Do majority of MBP users keep their laptop plugged in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacChinoNyc, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I'm just wondering because is it a bad idea to run the battery down to like 10% and then plugging in as needed?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I do keep mine plugged in most of the time... almost all the time

3. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Most modern batteries are ok with being plugged in the majority of the time. However, it is still important to occasionally cycle your battery.

I had to replace my battery on my early '08 MBP because I always kept it plugged in. It eventually swelled and became dangerous. I had to replace it. Now, I end up using my MBP off battery more than on, but mainly because I am away from my desk more.

4. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I keep it plugged in 90% of the time. I think the batteries are cheap enough that it's best to just do what fits your workflow, rather than worry about it. Even if you have to replace it after 3-4 years of usage, it's not that big of a deal.

I had 800+ cycles on my MBP 2008 battery and it would still give me about an hour of charge.

5. fessura macrumors member

I used to. With a new rMBP 13" coming next week, I'll try leaving it unplugged most of the time. If they're good with replacing batteries that don't do so well with the keeping their charge of 80% and 1000 cycles, I figure I'll have a better chance getting there within the 3 years of AppleCare.

6. seinman macrumors regular

I have mine plugged in 80 to 90 percent of the time.

7. bra34b macrumors newbie

I only plug in when the battery is about to die. Otherwise I prefer the portability of no plug.

8. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I only plug it in when playing games. Other than that, nope. I only plug it in when the battery percentage is at a dangerously low 1%.

10. rgarjr, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

how good are these batteries on the rMBPs? The one from my late 2008 MB got all swollen. Luckily I can swap it in like 20 seconds. These however are glued down.

11. Essenar macrumors 6502a

You guys should've gotten iMacs lol.

I'm on the go most of the time. Class, girlfriend's apartment, a coffee shop or just taking it with me to work. I'll be taking it with me to Japan when I move and I fully intend on taking it with me to shops and such.

I bought a MacBook so I could carry it around and use it as a mobile. Using it as a desktop? *purpose defeated*

I'd say I use it while plugged maybe 20% of the time. If I'm working at my desk or at a study lounge with plugs. But 80% of the time, I'm cycling it.

12. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Don't know if I am in the minority or majority, but I bought a laptop so I don't have to keep it plugged in. I only plug in when I need a charge. That's about every other day. Sometimes its 3 days depending on how much I use it.

I never even turn it off. While asleep it uses almost no battery. I charged it one day and didn't use it for 2 days and when I opened it up, it still had 100% battery.

13. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I use a laptop because of the nature of my work. I travel to client sites 80% of the time --- and carrying an iMac through an Airport gets old fast. But, I plug my laptop in whenever there is a plug nearby.

14. Domdog31 macrumors regular

I try to abide by the 80\40 rule as much as possible at home. Charge to 80% let it drain to 40% and repeat. Obviously if I am away from a power source its use it til' you lose it!

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My laptop is plugged in about 90% of time. I do use it off the main power but its plugged in the majority of the time.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I travel quite extensively for my job, so an iMac doesn't work for me
    However, when I reach my destination, I keep it plugged in

17. chakdey macrumors regular

What is better for the battery, to keep it plugged or let it drain to a certain % and than plug it?

18. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Depends on how long you intend to use the machine to be honest. My rule of thumb is, if you have 100%, unplug it and use it to at least 45% or maybe lower.

If you know you have to leave outlets for a while, keep it charged and lower the brightness.

For me, I find reasons to take it away from the desk and use it on my lap. I'll take it to the couch and work there or take it to a cafe or class or take it on the road and use it at a friend's house. I leave my charger in the car because I like to 'enjoy' the long battery life. It keeps it healthy and makes you feel less tethered.

19. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I always keep it plugged when I am at home. I don't see why I should bother doing otherwise :)

20. nerfologist macrumors member

I plug it in at work and occasionally (1 time/month) let it run out of gas to calibrate.

21. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i run mine till i get plugin warning everyday then plug it in and use it the remainder of the day, i have done this will all my macbooks in the past and had great longevity.

22. DayVe3000 macrumors member

My MBPR is virtually always plugged in!

However I wanted to retain the portability option for working away and whatnot - hence not opting for an iMac.

23. Donsig macrumors newbie

I keep mine plugged in whenever I can.. (Which is virtually all the time, as I'm in a computer science class)

About cycling the battery all the time, it's honestly a bad idea. We've tested it with two laptops that was purchased around the same time, and we've cycled one laptops battery (as in 100% to around 30-40% at least once a day) and now the one that was cycled has around 60% capacity left, while the one that was plugged in all the time has around 85% capacity left.

tl;dr don't cycle the battery just to cycle it. (Except maybe once every 2 months)

24. RahulRulz macrumors member

RahulRulz

I keep my MacBook Pro Plugged in when I am at Home and use on Battery when out from Home (College, Classes, Friend's Place or Sometimes Office).
    I believe there is no Harm to keep your MacBook Plugged in but use Battery once or Twice a month.

25. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I never use my laptop plugged in. Plugging in is for charging, like with my iPhone.