Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Most reviews of Macs mention iLife as an added value when comparing it to the cost of PCs but how many people actually use it? Let's look at the individual apps.

GarageBand - I delete this every time I get a mac. Most people I know don't create their own music and pros use more advanced apps. I also don't play any musical instruments so there is a 0% chance I would use it.

iWeb - Personally, I've never had the need to create a website/blog and if I did, I'd probably pay a professional to do it. I still keep this on the 1% chance I would use it.

iMovie/iDVD - I'm a filmmaker so I use Final Cut/DVD studio for professional films. Outside of work, I've never shot a home movie nor made a DVD, though this is probably more useful than the apps above.

iPhoto - This is probably the most used app of the iLife suite. Everybody has photos. For me however, it's still unnecessary. Most of the time, I just use preview to browse my photo library. Don't really have the time or desire to organize and edit my photos.

Personally, I would prefer iWork to come bundled with new Macs. Pages is useful for almost everybody. Who hasn't done word processing either for work, school, creative writing, or just writing a simple letter? Most people have used a spreadsheet app for work/college and a lot have given a presentation.

I guess iWork just seems more productive and iLife is all about goofing around with all your media. I'd just like to get a sense of how many people here take advantage of the iLife suite.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't use it, but I can see why people do. iPhoto is not a horrible photo library/cataloging program, and I actually think the way it displays images is pretty good. iWeb offers a simple way to create websites.

Can't comment on Garageband and iMovie, never used either.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I don't use iLife any more. I don't delete it, though.

I used to use iPhoto, but I've found it easier to just keep my photos in sorted folders in the Finder. I don't have a lot of use for the extra features.

I use Dreamweaver instead of iWeb if I need to write a quick webpage. It's far more powerful.

The last version of iMovie I used was version 6, ever since Apple stripped it down, I've been using Final Cut Pro (total overkill, but it makes me feel like a pro.)

GarageBand I rarely use, but I had some fun with it when I was younger when it was first released.

And what about other people? (I can't say I'm a typical consumer.)

They would probably use iPhoto with their photos, and iMovie/iDVD for the occasional home movie movies. They may have quick look at GarageBand Very few people create websites, so iWeb would sit around collecting dust (or whatever it is that it collects.)

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
They would probably use iPhoto with their photos, and iMovie for their movies. Maybe a little bit of use with GarageBand, but it takes fair big of effort to make something of high quality. Very few people create websites, so iWeb would sit around collecting dust (or whatever it is that it collects.)

I would think that few people create movies and music either.

On the other hand, 95% need a word processing app on their system.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
I don't use iLife at all, although I haven't deleted it since I have enough HDD space to keep it there. I use Aperture instead of iPhoto and Final Cut Express instead of iMovie, TextMate instead of iWeb (I know, totally different, but I don't want a WYSIWYG app for web development). Garageband and iDVD I've seen no reason to use either.

I understand why Apple include iLife on all their new systems, for example it makes it easy for them to advertise the Mac as a perfect multimedia machine, kind of like a plug-and-play. On the other hand I use iWork extensively, and I would love if Apple gave me as a customer the option to choose if I wanted iWork or iLife to be included for free with every purchase (it wouldn't need to come pre-installed, but like a license for free so you just have to download it).

In the end, this isn't a huge problem in any way, seeing how cheap both iLife and iWork is (compared to let's say MS Office).

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I'm also on board for including iWork into a Mac purchase, as I use Numbers and Pages more often than any iLife app.

I only used iPhoto when I had my first P&S camera, but since I capture pictures in RAW I like the way Lightroom handles my pictures more.

And as I come from an editing background I could never get used to iMovie or iDVD, Avid / FCP and DVD Studio Pro are more complex, but easier to understand for me, even if I never used one of those applications. Does that make any sense?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
GarageBand - I have Logic Studio.

iWeb - Sometimes but CS 4 is doing well for me.

iMovie/iDVD - It is a simple and sweet program for just putting things together and throwing it on a DVD. Im thinking about Final Cut Studio but I never do enough video to make me want to buy it.

iPhoto - Aperture, enough said.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I like iLife alot, even though I don't use alot of it on a regular basis. Since I've got an iBook G4 I'm running a mix of iLife '05 and '08 :rolleyes:

iPhoto '08's all I use to organise my photos. Nice and easy, does what I need. Use it way more now since the '05 version was waay slow.

iMovie '05 I haven't actually used in ages. Haven't taken any video that needed to be made into a "movie" but given that I'm studying abroad from September I think that might change. Keeping it around seeing as it's super easy to use.

Garageband (08 I think) I never use for music. I'm studying interpreting so I use it to record myself rambling on.

iWeb 08 I need to get round to uninstalling. Never going to use it.

Wish iWork came installed. I love Pages. I remember when I got this computer Appleworks came with it. Looked horrible but at least it was a word processor out of box.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
iTunes - daily (I even rent the $.99 movies)
iDVD - love it - best "free" app in my opinion ("free"=comes with new machine and is a cheap upgrade if you want)
iMovie - Never
iWeb - when I need something quick or specialized like a photo and blog page
Garageband - used to use Soundtrack that came with FCX, but I like the new garageband with the video layer

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I think if you are new to computers and Mac, iLife is a fantastic suite of programmes to have already installed on your machine. If a user has never put film, photos, music etc on their computer before, this is a great way to start since they are so easy to use. It certainly fulfills the needs for many average users.

