iPad Do new laws mean no more iPad jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Jan 24, 2013.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I read that as of Saturday, unlocking phones not provisioned by the carrier will be illegal as well as jailbreaking tablets (but not phones, phew -- still, what a buzzkill).

Does this mean when the jailbreak devs release their new tool for iPhone 5, they will have to exclude iPad as a compatible device?

Also, I wonder what the rationale was, if any for specifically excluding tablets but not phones, etc.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I iz curious.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Seeing as how US laws never allowed the iPad or tablets to be jailbroken, I'd say nothing will change.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

US might not have encouraged tablet jailbreaking, but have they up until recently actually expressly forbid it?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was always prohibited under the DCMA restrictions. This only things that where excluded from it were iPhones, cell phones, and iPod Touches. Tablets and iPads were not included in the exception because at the time tablets weren't very big in the market and the iPad didn't exist yet.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I see.

So now they are specifically adding iPad to the DMCA list of devices that aren't allowed whereas before it was assumed but not drawn out in detail?

Makes you wonder, why the line is being drawn between an iPod touch (or as I enjoy calling, iTouch) and an iPad?

Plus I hadn't thought about pod2g being from France, and planetbeing from Canada even though it's sort of off-topic to the subject at hand.

This unlock ban is gonna put an end to those inside people selling the authorized unlocks I guess, huh? Must have really upset somebody, most likely the carriers.

Even if my phone were locked for an eternity, I would never ROAM for months on end in another country. Does AT&T think people actually do that? And won't at least call up and argue to get the bill reduced significantly due to negligence?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The list of forbidden devices hasn't changed. The iPad is in the same place as it was when it came out. I believe the iPod Touch is excluded from the DCMA because it is called out by name as being excluded. The iPad Mini is in the same place as the iPad, not allowed to be hacked. They both fall under the general "Do not Hack" umbrella of the DCMA.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt its going to put an end to people selling iphone unlocks.
    The only thing it will stop is the ebay auctions. They can still sell them if they put up a website like swift unlocks for example:D

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It has always been illegal, remember, that just because you don't know a specific law that exist does not mean you can get away w/ breaking it.

Nothing new, and apple will not sue you.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Really? :confused: I've read many times that Jailbreaking was legal in the U.S, and all it did was end your warranty... Oh well - It's all illegal now anyway.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Jailbreaking is not illegal. Unlocking is, per the DMCA. The LoC has always exempted jailbreaking from the DMCA provisions.

BL.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah, thank you.

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Jailbreaking iphones is legal, iPad were never mentioned in the DMCA.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

And the WiFi iPad would be exempt from everything, since unlock cannot apply :)

14. Intell, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not quite. The WiFi iPad is still illegal to jailbreak.

15. Preed08 macrumors regular

But, there's nothing to unlock...jailbreak is a different story

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    That's true, you cant carrier unlock something that doesnt access a carriers network such as a wifi only device:D
    JB is still considered illegal for the ipad though but who really cares.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That was a mistype on my part. I meant to say that jailbreaking a WiFi iPad is still illegal in the US.

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

What if my iPad has been jailbroken before it was expressly forbidden? Am I forced to restore up to 6.xx?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPad's were always forbidden to jailbreak because they were never exempted from the DCMA.

20. djdsas macrumors member

I'm not sure if anyone actually answered the question? Regardless of whether it is legal or not, does anyone know if the new jailbreak tool will be able to jailbreak the iPad in addition to
    iPhones and iPod touches?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it was still able even when jailbreak iPads was forbidden, because it was always forbidden. The only device it won't be able to jailbreak is the Apple TV 3.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

As were iPhones, right?

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For that, you will have to wait until it is released, if it is ever released, and find out. The various jailbreak teams will let everyone know. You may want to follow the planetbeing/pod2g threads in this forum for news on that.

BL.

24. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

NO iphones are exempted, so you can legally jailbreak the iphone.
    You can also legally unlock the iphone if bought prior to today.

25. scaredpoet, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Realistically, I really, really doubt that the Feds are going to bust down your door because you jailbroke your iPad, nor is anyone going to out a gun to your head and force you to restore your iPad to iOS 6.0.1 stock.

Technically, it's always been illegal to jailbreak your iPad under the DMCA. Due to quirks in the law, exemptions have to be very specific as to what's allowed, and the past exemption that allowed iPhones to be jailbroken ONLY mentioned phones. Without an express exemption for tablets, that has always been prohibited under the DMCA. That doesn't change today.

But again... no one raided your house when you did it, right? Granted, I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling that right now, law enforcement has more important things to do. Maybe the situation would be different if you were offering a service to jailbreak iPads for cash, or were running some iPad clone business that installed iOS on Android tablets, ala Psystar. then I think Apple would start turning the heat on you and use the DMCA to do it.