Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree with this Guy

• Total voters

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I wasn't in the market for one because I own a 7 Plus, and it's barely new. But the new glass back/design changes almost make it worth it alone. It finally feels like a premium phone - it's weighty and grippy.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I just got the iPhone 8+ and I'm loving it! I really don't like the look of the X, I don't like that there's no Touch ID and I just don't think I'm ready for that much change yet! A year or two and everyone will be definitely on that wave, but I'm so happy with the 8+ now, it's amazing!

lyutin

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Agree with him 100%. Iphone 8 shouldn’t have been made. Instead x should of been the 2017 version. 7 and 7plus still available-there goes the choice for people that can’t afford or can’t justify getting the X. And he is 100% on point with what he says about Apple as a company, they became greedy and arrogant. And if you don’t see that, take a moment to view the 8, 8plus and X memory allocations (64 vs. 256) seriously, you don’t think someone may want the 128?! Greedy.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Watched about 40% of video. Some of what he says is true.

An example is Apple cheaped out by not including something more powerful this year with their phones.

But I knew this before clicking anything.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I understand the rant about Apple, however I made a personal choice in getting the 8+ and not waiting or wanting the 10. So for me his rant didn’t mean anything to me. Apple can have the same design over and over again, and if I want to buy it as an individual, that’s my choice. I’m not concerned about the exterior looks of it at my age. I care about the iOS and what it will do for me.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
As an iPhone 8 Plus purchaser, I watched the video and while I might not agree with a lot of what he said, I do concede that on a few things, he has a point.

Specifically, his point about Apple touting features such as fast charging and then not supplying the accessories required to utilise it. For the prices they charge, there isn’t really an excuse for this - regardless of whether it’s a feature that people particularly wanted. Then the inferior wireless charging compared to rival devices (I haven’t tested this so I don’t know for myself).

And going back a few weeks, I would have been in total agreement that yet another new iPhone 6-esque phone would be a total joke. But back then, the price tag and questionable design choices on the X weren’t confirmed (before anybody starts, not the notch itself, but how the notch is deliberately prominent - just my opinion, it’s awful). Now that I do know the X isn’t what I was waiting for, I’m thankful they did release the 8.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Couldn't watch beyond a few minutes of the video but I do understand some of the points in general. I personally think that Apple "cheaped" out a little by not including the fast charger with the X.

Reactions: Sunny1990

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The guy doesn't understand Apple's business very well if at all. They can't make enough of the X so they needed a stop gap and plan b. I guess some people are just unable to grasp or comprehend this.

Other than the misguided opinion that the 8 shouldn't exist there was one poster that suggested the X should have been offered first and then the 8 next. lol

If it is true they can only make 10,000 a day (which I doubt as that is disaster) it is obvious they could not have led with the X or only offered the X.

In a perfect world perhaps you could question the 8 but given the reality of the situation what Apple did makes perfect sense. Why didn't Apple buy the machines that make LED screens at $50 million a piece years ago is somewhat of a mystery.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agree with him 100%. Iphone 8 shouldn’t have been made. Instead x should of been the 2017 version. 7 and 7plus still available-there goes the choice for people that can’t afford or can’t justify getting the X. And he is 100% on point with what he says about Apple as a company, they became greedy and arrogant. And if you don’t see that, take a moment to view the 8, 8plus and X memory allocations (64 vs. 256) seriously, you don’t think someone may want the 128?! Greedy.
If I was upgrading this year I’d be pretty pissed off if the only offering was last years iPhone 7. The iPhone 8 is perhaps only an improved version but it needs to exist for the vast majority of those upgrading this year. Ideally Apple would have scrapped it and priced the X in line with previous releases but it’s all about the profits these days.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Everything from the title of his video to the still image for the cover is just to draw clicks.

Bottom line:
  • iPhone 8 is a great default choice for customers. It's better than the iPhone 7, but only marginally. It's not meant to entice iPhone 7 users. It's a solid phone and great device. It's launch has been sullied a bit by the launch of the iPhone X, which is the overpriced but new premium for those that wish to buy it.

I'm tired of all the "iPhone 8 sucks" rants across the web. It's just the next evolution of the iPhone. Since when does Apple offer earth-shattering changes year to year?

Side rant: I'm so tired of every official iPhone 8 review video beginning with a cringe worthy "oh, this is NOT the iPhone X" or starting with a video of the iPhone X. I realize this review is for the iPhone 8. That's why I clicked on your "iPhone 8 review"

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
"Four years, four years"

its three years!

2014 > 2017

stopped watching soon after the errors.

Last edited:

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Agreed. I am also a bit tired of people with no interest in buying the 8 constantly budging into threads of people making constructive comments about the device.

Hopefully when the pre-orders for the X begin those people can migrate their negativity to those threads. It will be somewhat satisfying when those people finally figure out that a flying car isn't bundled in with the X.

I just get the feeling the X wasn't/isn't ready and look forward to people doing geekbench tests while running animated turds on their new phones. I think there are going to be teething problems with the X. Something like the notch peeling off the glass or something like that.

The South Park episode with Cartman in Best Buy with his mom buying an iPad comes to mind with the mentality of some of the latest and greatest posters.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
"Four years, four years"

its three years!

2014 > 2017

If you look this way :-
biggrin.gif

2014 -> iPhone 6 (Same design)

2015 -> iPhone 6S (Same design)

2016 -> iPhone 7 (Same design)

2017 -> iPhone 8 (Same design with only glass back)

So over all it's same design unit September 2018 when the new iPhone comes out. (Which makes it four years of total)
uncontrollable%20laughter.gif

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
"Four years, four years"

its three years!

2014 > 2017

Count it off with your fingers...it's four years. Not three.

If you still don't believe...ask a friend.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I mean most of what he says is fact so how could one not agree, there’s some opinions and hyperbole sprinkled in but yeah mostly facts... Apple is annoying af with the way they do things but android is so horrible that I deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.