I don't know. I'm considering replying and asking a few questions: how often does it crash, what are you doing when it crashes, are you the original owner, etc. It's possible that it's a scam, but, if it isn't, then I have better than average skills in diagnosing problems. The pictures strongly hint that the owner is a graphic designer.

The lowest that I've seen a 2020 iMac 27 clear for is $700 in my area. I think that you can get them used from one of the big online stores for about $850.

I like the iMac 27s for video calls.

Reactions: Gudi

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Rumors are HEAVY Apple will roll out the "goggles" in a few days. And it seems very likely that ONE fundamental feature of them will be a virtual screen. Existing, inferior tech aiming to do the same claims to deliver virtual screens of 100-200 inches and there are already demos of those working with iDevices as small as iPhones.

Perhaps stand by and see if Goggles bring you the biggest computer screen you've possibly ever seen... that may work with your iPad. Here's a demo of someone else's tech to illustrate the concept...

Maybe Apple's cut of that (rumored specs much better than that product) will deliver on that concept in a dazzling way... AND help you unload that burdensome cash burning a hole in your pocket. ;)

Wait only a few more days and apparently Apple will reveal their answer to folding and rolling screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allen_Wentz

thenahon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
I don’t really NEED a desktop. I bought the M1 iMac a couple years ago, and wound up letting my daughter have it. I have a 12.9 iPP that does pretty much anything I need.

But I MISS having a big screen, and using a mouse (I know I can use one with my iPad, but I’ve asked about it and it’s not the same).

Also, I have a terrible urge to buy something. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s the truth. Tech, and specifically Apple tech, is pretty much my only real splurge.

If you are in the market for a desktop, I can't recommend highly enough a dual monitor setup with the 32" Samsung M8's. I am using them with my M1 Pro 14" MBP and the experience is just incredible. Mounted them to two arms using this adapter from Etsy.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
I completely agree with the desire for a big, fixed screen, and would add that having it connected to a dedicated computer is for me a large part of the appeal. When I retired my 27” iMac, I tried replacing it with dual Studio Displays on an M1 MacBook Pro; despite the improved space and performance, even plugging in one Thunderbolt cable (I often got lazy and left another Mac on the other monitor) and mentally readjusting to my workspace felt like a hassle compared to just plopping down in front of the iMac. You might feel the same putting the iPad on an external display, so before you try that I’d suggest “pre-selecting” a Mac that you’d be okay pairing with said display.

…Of course, I might just be nuts!

Reactions: Gudi

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'd say go for it if it weren't for the current model's age, it's a pretty bad purchase right now.

Either wait for a refresh at some point this year, or do the M2 Mini + large screen combo as an alternative (side benefit is you get to pick an even larger display than the iMac's).

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

Everyone has their own priorities, preferences and needs. I am one who likes having a desktop kind of setup but also I need portability and flexibility from time to time, too, in MacOS, not just with my iPad. For me the solution has been using a MacBook Pro as a sort of "desktop," with a separate external monitor, keyboard and mouse. If need be, I can quickly and easily disconnect the MBP from its monitor and carry it off to use somewhere else.

I have a third-generation iPad Pro 12.9, and it still serves me well, but not for everyday use in the same way that I require of a machine with actual MacOS.

My first Mac was an iMac, and it was followed by another one but eventually I realized that there were limitations to this setup for what I needed and wanted to do. I didn't want another one, didn't want to deal with the problem of having one component go bad, thus making the entire machine useless, nor was I comfortable with moving the machine around when I needed to do so from time to time.

Back in 2015 when Apple announced the new retina version of the 21.5 iMac, I read the specs, was disappointed for several reasons and for the first time explored the possibilities with using a MacBook Pro as my "desktop." It worked out really well for me, especially since at that time I didn't need a larger monitor than the screen on that machine. Eventually my needs changed, and I purchased the 2018 MBP but also added an external 24" monitor. I'm still using that monitor today with my current 2021 MBP and the entire setup works quite nicely for me.

Before adding that external monitor, though, I was quite satisfied with using just the MBP's screen until I was once again doing more photo image processing and editing, when it was clear I needed more than my MBP's screen to achieve good results.

Think about your priorities, your current usage pattern, try out different scenarios to see how they work for you. MacOS vs iPad OS is definitely different and offers.a lot more in some functionality and features, and that alone, regardless of whatever screen size you might prefer, is what should be the guiding element as you ponder what to do.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
Not at all interested in a laptop. I miss having a big screen and having something I'm not looking down at.

