Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I think I'd go with a studio display so you can plug your iPad into that and see how you get on.. you can then always buy a Mac mini if the iPad isn't working how you'd like.

Reactions: adamlbiscuit

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The current iMac is, in my humble opinion, the most gorgeous desktop computer ever built. I‘m on a MacBook right now, but as mobility has become less important for my work, I‘m just waiting for the next (M3 🤞) refresh and will go back to the iMac.

OP doesn‘t seem to have significant needs wrt speed and storage so a base iMac will be a relatively cheap and immensely compact, tidy and stylish way to scratch that big-screen itch. I say go for it! (Or wait until the refresh and then go for it!)

Last edited:

MindYourMind

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2020
The Netherlands
I don’t really NEED a desktop. I bought the M1 iMac a couple years ago, and wound up letting my daughter have it. I have a 12.9 iPP that does pretty much anything I need.

But I MISS having a big screen, and using a mouse (I know I can use one with my iPad, but I’ve asked about it and it’s not the same).

Also, I have a terrible urge to buy something. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s the truth. Tech, and specifically Apple tech, is pretty much my only real splurge.

So, yall tell me what I want because I know you won’t hold back. Lol
I remember a famous Dutch author saying that he had smoked pipe. He loved smoking pipe so much, that he also had a big collection of pipes. He had been a smoker for forty years when all of a sudden he lost his craving for smoking pipe. Suddenly he couldn’t enjoy it anymore. He wasn’t sick. Not a day in his life had he tried to stop smoking. His “urge” to smoke just left him out of the blue.

Now, I’m not saying that smokers who try to stop smoking shouldn’t try that. We decide that for ourselves. And I am also not saying that you’re addicted to buying things. I’m just saying that nothing lasts. Not even addictions.

Like any urge, your “terrible” urge to buy things will go, because it has come. It can’t stay, even if you wanted it to stay. And if it doesn’t go this time, it’ll go the next time. Not as an advise but as an understanding, as long as your urge to buy things is there, why not enjoy it? Don’t feel terrible about it. Just because your urge to buy things accompanies you today, it doesn’t mean it will do so tomorrow.

Reactions: ssledoux

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Hey @ssledoux. Fun post!

Your particular ailment is in luck: WWDC is under a week away. Sounds like all sorts of new Apple fun coming. My recommendation is to hold out until next week and see what WWDC has in store. If afterward, you’re still uncertain, reach back out. We got you. 🤪

Cheers.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yes those 2 reasons. I sold a 2015 27" iMac and tried just using a 12.9" iPad only for 3 months. Screen too small and neck strain is real.
I bought a 24" iMac. This was 18 months ago.

View attachment 2209945

The neck strain really is real. I’ve tried getting my iPad up on a stand (though none get quite the height I want), but I do like typing on the MK, and neither of my Bluetooth keyboards are even close. I hate to buy an expensive keyboard/mouse combo and then wind up with a desktop anyway.

Reactions: Surfsalot

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Unfortunately, I know this feeling all too well.

And honestly, I’m pretty limited in what I can buy/use. We have horrible internet options, and spotty cellular service where we are, so Apple TV, and even homepod are pretty much useless, and I’m not big on AirPods and things like that. I’m always just playing musical iPads/phones. ;-p

Reactions: xxray

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The current iMac is, in my humble opinion, the most gorgeous desktop computer ever built. I‘m on a MacBook right now, but as mobility has become less importnat for my work, I‘m just waiting for the next (M3 🤞) refresh and will go back to the iMac.

OP doesn‘t seem to have significant needs wrt speed and storage so a base iMac will be a relatively cheap and immensely compact, tidy and stylish way to scratch that big-screen itch. I say go for it! (Or wait until the refresh and then go for it!)

I agree with this. I love the look of the iMac!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Thank you all for the replies/ideas. I’ve really enjoyed reading the responses/ideas, etc.

I’m definitely waiting for WWDC before I make a decision on a Mac.

In the meantime, I bought a nice new grain mill, which is something I actually need anyway, since I’ve been storing up whole grain in bulk for the apocalypse. It’s not fun tech, but maybe I can be content with it for a couple weeks. ;-p

I did try to convince my grandson he needed a new iPad for his birthday, but he’s not biting. He just wants my mini. 🤣

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The $$ issue doesn't seem to be a problem in your case, and you really want a good large desktop display. I suggest going to an Apple store and playing with the Apple Studio Display. Hint: find one with the height adjustable stand - it is really a pleasure to use.