I use iPhoto, but will probably be upgrading to Aperture pretty soon. I have used iMovie, which I liked, but since I bought Adobe CS4 I have no more use for it. Though I think Final Cut is better than Premier Pro. I love After Effects. But iDvd and the other programmes available make it so easy for anyone with half a brain to be creative and record their material.

I think iWeb is a great place to start for people to first get onto the web. If they want to get into html, css, javascript etc, afterwards to break down the limitations iWeb holds, then all well and good. Not everyone has the patience or ability to just jump straight into html etc.

I help out with a band which has released albums. The guy who writes the songs uses Garage band just to play around and come up with the tunes, before passing them on to another member who then fine tunes the melody using Logic.

I really like Front Row. It's a great programme. Then there is the iCal which is also useful. iChat (though Skype is more universal) etc.

I do have iWork, and I have tried to use it. But working with PC users who use Word I have experienced problems in exchanging documents. Also trying to open power point files in Keynote has not always been successful. Microsoft Office has set the standard in my opinion and although not perfect, I find it more comoftable to use. Since iWork is so cheap anyway it is a small added cost to those who want to use it. Though having Pages already installed might be a good idea.

The great thing with iLife is that they all work well on the Mac and the potential for greater things is already there.

Also as someone has already mentioned Apple does have to justify one way or another the higher price of their machines. Including OS X and iLife is an excellent way to do it.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I've never used iWork. I use Word and Excel at work and OpenOffice at home. But Pages, at the very least, should be included with a new Mac. I'd rather not have to use PowerPoint, ever, but I'm not so lucky.

I use iPhoto every time I use my camera.

I use GarageBand almost every day. Not only for recording my own and friends music, but for editing some material, like radio recordings and LP transfers, before it goes into iTunes. Music making is one of the biggest hobbies in the world and, by necessity, attracts people with disposable income. I think GarageBand was a brilliant idea for recapturing all the recordists that had been moving away from the Mac, which had been the default system for musicians. Almost everyone I know plays some instrument.

My wife uses iMovie for compiling film clips from her dance classes.

I actually have no idea what iDVD even does.

I use the web design software that my company chose, but if I didn't need to use that, I'd use iWeb. I would have though everyone would have had some occasion to need or want to make a web page. Having an easy to use Mac solution is ideal for the infrequent web designer.

I think iLife is a great addition to the Mac to show how much more it is than a typewriter and a web browser.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I use GB, iWeb, and iPhoto on a weekly basis. They are great for what they do, and a breeze to use.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Music making is one of the biggest hobbies in the world and, by necessity, attracts people with disposable income. I think GarageBand was a brilliant idea for recapturing all the recordists that had been moving away from the Mac, which had been the default system for musicians. Almost everyone I know plays some instrument.

I don't think this is the norm.

I use the web design software that my company chose, but if I didn't need to use that, I'd use iWeb. I would have though everyone would have had some occasion to need or want to make a web page. Having an easy to use Mac solution is ideal for the infrequent web designer.

You wouldn't use iWeb if your company required valid HTML/CSS.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
in my experience - everyone i know uses the CRAP out of iLife.

i personally use iTunes (of course), iPhoto, and Garageband ALL THE TIME.

most of the bands i have played with will use Garageband while recording their own tracks because of it's ease of use, and for it's small use of processing power compared to other products (especially on PC's)

iPhoto is great, my mother - who is now solely using my Mac Mini at her house (makes a boy proud) loves it. she thinks the slideshow is so great and loves front row.

she has all my music and listens to iTunes while she does work - AND uses iMovie and Garageband (albeit very simple features of the two programs) to create projects for college.

infact - iLife is VERY productive, and i don't know how i lived with manually managing my photos, or using protools and audacity on PC

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've never ever used a single iLife app. I wouldn't even know how to start with any of them except iTunes.

They all get removed to save on space. Creative Suite with Bridge does all the image file-browsing and manipulation I need. I'm not into video and I have other audio apps. Dreamweaver and my crappy HTML for putting up something on the web... I'm also on the verge of getting rid of .Mac or MobileMe and relying on other hosting for my needs.

I think generally they're an extremely valuable set of tools to receive with a new Mac rather than some crappy resource-hogging freeware so I can see how they'd all be valuable to many, but not personally to me.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
iTunes is not part of iLife. Nor is Front Row. I'm sure some bands will use Garage Band but what percentage of the population are musicians?

The people I know don't even make home movies. At birthdays, vacations, etc., they just snap a few pictures and call it a day. Most people use iPhoto just to organize their pictures, which is something they can do without it.

Some people on this thread gain a lot of value from iLife and it seems that most do not. I'm sure most of the development costs of iLife are built into the price of macs and I just wish if they were gonna force everyone to buy software, it'd be something everyone will use.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I use iPhoto every so often to do slideshows and the like. Otherwise, I just use Preview to view photos. Other than iTunes, I don't think I have ever used anything else from iLife. I don't even own a video camera or play musical instruments.

I do think a word processor would be of more use for most people, though. That seems to be a fairly commonly used app. I personally just use OpenOffice for those kinds of thing, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.