Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I unfortunately ordered a yoobao. Below is a list of it's problems. It is still usable but isn't worth getting because of the magnet.

It smells awful.
The magnet is too weak to work.
The iPad 2 does not sit in it right.

micesol

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
I love mine

I got mine two weeks ago. I have no problem with the magnets and the case fits perfectly. This is from the second batch where the sleep function with magnets has been fixed. As for the smell, for me it was like a new car smell, which goes away over time. I am buying another for my mother's iPad 2.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Love my yoobao got it today. The magnets are kinda weak but a rubber band could fix that. Love the look, feel, and slimness. Peserves form factor well. So much slimmer than my iPad 1 and the incase jacket.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I bought 3 Yoobaos...2 with the horrible smell (returned), then my last from AYL on Amazon. No chem smell...just like a new leather smell. Now its perfect. Dont ask me why...but the new one is a tad softer and creases more easily. It "feels" much better than the first batch. That smell made me sick:(

thanks for the advice. i had one in the cart and am glad i read this first...

Robert7200

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
Just received the new Yoobao black leather iPad 2 case (latest generation) yesterday afternoon. The smell of this case is really bad! Initially thought it was just a very strong leather smell, but after having it my home for a several hours, it really reeks. Seems to be some kind of chemical smell. Perhaps it is the chemicals used to treat the leather or dye the leather black. In any case, I am very concerned that it might even be toxic. Remember the toxic drywall issues that came out of China a few years back? The Yoobao leather case also comes from China! I went back online this morning to check if I have received the so called "latest generation" case that corrected this odor issue. Based on all that I have read, and the pics included, it appears that I have the latest generation case. Its too bad that this case smells so bad. If Yoobao can correct this issue, it really will be a great iPad 2 case.
Will be returning this nasty smelling case asap!

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
How is this case holding for everyone? since it's almost 6 months from beginning of this thread.

My smelly cover was replaced by them to non smelly one :)

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I still use my Yoobaos everyday. works fine. I have a black and a red one. haven't seen anything that beats it, but I got mine for $14ea when amazon discounted them months back.

mine is the 2 or 3rd gen, with mag on/off and no smell. I like that it is grippy too, I can carry it under my arm securely. I hate slippery cases.

Ended up returning the last Yoobao...the ports just wouldnt fit right. Bought a Toblino 2 based on some reviews, and all I have to say is PERFECTION. Fits securely, much higher quality than the Yoobao, ample padding (slightly thicker than with Yoobao), and the ports are perfectly accessible. I cant recommend it high enough (and Im the pickiest person when it comes to finding cases for my beloved iOS devices).

dqfayi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
it must be a good case for our device. How about iPhone 4S, does it use for iPhone 4S too?

stealthmode29

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Just returned this Case today as well. I'm not really sure why this has so many excellent reviews, here were my issues:

-When folded into viewing mode, the leather is too soft so it doesn't stand and instead rolls backward.

-Alignment wasn't stellar- also please please take note, the border of the ipad will not be equal all around when fully installed in the case- notice how the left side is thicker even in the pics- ok thats not a big deal but why didnt they just make it equal on all sides?

-Mine came pre-creased on the front no less.

As far as the other issues, magnets, smell etc. i had no issues there.

Just my .02 cents. Hope this helps. Also goes to show that you can't trust Amazon reviews. 600 + and no one mentioned those issues hmm..

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
As with everything else, you get what you pay for. Applies to Apple hardware as well as gear. I don't understand why people don't get this.

fawltybean

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Just returned this Case today as well. I'm not really sure why this has so many excellent reviews, here were my issues:

-When folded into viewing mode, the leather is too soft so it doesn't stand and instead rolls backward.

-Alignment wasn't stellar- also please please take note, the border of the ipad will not be equal all around when fully installed in the case- notice how the left side is thicker even in the pics- ok thats not a big deal but why didnt they just make it equal on all sides?

-Mine came pre-creased on the front no less.

As far as the other issues, magnets, smell etc. i had no issues there.

Just my .02 cents. Hope this helps. Also goes to show that you can't trust Amazon reviews. 600 + and no one mentioned those issues hmm..

Mine came pre-creased too on the front. I am sure at the same place. That is what I have seen on most of the YouTube videos-can't trust these video reviews at all. I think these companies pay reviewers for good reviews. So they claim them as genuine leather even when they know it is not true.

My case had magnets(too weak) issue and smell issue. But aligned perfectly.

RoeyShenberg

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
don't know what you all talking about

i have the executive for months now, it never smells bad, and the magnet works great.

this case is awesome.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I just purchased version 3 of the Yoobao case in red from amazon.com. I am extremely impressed with it! It doesn't smell and the magnets are not too strong, but strong enough to keep the flap closed at all times. I was so happy with it, that I purchased another one in the brown/tan. My husband saw mine and purchased it in black. This version three has fixed all of the aforementioned problems with the earlier versions.

dhcl604

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
New York
I had purchased one of the originals and the problem that I found with that one was that the iPad would eventually slide out. I had to put some double back tape on the flap to prevent it from sliding. Does the one you purchased seem like the iPad will stay secured?

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
It's made out of pig skin, maybe that's it. The skin itself or the treatments they use on it.

I had a yoobao case on my first gen and I loved it. The smell went away.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
It's made out of pig skin, maybe that's it. The skin itself or the treatments they use on it.

I had a yoobao case on my first gen and I loved it. The smell went away.

Same here. Great case and I will be buying a new one when the new colors are out.

enola

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
No more bad smells from Yoobao leather cases, as they use real cow leather now.So do not worry to buy them, they are really good !

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
No more bad smells from Yoobao leather cases, as they use real cow leather now.So do not worry to buy them, they are really good !

Which device did you buy for? iPad Air? From what website and seller? I absolutely loved my Yoobao for my IPad 3.

If your new case is for the Air, please show photos and discuss more details. Would love to hear more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.