IF that experience excites you, then pair your new ASD with a M2 Pro Mac Mini or perhaps a yet-to-be announced upgraded Mac Studio.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think I'd go with a studio display so you can plug your iPad into that and see how you get on.. you can then always buy a Mac mini if the iPad isn't working how you'd like.

Okay I really love the tech, but am not super savvy. How does one actually connect the iPad to the display, and does my Magic Keyboard on the iPad then work as the keyboard? I need to know more.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
There will be a new larger display iMac eventually (I just know there will), that is what i am holding out for myself. The Mac Studio + display is the best current choice but somehow it just doesn't appeal to me the way the iMac does.

Try to satisfy your need for shopping therapy with other things for a while! Apple will eventually come through with something that will be irresistible!

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Okay I really love the tech, but am not super savvy. How does one actually connect the iPad to the display, and does my Magic Keyboard on the iPad then work as the keyboard? I need to know more.
If you have an iPad Pro you just need a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort (depending on what your monitor needs). In order to charge, or connect other USB devices, you’d need a USB-C hub. I have a USB-C hub I use with either my MBP or my iPad Pro depending on which computer needs the inputs.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
yes it does and you can then also use other bluetooth and trackpad or mouse to connect to.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
After having owned an iMac for quite some time I can understand the sentiment of wanting a replacement. There is something intriguing about an all-in-one Mac, in terms of user experience, that doesn’t exist with other Macs or Apple devices.

The simplicity of powering on an iMac and having everything accessible instantly— a large high DPI screen, local files, and desktop-friendly apps is difficult to beat. When you add the benefits of Apple Silicon (including instant wake from sleep) it gets even better.

Rank Sarpac

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2022
I don’t really NEED a desktop. I bought the M1 iMac a couple years ago, and wound up letting my daughter have it. I have a 12.9 iPP that does pretty much anything I need.

But I MISS having a big screen, and using a mouse (I know I can use one with my iPad, but I’ve asked about it and it’s not the same).

Also, I have a terrible urge to buy something. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s the truth. Tech, and specifically Apple tech, is pretty much my only real splurge.

You would be best off in my opinion then getting an external display to extend the iPad screen. Then you have the real estate you like, but also should you need a desktop in the future, you can grab a nice Mac mini or something.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeah I’ve been waiting for the m3 to dip a toe in the Apple Silicon waters, so it’ll be a big enough performance jump that I’ll actually notice it & find it worth the expense. But replacing my maxed out 2019 iMac with something new is also going to require the additional purchase of a PC now, since windows & NVidia are separate worlds from Apple. & if I have to build another PC around a powerhouse GPU for CAD & Ai work anyway, that takes much of the use away from the m3, & budget as well, making me wonder what a new m3 is really going to do for me that my older macs (or even iPad) don’t already do.

joehohoho

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Not at all interested in a laptop. I miss having a big screen and having something I'm not looking down at.

I've tried putting my 12.9 on a stand and using it with a keyboard but it's just not the same.
Fair enough!

You could try waiting to see if the rumoured 15” iPad becomes a thing?!

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
There will be a new larger display iMac eventually (I just know there will), that is what i am holding out for myself. The Mac Studio + display is the best current choice but somehow it just doesn't appeal to me the way the iMac does.

Try to satisfy your need for shopping therapy with other things for a while! Apple will eventually come through with something that will be irresistible!
You can definitely hope for a new iMac 27" a bit longer. I gave up, or rather my 2013 iMac gave up on me last year. It was useless in end.
If I had the choice between iMac 27" and Mac Studio, I probably would've bought the iMac and saved some money. But as time have passed, I actually love the MacStudio and the ASD more then I loved the last iMac.
With that super great Apple Studio Display, I could probably have it to the next Mac too.
Who knows I might even buy another ASD, that can be used together with the other one with the MacStudio, or in another part of the home with the portable Mac at times.
I need to upgrade the MBA before that I guess....just thinking out loud here ☺️

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Fingers crossed that a 2020 iMac 27" replacement will be out 5 days from now. The last one came out 34 months ago.

sherwinzadeh

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Buy a Studio Display and use it with your iPad Pro along with external mouse and keyboard. I've tried it and it's a nice setup for most people. And if it doesn't work out with the iPad Pro, you can always get a Mac mini and reuse the same setup.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO

What would make a difference to me is if I had a way to reliably make two computers identical. If one had to go to the shop for a week, would you miss any thing you needed. Then make one a laptop and the other a desktop and switch between them as you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.