I've tried putting my 12.9 on a stand and using it with a keyboard but it's just not the same.
Lots of sensible and preachy replies here… ignore them all. If you want a desktop then you go right ahead and buy one… Just don’t buy an M1 iMac and wait until after WWDC…

If it was my money I’d buy a 13” M2 MacBook Air and a decent 27” Dell monitor… If I was feeling particularly generous then I’d get the 15” MBA and the 27” Apple studio monitor… that would be sweet… or if you’re dead set against a laptop then a M2 Mac Mini of some flavour…

Reactions: ssledoux

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023

Yes those 2 reasons. I sold a 2015 27" iMac and tried just using a 12.9" iPad only for 3 months. Screen too small and neck strain is real.
I bought a 24" iMac. This was 18 months ago.

IMG_0165.jpeg

Reactions: mvdrl and Lioness~

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
There's also the Mac studio. :D
A) The OP clearly does not require the power of the Studio.
B) The Studio is still only M1, making the M2 Mini a far better choice for anyone who is unlikely to outgrow 32 GB RAM.

It surprises me that Apple has left the superb Studio still on the now-old M1 tech. Perhaps we will see why at WWDC.

Reactions: Night Spring

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Buy an airline ticket to a country you have always wanted to visit. (Note: Use the ticket, don't just buy it and put in a drawer).
The experience and memories of the trip will be much more valuable and outlive the dopamine hit from buying yet another computer.

Depends on the person. It’s the opposite for me.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
To me, this question is just as much an expression of the frustration with the current Mac line-up as anything else.

You really want to buy a 27"-32" iMac with M2 or better and would happily spend several thousand on it.

Heck, we are so hungry for an Apple Silicon 27" iMac that Apple could release one with M1 and most of us iMac lovers would probably still get it over most M2 Macs.

But there's no such thing as an M1 27" iMac so you have to resort to the M1 24" or any one of the just-not-an-iMac options, like a Mac mini or Studio plus a display.

So what do you do?

-I'd hold out to see what happens at WWDC because you never know.

And even if no iMac or equivalent drops, the odds of some current Macs dropping even a little bit more in price post WWDC is always there.

Realistically, however, no new iMac drops and then I'd just go for an M1 iMac.

And even if we see a new 24" M2 iMac, knowing Apple's post inflation price hikes, I'd probably still go for an M1 iMac (the performance increases between the baseline M1 and M2 Macs are acceptable but not worth the price increases from a discounted M1 Mac to a post-inflation M2 Mac).

With all that said, there's no really clear, great choice for you and it's all on Apple.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Rumors are HEAVY Apple will roll out the "goggles" in a few days. And it seems very likely that ONE fundamental feature of them will be a virtual screen. Existing, inferior tech aiming to do the same claims to deliver virtual screens of 100-200 inches and there are already demos of those working with iDevices as small as iPhones.

Perhaps stand by and see if Goggles bring you the biggest computer screen you've possibly ever seen... that may work with your iPad. Here's a demo of someone else's tech to illustrate the concept...

Maybe Apple's cut of that (rumored specs much better than that product) will deliver on that concept in a dazzling way... AND help you unload that burdensome cash burning a hole in your pocket. ;)

Wait only a few more days and apparently Apple will reveal their answer to folding and rolling screens.
The very blatant absence of both pro-sumer level (Apple Silicon) iMacs and Macs Pro has to, at least on some level, be related to Apple wanting as much focus as possible on the soon-to-be announced Headset.

Even Apple, or perhaps especially Apple, would struggle to sell something unfamiliar to its users considering how many well-established hit products it has in its repertoire.

Whether its movies, video games, music or other products, we are all much more prone to buying the "sequel" and next generation of the things we are familiar with instead of risking disappointment the new and unfamiliar, even if the latter offers something better.

-If someone has a $3000-$5000 hole in their pocket and Apple launches a M2-M3 27"-32" iMac or an Apple Silicon Mac Pro and also drops the "Apple Headset" at around the same time, then the tried-n-true "desktop icon" iMac or Mac Pro are far(!) more likely to land a sale over the entirely new Apple Headset.

Yes, I am suggesting that Apple is deliberately carving a hole in their current product line-up to add incentive to invest in the Headset.

And if the specs in the Headset are on par with an M2 iPad Pro and you get to operate it using giant virtual 5000 nits HDR display with super precise gesture controls instead of a mouse or trackpad, then maybe it's a better alternative to an all-in-one iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.